Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

torque conversion from tesla motor to hamilton 212 jetboat pump!! which motor will run these pumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would start by suggesting that you post this question in the general EV section of TMC unless you are specifically using a Tesla Roadster motor, which I doubt. The Model S motor is far more suited for a marine jet drive than the Roadster's. While the specs for the MS motor would appear to match what you need, the duty cycle does not. You need high horsepower and torque continuously for longer periods of time than a car does. The MS motor will overheat in the time you need even with its water cooling. You could most likely do it with 2 motors. A Hamilton 212 uses between 300 and 500 hp depending on impeller. Even though the MS motor will produce that much, you will need 2 motors to stay within the heat dissipation requirements.

You also need a gear box. Hamilton pumps only operate efficiently up to about 4500 rpm if I remember correctly.

I would start by suggesting that you post this question in the general EV section of TMC unless you are specifically using a Tesla Roadster motor, which I doubt. The Model S motor is far more suited for a marine jet drive than the Roadster's. While the specs for the MS motor would appear to match what you need, the duty cycle does not. You need high horsepower and torque continuously for longer periods of time than a car does. The MS motor will overheat in the time you need even with its water cooling. You could most likely do it with 2 motors. A Hamilton 212 uses between 300 and 500 hp depending on impeller. Even though the MS motor will produce that much, you will need 2 motors to stay within the heat dissipation requirements.

You also need a gear box. Hamilton pumps only operate efficiently up to about 4500 rpm if I remember correctly.
Good Morning! Thank you so much for the FIRST inquiry on the subject!! Lewiston Idaho is home to the jet boat capitol of the Snake , Salmon and Clearwater rivers. I have begun thinking of an EV boat and with the tech and battery tech moving forward , its time to run these compability tests to see if it is even possible! Thanks again and We will be on this site as our project moves forward! joe rake 12087437253 [email protected]

good morning! my name is joe rake and we have a small group of people getting ready to build our first EV jetboat! wanting interested folks that savvy the engines and the pumps to join in our conversation about the torque and HP portion of this build. A couple of beginning questions we have are:
Is the model S engine the best choice for sustaining torque and horsepower for extended periods of time ?
Does the model S have a watercooling system built in to it or may one be added ??
would the software for the engines be tunable as far as rev limits or would a gear box be mandatory??
suggestions for heat dissipation please??
thank you,
joe rake
[email protected]

@wycolo many people fish or travel on very shallow rivers and other water bodies. A prop wouldn't allow you to get anywhere. Even a lot of outboard motors are converted to jet drive so they can run in just a few inches of water. Many of these boats have large v-8 engines of several hundred horsepower. The OP is probably converting a boat like that.

Why do you need jet rather than using a prop? No manatees on the Snake . . .

What hp does your hull require to stay on plane or else provide the minimum speed you require.

Plain old DC brush motors and controllers are much simpler to electrify boats.

<www.boatdesign.net/forums>
--

I've yet to get my grubby hands on any jet drive units so far, but imagine they are not much different from I/O units for example. At this point in his development plan it really shouldn't matter which propulsion scheme is employed. The issues are mostly about the motor and controlling it. Seems he has a wrecked Model S so this would probably work on almost any speedboat with a V6 or larger engine. Even a jet drive too since the Tesla motor can turn up to 10k rpm easily. But if you are starting from scratch it is much cheaper and easier to get a new DC brush motor and its inexpensive controller and go from there, avoiding all the software issues you have to face with adapting cutting edge salvage systems. If you want action go with cheap and simple. How many miles per year does a boat go anyway?

For efficiency, I'm drawn to using a prop in a short surround tube (annular ring venturi?) well supported by a sturdy skeg. This is kind of like the first step toward a jet drive and is more efficient than just an open prop.
--