Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torque and Horsepower upgrade kits on M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At higher motor speeds there isn't much more that can be done without more battery voltage, as @gearcruncher mentioned.

This is why higher SOC makes so much more power at high speeds, but about the same torque below peak power.

It would be very interesting if one could write custom firmware to see if anything could be done to make more power, but I don't think there is much. The Model Y does make about 25hp more than the 3, so there is at least that much available. The front motor is easier to get more from than the rear motor.

At higher motor speeds there isn't much more that can be done without more battery voltage, as @gearcruncher mentioned.

This is why higher SOC makes so much more power at high speeds, but about the same torque below peak power.

It would be very interesting if one could write custom firmware to see if anything could be done to make more power, but I don't think there is much. The Model Y does make about 25hp more than the 3, so there is at least that much available. The front motor is easier to get more from than the rear motor.

Is the extra 25hp just to compensate the extra weight Model Y has vs the 3?

I just saw end user Dragy footage of the 2022 BMW M3 Competition xDrive. With 1' roll 0-60 was 2.99 vs 3.1 for Model 3 Performance and 1/4 mile time was also about 0.4 second faster. Elon said the Model 3 would outperform every vehicle in its class. Well, now it doesn't. I'm hoping this will result in a speed bump for the Model 3. For purely irrational psychological reasons, I want my M3P to be under 3 seconds (preferably without 1' roll but I'll take it any way I can.) LOL.

I really like the new M3 but it's $20K more and I'm pretty much done with ICE in general...

What are the chances Tesla may give or sell a speed bump for the M3P?

I just saw end user Dragy footage of the 2022 BMW M3 Competition xDrive. With 1' roll 0-60 was 2.99 vs 3.1 for Model 3 Performance and 1/4 mile time was also about 0.4 second faster. Elon said the Model 3 would outperform every vehicle in its class. Well, now it doesn't. I'm hoping this will result in a speed bump for the Model 3. For purely irrational psychological reasons, I want my M3P to be under 3 seconds (preferably without 1' roll but I'll take it any way I can.) LOL.

I really like the new M3 but it's $20K more and I'm pretty much done with ICE in general...

Zero. That claim was made several years ago and sub-3 seconds will cut into Model S territory.

My bet is off a red light you will still take the BMW as ice cars typically require special procedures for full speed launch.

Reactions: Alan2000
I'll have to give it a try again. The best I could get with 90% SOC was 3.05 (using 1' roll standard) with my Dragy which is pretty accurate. I'm average in weight so I'm surprised to hear some people have gotten 2.9. If traction is a limiting factor, I would guess the 2.9 was using Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which appears to have slightly better grip than the Pirelli P Zero that come on the the Model 3 now.

For now I will assume I can also break the 3 second mark with my Model 3 and check off one more thing from my mental list. LOL

I agree with @sightman that the M3P likely would still get the traffic light win over the BMW as the BMW does require a few steps to get in launch mode, which is not really that practical to use in traffic. Being in SoCal I should be able to test that theory soon. I have driven several high power ICE cars and most do a mediocre and inconsistent job with launch control to begin with. Tesla launch control is simply magical. IDK how it gets such perfect and consistent launches on just about any road surface. My guess is that the M3P would beat the BMW M3 xDdrive Competition up to about 100-110 MPH. Drag race videos should start coming out pretty soon between the two.

IDK how it gets such perfect and consistent launches on just about any road surface. My guess is that the M3P would beat the BMW M3 xDdrive Competition up to about 100-110 MPH. Drag race videos should start coming out pretty soon between the two.
It will absolutely win on bad surfaces. I've outran my neighbor in his taycan turbo s multiple times on a crappy surface 0-75ish just because he can't get traction. On a good surface, I can't even remotely keep up.

I'll have to give it a try again. The best I could get with 90% SOC was 3.05 (using 1' roll standard) with my Dragy which is pretty accurate. I'm average in weight so I'm surprised to hear some people have gotten 2.9. If traction is a limiting factor, I would guess the 2.9 was using Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which appears to have slightly better grip than the Pirelli P Zero that come on the the Model 3 now.

For now I will assume I can also break the 3 second mark with my Model 3 and check off one more thing from my mental list. LOL

I agree with @sightman that the M3P likely would still get the traffic light win over the BMW as the BMW does require a few steps to get in launch mode, which is not really that practical to use in traffic. Being in SoCal I should be able to test that theory soon. I have driven several high power ICE cars and most do a mediocre and inconsistent job with launch control to begin with. Tesla launch control is simply magical. IDK how it gets such perfect and consistent launches on just about any road surface. My guess is that the M3P would beat the BMW M3 xDdrive Competition up to about 100-110 MPH. Drag race videos should start coming out pretty soon between the two.
My 2.97 was with the 19" continental all seasons. The fastest I've gotten with the 18" PS4S is a 2.98.

Also not a fan of the pirelli. As soon as my new car comes in, I'll be removing them and putting Michelin on.

Mine does it it in 2.97, most will do that as long as you can put the car on a good surface.

If you can get your hands on Bridgestone RE71RS, give it a try. It's available where I live.

I replaced my well worn PS4S on my BMW M2 with RE71R (predecessor to RE71RS). The tires had amazing grip. So much so thaty when I drove over painted road surfaces it sounded like Velcro being pulled apart with the rubber sticking to the painted surfaces. They wore out quickly but had more grip than the PS4S. The RE71RS I've heard are even better. But I would not buy them again for regular street use as they were very loud on the highway, to the point I was using my noise cancellation earbuds to protect my hearing. I don't remember the noise level in the car but it was over what OSHA would allow in our shop for more than 30 minutes of exposure. LOL

I replaced my well worn PS4S on my BMW M2 with RE71R (predecessor to RE71RS). The tires had amazing grip. So much so thaty when I drove over painted road surfaces it sounded like Velcro being pulled apart with the rubber sticking to the painted surfaces. They wore out quickly but had more grip than the PS4S. The RE71RS I've heard are even better. But I would not buy them again for regular street use as they were very loud on the highway, to the point I was using my noise cancellation earbuds to protect my hearing. I don't remember the noise level in the car but it was over what OSHA would allow in our shop for more than 30 minutes of exposure. LOL

One thing I learned a couple of weeks ago are that the manufacturer spec tires are built completely different than non-spec tires. Was getting a set for my beemer that were non-spec, but then seen the ps4s on bmw spec are built different from the compound layout all the way to the difference in the way the belts are wrapped/overlayed. Never knew they had so many differences internally...which would explain with the porsche spec pirellis I put on/removed were complete trash on the tesla.

prior to I thought it was only minor revisions to the design.

Last edited:

I’d pay $1000 for the extra 25hp. I paid much more for much less back in the day for Honda mods. Intake header exhaust to make 10hp cost me like $2000. Haha