Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torque Alliance, NL Online Order - UK customs charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

B9HNU

Nov 28, 2020
UK
Hi all,
I am sharing my recent experience online shopping with Torque-Alliance from Netherlands. I've ordered bunch of accessories for M3 RWD and I was hit by DPD customs charge on delivery. Their website clearly saying EU inc UK only shipping charges and rest of the world is shipping+customs. When asked, I was told it was responsibility to check if I have to pay customs in UK (clearly surprised by their response). I declined delivery and requested refund. I was hit by 20% charge so please consider this when ordering. This is my first experience ordering something from EU (after UK left) so may be this the norm going forward for online purchase

I thought as part of the Brexit agreement there was no customs duty on goods travelling between the EU and the UK, provided they are of EU origin. However, if the value is more than £135, then you would have to pay UK VAT, in which case the retailer should have sold the goods exclusive of the VAT due in the retailer’s country.

I thought as part of the Brexit agreement there was no customs duty on goods travelling between the EU and the UK, provided they are of EU origin. However, if the value is more than £135, then you would have to pay UK VAT, in which case the retailer should have sold the goods exclusive of the VAT due in the retailer’s country.
Maybe it depends if goods MADE in EU (or above whatever % is needed)? Transhipping Chinese/USA made goods via EU might fall foul. My wife ordered from a .co.uk mainstream clothing brand and goods shipped straight from Italy, luckily amount below £135. No warning, perhaps there might have been if it went above £135 - but this and other similar things have made me very wary.

Nope, customs duty applies to imports from the EU just like anywhere else in the world. We left the common market, that was what people wanted apparently.

Reactions: iandko and init6
Looking at their web page the customs fee is likely the fee they charge for filling out the customs paperwork - not the taxes you would pay for an import. Clearly if you ordered £10,000 worth of kit the customs duty and VAT is not going to be 10Euro.
A salutary warning for people who don't buy from abroad very often.

Looking at their web page the customs fee is likely the fee they charge for filling out the customs paperwork - not the taxes you would pay for an import. Clearly if you ordered £10,000 worth of kit the customs duty and VAT is not going to be 10Euro.
A salutary warning for people who don't buy from abroad very often.

That sounds about right - usually, you get hit with 2 fees if your items get selected by customs in the UK (although your courier will normally just present this to you as a single charge - but the receipt they provide will break it down - if it's Royal Mail they'll be an import charge sticker on the package telling you what the amounts were);

1. The carrier hits you with an administration fee of their own for dealing with the customs clearance and for paying the import duty in advance for you (It's usually £8 - £12 depending on courier/royal mail)
2. The import duty (VAT) for the declared value of the goods on the CN22 / commercial invoice.

Where you "pre-pay" with a courier it usually just means that the recipient doesn't get hit with the "Administration fee", the courier will still chase the recipient for payment of the customs fees - some will demand this before delivery - others will invoice you for it later.

Reactions: init6