TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Toronto to Tobermory trip

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Pilot7478, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Pilot7478

Pilot7478 Member

I'd like to go to Tobermory ON from Toronto, stay 2 nights in a hotel (with some driving around), then go to Manitoulin island and from there go to Sudbury and return back to Toronto.

On the way there I can charge at Owen Sound Supercharger and there is a supercharger in Sudbury on the way back.

However, I cannot find any place to charge in Tobermory. I have MX 75D and I don't think I'll get enough charge at Owen Sound even if I charge to 100% there.

Ideally, it would be great to charge at a hotel in Tobermory, however, I can't find any that would offer charging. No Tesla's Destination Charging and there is nothing in PlugShare that I can see.

So I'm wondering if anybody did such a trip and hopefully can recommend a hotel that would allow charging or any other solution.

Thank you!

2. CanadianBacon

CanadianBacon Member

You may have to add another night and charge somewhere in Manitoulin. For a Model X 75D, Owen Sound to Sudbury is just too far. I really hope this works out for you, and that you have a safe and awesome trip!

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

There seems to be only one charging option on Manitoulin and it is a campground.

4. Mr. PlugShare

Mr. PlugShare PlugShare Maniac & Active Member

You may be able to find a wall outlet somewhere on the hotel, which you can charge from. Maybe just ask the hotel before .

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Good point. Don't discount a 120 volt outlet if you can find one. 5 km/h is better than nothing.

6. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

Why not take the ferry from Tobermory and bypass Manioulin? It lands within an easy drive to Sudbury.

7. Pilot7478

Pilot7478 Member

That is interesting. But I can't find such a ferry. Do you have a link?

All I can find is a ferry between Tobermory and South Baymouth which is actually on Manioulin Island. Schedules for Owen Sound Waterway Transportation scenic cruises Line tours.

8. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Owen Sound to Tobermory = 106km
    South Baymouth to Sudbury = 191km

So, taking the Ferry it is a total of 297km , easily doable unless you have a 60 kw battery.

For tooling around in the Tobermory area just plug it in at the hotel into 120V over night.

• Like x 2
  9. CadillacJack

CadillacJack Member

I'm a Haweater and visit on occasion - an option you could look into is all the marina charging options in South Baymouth, Gore Bay or Little Current. I think they use L5-30 plugs. Haven't done it myself but I think that's what they use.

Here's a bender - NEMA L5-30P (120V) Twist-Lock to 14-50R Adapter

Besides that, mrElbe has it nailed. 120v in the summer isn't so bad for overnight charging. 5 km/hr for 10-12 hours adds up.

10. Pilot7478

Pilot7478 Member

Also, even that the direct route between Owen Sound and Sudbury is about 300km, I was planning to stay at Tobermory for a couple days and drive around.
    Charging at 120V is not an option, as 40-50 km per night is too little - I would drive more than that during my stay at Tobermory. Cannot comfortably rely on this type of charging...

Marina charging - that's interesting. Will need to look at that... Thank you!

11. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

I carry a homemade version of this with me: https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-PSS21450-1-5-Feet-Generator-Connector/dp/B00BHGY95S/ref=asc_df_B00BHGY95S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198060922766&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12035113148275113942&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033151&hvtargid=pla-349642233730&psc=1

Since I tend to hang out around marinas I've used this adapter many times.

12. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

There are a half dozen RV camps in Tobermory that have 14-50's which will get you a decent reserve. I know nothing about any of them. I only saw them because i am going from Sudbury to Thunder Bay and on to points west in a weeks time, so i have been looking at every charging option in Northwest Ontario. I'm in a Model 3 so I'll not have CHAdeMO.
    FWIW, I'm going Halifax-Victoria on the Trans Canada Highway, weather permitting.

• Like x 1
  13. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

This should be a great trip! A summary when you're finished would make interesting reading.

14. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

At least you had the sense to take your time. Both of us on this trip have only six weeks.

15. CadillacJack

CadillacJack Member

16. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Tobermory Princess Hotel

They have solar panels and a 120V outlet accessible from front parking spots. Charged 150 km over span of 3 days a few years ago.

Agree that if you're driving 50 km per day you'll barely make that back over the other 18 hours in the day of charging... :)

• Like x 2
  17. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

And don’t forget you can wash your clothes while waiting but don’t forget to empty your pockets of cash otherwise you’d be money laundering! Lol!

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I assume we all know this, but while workable, never, ever EVER do this without asking permission. Same for hanging cords out of windows from air conditioner plugs and the like. That would be extremely poor etiquette and would cast us EV drivers in a bad light.

• Like x 2
  19. Pilot7478

Pilot7478 Member

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
    As there is no reliable charging in Tobermory area, I've decided to postpone this trip till we get better charging options in there.

20. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

Did you re-look on plug share? I saw a lot of charging stations between owen sound and Tobermory, a model 3 owner on the Island has a 14-50 outlet and the campground makes 2.

• Like x 1