Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto To Sandusky OH, any intel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
taking the family with me as I have a conference at the Kalahari Resort so we will have some play time for the kids. I ran the Car GPS and its no problem to get there going south of Erie, but I am a little concerned that if I don't find a good power supply at the resort that it may be very tight coming back 2 days later? Anyone have any experience with this route? I see Tesla has listed many along this route as coming in the next year, it doesn't help me right now..... :(. I imagine mrElbe you have probably done it 4-5 times this past year too....;)

I drove a counter-clockwise loop of Lake Erie in August and stayed one night near Sandusky (Catawba Island). It's only 125km from the Macedonia Supercharger to Sandusky, which is pretty reassuring for a 90D. There's at least one CHAdeMO charger along your route as well, 73km from Sandusky, if you felt the need to add a buffer. Everything is on Plugshare of course.

Is 15 amps ok? There are wall outlets in the resort parking lot so it should be no problem if you leave the car for 2 days

Attachments

• IMG_1717.PNG
    IMG_1717.PNG
    537.5 KB · Views: 69
They seem to work well, the last comment was posted in July, so all seems to work. If it doesn't, there is some Motel 6 (2 of them near your hotel) and a McDonald's in Port Clinton (30A presumably) if your kids might want to grab a yummy Happy Meal:) . Despite I think the resort outlets will work: the comments say the staff is very EV friendly and they will help you if something doesn't work.

Sandusky badly needs a Supercharger! It's coming next year...

If you are going to Catawba Island, there is a McDonald's on the way with a J1772 charger (make sure to turn it on: there is a switch on the right side). I tried it earlier this month and I was getting 30A/206V. Not a supercharger, but might come handy if you just need to add a bit to your range.

Last edited:
Yeah then the McD charger is a bit out of the way but you should be fine your hotel is about 100-150 km from the Macedonia Supercharger and your car range should be more than 400km

When I went to a resort in Virginia in March, my accommodation had a garage where I was able to Plug into the 120v Wall outlet. While not a lot of charge hourly, I did not need to use the car for five of the seven days I was there. As a result I had plenty of juice for local travel and return to nearest Supercharger.

This may be possible at your resort also - you add a few more Kilometers while you sleep.

Reactions: Drone Flyer
That's what I keep saying (no offense intended). The comments are all positive and everyone states their functionality. Don't be worried, if they miraculously don't work, bring an an extension and throw it out of your bedroom window on 10 amps. Even, I hear this hotel is very EV friendly so you may find a surprise EV charger at your arrival.

Consider charging fully in Macedonia, OH, and stopping back there again during your stay if you need to to recharge. But it is about 90 minutes out of your way each direction.

Actually, now that I checked, Maumee, OH, seems to be an hour away by comparison. That's probably a better bet, should you go this way.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I am going to use a friends CHAdeMO if I need it and try to go south of Erie, I think with a few days at the Hotel it should be fine and if not we will have to stop at the CHAdeMO at a Walmart to get us enough to get back to a supercharger and going again!

Thanks guys, I am going to use a friends CHAdeMO if I need it and try to go south of Erie, I think with a few days at the Hotel it should be fine and if not we will have to stop at the CHAdeMO at a Walmart to get us enough to get back to a supercharger and going again!
Be sure to review for the next users to come.

Reactions: JHWJR
so update: Back from Sandusky, in the end we charged to 95% in Erie PA, then arrived at the resort, it was raining hard most of the last bit and the car was fully loaded with 6 people (third row Model S) Arrived Wed afternoon with about 20%. Plugged in and with very little interruption to power but still only a wall outlet. By the time we where ready to leave the park Fri afternoon the car had only managed to get to 61% and was not able to get to back to Erie PA. Chose to go out of our way and hit south side of Cleveland to be safe then stop in Erie PA. All in all it probably cost us an hour out of our way total.

Funny side note. Crossed boarder into buffalo, officer takes passports and counts them looks in the car and says "how many people are you traveling with today?" as he counts the passports for a second time. I reply "6" he then looks at me a little bewildered and then I realize he cant see the boys in the back so I say " oh yeah the other 2 are in the trunk, do you want me to open it", well at that moment his eyebrows lift and he says "they are in the trunk? put the car in park, and no I will do it". Trunk opens the i hear the boys say "HI" when it opens and you can literal hear the relief in his voice when he says "well that's not what i was expecting but that's cool boys, have a fun trip". Lets us leave, but we where all having a good laugh about it.