Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torque and Horsepower upgrade kits on M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lower times are hero times, and 11.8 is the more consistant time across the vast majority of owners. I would have no interest in dropping considerable weight or spending thousands to change wheels/suspension, etc.. to run the lower times. A stock 2021 M3P will average the higher times, not lower.

The appeal of the 2022 RS3 is that is slightly more powerful than prior versions, costs less (minus any ridiculous markup) than M3P, looks better, better interior, etc.. and just needs a simple E85 tune to run 10 second times and destroy a M3P even from 0-60.

But this is just one option. BMW now offers its own M3P competitor, an i4 M50 that's quicker than a M3P and doesn't suffer top end lag. It does cost more though and is not something I would personally consider, but may appeal to others.

March - May is when I plan on making a purchase and I might still end up with a Model 3 especially if there's a tax credit that's passed and too good it ignore. But for the price range I'm in, there's a bit more options for Spring 2022 than existed just a year ago.
If you get one of those ICE performance sport sedans, just make sure you set aside a boatload for maintenance, gas,and a depreciation allowance that looks like somebody threw the car off a cliff. In 5-6 years you won't be able to give it away.

• Disagree
Reactions: jackmott
I really think you guys are comparing apples and oranges here.

Most people aren't, and likely shouldn't buy an EV for the outright performance (besides the Plaid, obviously). EV's, and Tesla's in particular, have a lot of merits that a conventional ICE just cannot match. For example, instant acceleration at any time, very little maintenance, much cheaper to "fuel", higher residual value, and so on.

However, I don't think any of us are blind to the fact that a M3P is not the fastest straight line performance vehicle you can buy and build for $60k. But, of course, there's a lot of compromises you are going to make in doing that. Whether it be expensive maintenance, hard to find and expensive fueling, high depreciation, a plethora of modifications, a pre-owned vehicle, etc, etc - this just isn't an argument over what's ultimately fastest but rather what suits your needs best.

At the end of the day, the M3P is a great car because it checks so many boxes right from the factory. However, if you want to lay down the fastest quarter mile times possible, it's probably not the car for you.

For me personally, while there are a LOT of compromises to tracking an EV right now (charging infrastructure/time, battery current limitations, crazy high energy usage, etc), those are balanced for me with showing people what EV's are capable of, having a smaller carbon impact, cheap fuel costs, lower consumables cost, higher residual value, etc.

Buy what is going to work best for YOU.

It's got three great ones – Fix Or Repair Daily, First On Race Day and of course Found on Road Dead.

Add to the list 😁

Flipped Over Rebuilt Dodge
For Only Retired Drunks/For Only Real Drivers
Frequently Orchestrating River Dances
First Original Road Dominator

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt
I really think you guys are comparing apples and oranges here.

Most people aren't, and likely shouldn't buy an EV for the outright performance (besides the Plaid, obviously). EV's, and Tesla's in particular, have a lot of merits that a conventional ICE just cannot match. For example, instant acceleration at any time, very little maintenance, much cheaper to "fuel", higher residual value, and so on.

However, I don't think any of us are blind to the fact that a M3P is not the fastest straight line performance vehicle you can buy and build for $60k. But, of course, there's a lot of compromises you are going to make in doing that. Whether it be expensive maintenance, hard to find and expensive fueling, high depreciation, a plethora of modifications, a pre-owned vehicle, etc, etc - this just isn't an argument over what's ultimately fastest but rather what suits your needs best.

At the end of the day, the M3P is a great car because it checks so many boxes right from the factory. However, if you want to lay down the fastest quarter mile times possible, it's probably not the car for you.

For me personally, while there are a LOT of compromises to tracking an EV right now (charging infrastructure/time, battery current limitations, crazy high energy usage, etc), those are balanced for me with showing people what EV's are capable of, having a smaller carbon impact, cheap fuel costs, lower consumables cost, higher residual value, etc.

Buy what is going to work best for YOU.
I agree with just about everything you stated, the one thing I am still not convinced of just yet is the residual value advantage, at least when it comes to enthusiast vehicles. While some may feel that ICE vehicles may be a paperweight in 5 years I am not so sure. I think there are a lot of other factors at play. In fact, I think my 2019 M3P depreciation was pretty crappy over two years. I paid $60k minus $3,750 tax incentive in June 2019 and with only 2 years and 7k miles the car was only worth $42,500 on trade in March 2021. I waited a bit as the market climbed and was able to get $48k from Carmax in August 2021. In comparison, the 2019 C7 Grand Sport I traded for the M3P is actually worth more than I paid for it now. Also, consider that prices keep going up lately, even for EVs so as new car prices rise, that helps keep all used vehicle prices higher as well.

I also think about EVs and how the tech is evolving so quickly. I own a M3 SR+ as well and in 4-5 years a 200 mile range battery is probably going to seem ridiculous and I wonder who will want to own a Tesla out of the 4 year 50k warranty not to mention the 100k warranty when the battery and motor are no longer covered. Once used car buyers realize that battery is $10-15k the car will have to depreciate accordingly as it nears its end of life and need to take on that risk. In fact, when I sold to Carmax they said they only recently started buying Tesla vehicles but they have to be under the 4/50k warranty. Factor in how fast tech advances and I feel like an EV is like an aging iPhone. Slower processors, outdated cameras, battery degradation, etc.

Furthermore, I think residual values will be different for true car enthusiasts. Like we see in many of these posts, EVs are great but the drivetrain is only one aspect. To an enthusiast a performance car will need to tug at the heartstrings and it may be a result of the exhaust note or the handling characteristics or driver engagement like preferring a manual transmission, interior and exterior styling, etc. Lots of performance vehicles are not necessarily daily drivers, so many of the EV cost benefits may not apply. Anyway, these are just some of the reasons why I think ICE based enthusiast vehicles will still be desirable for the foreseeable future and residual values will remain strong for the right vehicles. That said, I look forward to seeing more performance EVs in the market.