Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

toronto to montreal in model 3 standard range+. which supercharger station to use to get to Montreal fastest ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all.

I am planning a trip to montreal from north york next weekend. Wondering which supercharging stations should I use to get the fastest charging time without waiting in line to get a charging station?

last trip i did kingston superchargers were all taken then i get off cornwall which is a bit drive from the hwy and wasted 30 min.

During summer, Montréal Belleville is easily doable in an SR+. But beware during cold weather, you won’t be able to skip Cornwall (unless you have a 2021 with heat pump maybe).

Did this trip before in my 2019 SR+, both + 20C and -20C, and never had to wait at any charger for empty spot. In those cases I didn’t find any of them to be a problem even if it far from the highway like Cornwall. We’re talking 2-4 mins extra here, not a big deal for me. That being said, I prefer Belleville because there are more restaurants nearby and I usually make it my lunch stop.

I am planning a trip to montreal from north york next weekend. Wondering which supercharging stations should I use to get the fastest charging time without waiting in line to get a charging station?
No way to accurately predict in advance. I suggest that you let the car navigation decide for you on the day of your trip. Once it selects a Supercharger, during your drive you can always tap on the icon in the map to see how busy it is.

Reactions: Vawlkus
From Toronto to Montreal if you drive slow enough and don't have a headwind (preferably a tailwind) and minimal AC/heat you might make Cornwall. Most likely you will need to stop for electrons in Belleville or Kingston. The former is much more likely to have spots available. You will arrive with a lower charge in Kingston so IF there is an empty spot with its pair also unoccupied you will charge faster there. As mentioned in many places Kingston is a very busy charger so pay attention to availability and adjust your plans when you are traveling. If it is peak times for supercharging better stop in Belleville. Depending on how you drive after Belleville and where in Montreal you are going, you may need to stop in Cornwall. On the return trip, if you leave with 100% from the west end of Montreal, unless it is cold or you drive fast or you have a headwind, Montreal to Belleville is usually doable. Any combo of the above and it becomes a bit nail biting.

Superchargers generally aren't for locals, especially where most would be able to charge in their own driveway. I'm not sure if "size of town" is the right metric here.
OK, well what I guess I mean was I thought they'd put the 20 stall one in Kingston rather than Belleville as Kingston is more of a midway point than Belleville. Especially with there being a supercharger in Port Hope. Don't know what I was thinking saying larger town... I can see how that doesn't make any sense.

During summer, Montréal Belleville is easily doable in an SR+. But beware during cold weather, you won’t be able to skip Cornwall (unless you have a 2021 with heat pump maybe).

Did this trip before in my 2019 SR+, both + 20C and -20C, and never had to wait at any charger for empty spot. In those cases I didn’t find any of them to be a problem even if it far from the highway like Cornwall. We’re talking 2-4 mins extra here, not a big deal for me. That being said, I prefer Belleville because there are more restaurants nearby and I usually make it my lunch stop.

Funny enough, I did the Montréal -> Toronto -> Montréal road a week ago (sept 1 and 3) and got a totally different experience. I feel that I need to update this answer.

First of all, I realized now that when I said "Montréal Belleville" is doable in an SR+, what I really meant was "Kingston -> Montréal", or "Cornwall -> Belleville" as I've done both in 2019 (confirmed by my Supercharging history).

So last week, when I left Montréal with 100% SOC, the car said it couldn't make it strait to Kingston. Weird enough, as I did Kingston -> Pointe Claire in 2019 . But ok, might be something related to different weather, battery degradation or going "down" the st-Lawrence I guess ? Next, the car showed Cornwall as closed. The car navigation actually routed me to the Casselman Supercharger, then back to Kingston using some rural routes between the 417 and 401. Quite the detour...

On the way back, fortunately Cornwall was up and running again. But after supercharging in Kingston (up to around 88%), the car navigation still insisted I stop by Cornwall, which I found strange as I managed to skip it in 2019. The navigation said if I was to skip Cornwall, I would have gotten home at exactly 0% SOC. I think what happened in 2019 is I charged close to 100% SOC to avoid Cornwall. This time (2021), If I would have charged around 95% SOC at Kingston, I would have make it... maybe. For some other reason, the car navigation wanted me to charge 15-20 mins at Cornwall so I would get to my destination (in Montréal) at 20% SOC (I waited 5 mins less than that and got home at ~14% SOC thank you). So I don't know if the navigation would have let me skip Cornwall and arrive below 10% even if I got a full charge at Kingston...

Finally, compared to my 2019 and 2020 trips, there was some waiting involved at Kingston in 2021. On the first day, Two stalls were not working, and a third didn't seams to charge when I plugged in (but a Model Y managed to charge on it later on). In the end, I waited no longer than 20 mins to plug in, plus everyone at the Supercharger was super friendly, which made everything fun. On the way back, I couldn't skip Kingston as I made a detour between Belleville and Kingston. The non functioning stalls at Kingston were running, but where giving a mere 20 kW. I still used them, as they were the only one available and I didn't mind the wait (wasn't too low and took the time to go eat). And again, met a bunch of friendly people at the Supercharger.

So long story short, Montréal -> Kingston a big no-no in an SR+, but Kingston -> Montréal is doable if you charge up to 95% at Kingston. But in any case, I still prefer skipping Kingston (and doing Cornwall -> Belleville) when I can.

Oh and Brockville can't come soon enough.