Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torque and Horsepower upgrade kits on M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's getting close to my window to purchase a car.

I have to say, the 2022 Audi RS3 seems like a better value to me. Roughly the same price as a Model 3 Performance, roughly the same performance, but you can add a tune to the RS3 to make it perform more like a Model S Raven. Just hoping it doesn't have a huge markup when it finally debuts in the US.

It's getting close to my window to purchase a car.

I have to say, the 2022 Audi RS3 seems like a better value to me. Roughly the same price as a Model 3 Performance, roughly the same performance

People keep saying this, but everytime I check:

RS3 specs said:
60 mph: 3.4 sec
100 mph: 8.6 sec
1/4-Mile: 11.8 sec

While we know the 0-60 on the 3P is about 3 flat and the 1/4 mile in the 11.3-11.5 range.

From my read the RS3 numbers are within 0.1 of the non performance Model 3 with AB.... which costs a lot less than the Audi.

And you'll never get those actual times in the ICE with weather and altitude and traction variations. You need a track at sea level with a pro driver... The M3P you can rattle off actual times over and over... At a street light and from a roll, sayonara buddy@!

Reactions: Phlier
People keep saying this, but everytime I check:

While we know the 0-60 on the 3P is about 3 flat and the 1/4 mile in the 11.3-11.5 range.

From my read the RS3 numbers are within 0.1 of the non performance Model 3 with AB.... which costs a lot less than the Audi.

I've never seen a 2021 M3P do a 11.3 quarter mile, not even 11.5 seems possible.

The M3P falls flat on its face after 60mph. The RS3 would roar right past it.

With an E85 tune (nothing else) the RS3 does 2.xx 0-60, low 10's and traps 125+

That's Model S performance right there with just a grand or so for tune and tuner.

There is nothing you can do a Model 3 Performance to make it tangibly faster. Not even reducing significant weight of which I wouldn't want to do anyways.

After months of patiently waiting and reviewing the boards the M3P is looking less and less like a good buy compared to what the competition is now offering.

And you'll never get those actual times in the ICE with weather and altitude and traction variations. You need a track at sea level with a pro driver... The M3P you can rattle off actual times over and over... At a street light and from a roll, sayonara buddy@!

Not a problem in Florida.

With a M3P it gets slower the less juice you have. With an RS3 you can have a tiny drop of gas left and it will still perform the same. Even faster, since less gas = less weight.

I've never seen a 2021 M3P do a 11.3 quarter mile, not even 11.5 seems possible.

Check Draggy. There's a few 11.3-11.4 runs on there with verified times.

And a ton of 11.5 1/4 mile times.

11.8 the NON performance AB Model 3 does all day long (again tons of draggy verified slips showing this).

This ignores the fact resale on the Audi will be terrible in 5 years because nobody will want a gas car anymore, but possibly you don't care about that.

Reactions: Phlier
With an E85 tune (nothing else) the RS3 does 2.xx 0-60, low 10's and traps 125+

That's Model S performance right there with just a grand or so for tune and tuner.
You seem to have forgotten to mention that Audi's 350-400# weight reduction, completely non-existent rear interior, uncomfortable racing seats, and Unitronic Stage 2 tune prerequisites. Per Unitronic, the required hardware to run their "Stage 2" tune includes:
I wonder what all of that stuff costs? Probably a bit more than "nothing else".

Check Draggy. There's a few 11.3-11.4 runs on there with verified times.

And a ton of 11.5 1/4 mile times.

11.8 the NON performance AB Model 3 does all day long (again tons of draggy verified slips showing this).

This ignores the fact resale on the Audi will be terrible in 5 years because nobody will want a gas car anymore, but possibly you don't care about that.

The lower times are hero times, and 11.8 is the more consistant time across the vast majority of owners. I would have no interest in dropping considerable weight or spending thousands to change wheels/suspension, etc.. to run the lower times. A stock 2021 M3P will average the higher times, not lower.

The appeal of the 2022 RS3 is that is slightly more powerful than prior versions, costs less (minus any ridiculous markup) than M3P, looks better, better interior, etc.. and just needs a simple E85 tune to run 10 second times and destroy a M3P even from 0-60.

But this is just one option. BMW now offers its own M3P competitor, an i4 M50 that's quicker than a M3P and doesn't suffer top end lag. It does cost more though and is not something I would personally consider, but may appeal to others.

March - May is when I plan on making a purchase and I might still end up with a Model 3 especially if there's a tax credit that's passed and too good it ignore. But for the price range I'm in, there's a bit more options for Spring 2022 than existed just a year ago.

The lower times are hero times, and 11.8 is the more consistant time across the vast majority of owners

The 11.5 guys are all stock AFAIK- but it's your lie, tell it however you want.

The vast majority of 11.8s on draggy are non performance Model 3s with AB in actual reality though.

I would have no interest in dropping considerable weight or spending thousands to change wheels/suspension, etc.. to run the lower times.

But you DO have interest running aftermarket mods on the Audi that will crap all over the factory warranty to make IT run faster?

Weird choices but you do you.

But this is just one option. BMW now offers its own M3P competitor, an i4 M50 that's quicker than a M3P

This has also been debunked elsewhere but I imagine you won't believe those facts either.

The i4 M50 similarly equipped to the Tesla (adding the driver assists, comparable wheels, heated seats, premium sound, etc) is about $75,000 and no faster than the NON performance Model 3 with AB. Significantly slower both 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the P is.

You seem to have forgotten to mention that Audi's 350-400# weight reduction, completely non-existent rear interior, uncomfortable racing seats, and Unitronic Stage 2 tune prerequisites. Per Unitronic, the required hardware to run their "Stage 2" tune includes:
I wonder what all of that stuff costs? Probably a bit more than "nothing else".

Without the weight reduction it's a mid 10 second car on E85. And all tunes suggest intake/downpipe for best output. You don't need injectors unless you plan on running very high boost. There's plenty of other examples of what an E85 tune on a 2018-2022 RS3 will do, its a tried and true platform and will put even the fastest hero run M3P to shame. But it does involve a modded car.

If i were to buy an RS3 I would put a similar, minimal mod list like this

Without the weight reduction it's a mid 10 second car on E85. And all tunes suggest intake/downpipe for best output. You don't need injectors unless you plan on running very high boost

All that's fine, but lighter wheels are a no go for you. Very strange.

. There's plenty of other examples of what an E85 tune on a 2018-2022 RS3 will do

Those are all hero cars :)

Without the weight reduction it's a mid 10 second car on E85. And all tunes suggest intake/downpipe for best output. You don't need injectors unless you plan on running very high boost. There's plenty of other examples of what an E85 tune on a 2018-2022 RS3 will do, its a tried and true platform and will put even the fastest hero run M3P to shame. But it does involve a modded car.

If i were to buy an RS3 I would put a similar, minimal mod list like this

You're really missing the point. You can mod an ICE to achieve X goal for X price. There's always a cost and a hidden cost, like the reality of voiding your warranty, the headache of mods and tuning, and the possibility of blowing *sugar* up. Been there done that, and that is really not the point of going EV.

Again, you're really missing the point of EV which is to go electric and get away from ICE. The M3P achieves that and get's you great times for good value whilst being an EV.

Reactions: iMod4Fun
He's not really interested in a M3P is my take.

The sad thing about this statement is that yes, I am still very interested in a M3P. The difference is I am willing to look at all the Pros and Cons of every platform and don't allow fanboy bias to cloud my judgement. My options for a new car is still wide open and whether or not it's a M3P or something else will come down to what's best for me and not anyone else's opinion.

Reactions: raptor5244
I asked for a 2021 M3P example and you gave me a 2018 example from motor trend. If I do buy a M3P it would be the newest

I asked for a 2021 M3P example, not a 2018. There is yet another thread on how the 2021 M3P is slower than the old. I would not be purchasing a used M3P, not in this current market.

I owned both, have used dragy to record runs with, and absolutely without a doubt, my 2021 is slower.

• Informative
Reactions: chickensworth
I had the first M3P delivered in my city... I'm most likely in the market for a new one after an accident I had a few months back. A 2022 is more or less the same car i got in 2018. As much as I loved my 2018, I have a hard time picking up a new one with basically the same performance as my old one. I'd gladly pay and extra 10-15k for a P+ or something.

Reactions: Sam1
(moderator note)

Several posts have been removed from this thread as they were either personal attacks or quoting posts that are personal attacks. Debate is fine, personal attacks are not. Personal attacks include name calling.

Consider this a general public warning, as if it continues it will likely bring further action other than simply removing posts.