Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torque and Horsepower upgrade kits on M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's troubling is that you are not the first to tell me this. I have heard the same from other BMW owners, techs who worked on them, etc.. to avoid getting a BMW, even a new one.

Also the only reason I mentioned JB4 is that M3/M4 xdrive owners are reporting great results with it. Like this:

One small problem. That's a chipped car. Not stock. And even the stock one is pushing 100k dollars. And that's before we even get to the differential cost of ownership.

Reactions: Sam1
What's troubling is that you are not the first to tell me this. I have heard the same from other BMW owners, techs who worked on them, etc.. to avoid getting a BMW, even a new one.

Also the only reason I mentioned JB4 is that M3/M4 xdrive owners are reporting great results with it. Like this:

I had a JB4 on my last ICE car, which was a 335i M-Sport. They are effective on turbocharged BMWs to a point. After about a year my car developed a hesitation/misfire and despite a lot of effort we never got the root cause, but this is the issue with ICE cars, especially turbocharged ones. A slight boost leak, misfire, fuel issue, injector problem, CO2 sensor issue, MAF problem etc. etc. etc. will cut your power and waste a lot of your time in trying to diagnose it.
Regardless of how you remap/tune an ICE you can run into those issues, because they are so complex.
In 2 years of owning my M3P, the available power has gone up, not down and it can do the same 0-60 time after time.
BMW is getting a bad reputation now for bottom end failures. It's another nail in the coffin.
There's just no point in flogging the dead horse which is the ICE.

Reactions: dfwatt
…flogging the dead horse…
AC1569DF-6101-45EC-9DB4-556FECDDEB2A.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I actually sent Manheart a letter and they got back to me. Here is the response.

"Thank you for your interest in our Tesla Box. Unfortunately we have to inform you, that the box does not release the Power and we cannot tell you when the problem will be resolved.

At the moment we cannot offer any performance boxes for Tesla Model 3 Performance.

We ask for your understanding. As soon as there will be any news, we will contact you"

Seems like it isn't ready (if it ever will be)

The base model S 0-60 is a true 0-60....and not rollout numbers. It's ~0.1-0.2s faster to 60 and it runs high 10s quarter mile which is quite a bit faster than M3P
Sure it costs 33K MORE but I'd make the argument you get WAY MORE VALUE FOR THE MONEY than the current M3P. It gets ~25% more range, it gets a way nicer interior, it gets a better sound system, it gets better seats, a real instrument cluster, and better infotainment.
Not to mention the air suspension and quieter ride which aren't even an option on the 3.

I would get one if it wasn't so big. The new base model X is also going to be in that ballpark and again will be a better value than the current 3P.
I would gladly pay 80-90k for a faster model 3 with more range.
have you driven a Model S? i got one as a loaner and was pretty disappointed with the interior. also the infotainment is sluggish as hell, in fact the whole car seems old, like it's trying to be a 7 series BMW. but that's the past, i think the model 3 interior is the future, and tesla agrees, look at the new Plaid. I have a performance and it's all you need my man, you WILL NOT be disappointed. you can look at 0-60 numbers all you wants, they DO NOT tell the whole story. go to Tesla, test drive an AWD model, and feel the responsiveness, it's instant, and you'll be hooked. I go on car rallies often where we have to pass regular cars and i'm always waiting for the gas cars to downshift and build up so they can pass. i just take off and leave them in the dust, and it's noticeable by everyone.

@ysaliens go drive a Tesla, go drive an M2 comp, and then make your decision, don't live in the numbers.

I will tell you as a BMW owner, DO NOT buy a BMW. You will spend thousands upon thousands keeping it running on an annual basis. And also most people are moving away from JB4 because it's antiquated piggyback technology. They're trying really hard to remain relevant, but they're old news for the most part. If you go the BMW route, at least just flash MHD on it.
I'm coming from a F80 M3 (2018 M3 CS) and I've had no problems, as most owners I know. BWM had more problems with the n54 platform with the 335 as it was the first turbo platform (about 10 years ago). Their issues were mainly with the water pump and other components. The suppliers, mainly Bosch and Continental got their stuff together over the years and now their cars are pretty reliable. Sure there is more maintenance with a high performance ICE car, as there are more parts, but BMW's free 3 year maint program is nice.

Both cars have strengths and weaknesses. The M3, particularly the new one is very nice and is fast. Also BMWs chassis is unmatched by high volume companies (an argument can be made for Porsche). Not to mention the service experience if you do have an issue.

The decision to get a Mod3P or a new M3 was very close for me and the long wait for the M3 was a big factor in pushing me towards the Mod3P. I personally think you're more likely to get a Tesla with bad panel gaps as an unreliable 2018-2021.

I'm coming from a F80 M3 (2018 M3 CS) and I've had no problems, as most owners I know. BWM had more problems with the n54 platform with the 335 as it was the first turbo platform (about 10 years ago). Their issues were mainly with the water pump and other components. The suppliers, mainly Bosch and Continental got their stuff together over the years and now their cars are pretty reliable. Sure there is more maintenance with a high performance ICE car, as there are more parts, but BMW's free 3 year maint program is nice.

Both cars have strengths and weaknesses. The M3, particularly the new one is very nice and is fast. Also BMWs chassis is unmatched by high volume companies (an argument can be made for Porsche). Not to mention the service experience if you do have an issue.

The decision to get a Mod3P or a new M3 was very close for me and the long wait for the M3 was a big factor in pushing me towards the Mod3P. I personally think you're more likely to get a Tesla with bad panel gaps as an unreliable 2018-2021.
You made the right choice. We have two 2018 Performance Model 3s. They have been exceptionally reliable, and panel gaps are pretty decent and paint quality is also actually pretty decent. In all honesty, if you're willing to spend a little bit of money tuning the car up, you can get a car that is just so much more immediate and responsive than any ICE vehicle. And then there's the problem of how ICE vehicle value is going to collapse over the coming few years. You might spend $80,000 for your optioned up BMW, and in three years it might be worth 15 to 20 k, as demand for ICE cars craters. Keep in mind that disruptive technology is adopted on an S curve. Once the majority of people are moving away from the Legacy technology, it has no value at that point. It's not clear where we are in the S curve as most folks with electric vehicles would be classed as early adopters and the penetration is still not high. But it's accelerating so it's not long before we get more fully into the exponential ramp up and a collapse of demand for legacy Tech.

Reactions: Legacystar

Errrrrrrr...BMW literally can't make an engine that doesn't blow up.

S54 - Bad Rod Bearings
S85 - Bad Rod Bearings
S65 - Bad Rod Bearings
N54 - Bad Rod Bearings
N55 - Bad Rod Bearings
N63/S63 - Self-Destructs in every way possible
S55 - Crank Hub Spinning
N20 - Chain Breaks

This doesn't include the hundreds of other problems, from every oil gasket leaking, to water pump problems, injector issues, VANOS issues, turbo issues, etc, etc, etc

Yeah........in the last 20 years BMW still hasn't figured it out. At this point, I have no faith at all.

This is coming from a prior BMW fan-boy. It will probably be fine for the three year warranty period, and then open up your wallet wide.

S54 - Bad Rod Bearings
S85 - Bad Rod Bearings
S65 - Bad Rod Bearings
N54 - Bad Rod Bearings
N55 - Bad Rod Bearings
S55 - Crank Hub Spinning
N20 - Chain Breaks

This doesn't include the hundreds of other problems, from every oil gasket leaking, to water pump problems, injector issues, VANOS issues, turbo issues, etc, etc, etc

Yeah........in the last 20 years BMW still hasn't figured it out. At this point, I have no faith at all.

This is coming from a prior BMW fan-boy. It will probably be fine for the three year warranty period, and then open up your wallet wide.

If Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket, and Fiat is Fix It Again Tony and Ford is Found On Road Dead, BMW is Bilk My Wallet

S54 - Bad Rod Bearings
S85 - Bad Rod Bearings
S65 - Bad Rod Bearings
N54 - Bad Rod Bearings
N55 - Bad Rod Bearings
S55 - Crank Hub Spinning
N20 - Chain Breaks

Well put. Another troubling perspective on all this is that the same executive group that doesn't believe BMW has to deliver a reliable and at least tolerably low maintenance car believes that they will be selling ICE vehicles through 2050. I'd love to have what they're smoking.

Well put. Another troubling perspective on all this is that the same executive group that doesn't believe BMW has to deliver a reliable and at least tolerably low maintenance car believes that they will be selling ICE vehicles through 2050. I'd love to have what they're smoking.
This is probably a controversial opinion, and maybe not accurate, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if BMW no longer exists in the next 10-20 years.

Let's not even get into parts pricing. I would love to know what BMW is smoking when they price parts in their catalogue.

Reactions: dfwatt
This is probably a controversial opinion, and maybe not accurate, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if BMW no longer exists in the next 10-20 years.

Let's not even get into parts pricing. I would love to know what BMW is smoking when they price parts in their catalogue.
Yeah I think almost all of the Legacy automakers are in serious trouble. When you look particularly at the combination of their debt, their capitalization, and the prospects for anything but staggering sales declines as people rush into EVs and abandon internal combustion engine Tech. The head of VW group just called for an emergency meeting to try to figure out how they can even get close to Tesla's efficiency in terms of production hours required to build a Model 3 compared to the ID4. I just love listening to the Tesla short sellers and how they try to tap dance around their predictions that the Legacy automakers were going to eat Tesla's lunch once they open quotes got going close quotes. It looks like they're all headed for the crapper. Frankly, it's been shocking to see how Toyota and even Honda have become Arch conservative to the point of reactionary in their positions. I guess success breeds complacency in everybody, even people who you thought could remain cutting-edge and innovative.

While I don't disagree many legacy companies are in a lot of trouble, the debt thing is a massive red herring in most cases.

The VAST majority of the on-books debt is profitable consumer debt due to their vehicle financing arms

S54 - Bad Rod Bearings
S85 - Bad Rod Bearings
S65 - Bad Rod Bearings
N54 - Bad Rod Bearings
N55 - Bad Rod Bearings
S55 - Crank Hub Spinning
N20 - Chain Breaks

I felt this post...in multiple ways

• Funny
Reactions: MasterC17
I actually sent Manheart a letter and they got back to me. Here is the response.

"Thank you for your interest in our Tesla Box. Unfortunately we have to inform you, that the box does not release the Power and we cannot tell you when the problem will be resolved.

At the moment we cannot offer any performance boxes for Tesla Model 3 Performance.

We ask for your understanding. As soon as there will be any news, we will contact you"

Seems like it isn't ready (if it ever will be)
We are a Manhart dealer for the BMW line, here's the response I got this morning inquiring about the Tesla MANHART TM3 720 MHTronik Powerbox:

Thank you for your interest in our Tesla Box. Unfortunately we have to inform you, that the box does not release the Power and we cannot tell you when the problem will be resolved. But we are working on it, to get the Problem solved as quickly as possible ! At the moment we cannot offer any performance boxes for Tesla Model 3 Performance. We ask for your understanding. As soon as there will be any news, we will contact you.

mit freundlichen Grüßen
Kind Regards
Sincères salutations

Leon Scerbina

- Sales Team -

MANHART Performance GmbH & Co. KG

Of course, I will post any additional info as we will be making them available when ready.

The problem was that it never worked in the first place and they sent out a press release without even testing if it actually worked or not. That's a hit on their reputation if you ask me, but then again I never heard of them in the first place. No one, not even the big tuners, have figured out how to extract more power directly on the Teslas.

The problem was that it never worked in the first place and they sent out a press release without even testing if it actually worked or not. That's a hit on their reputation if you ask me, but then again I never heard of them in the first place. No one, not even the big tuners, have figured out how to extract more power directly on the Teslas.
Manhart is a pretty big player in the luxury performance market, we'll see.

Hm sounds familiar. Charge for full self driving...profit.