Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

torque vectoring in AWD Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
When the Model S and X get AWD I assume Tesla will take complete advantage of all abilities an all electric implementation of AWD brings to the plate including torque vectoring. In the Mercedes electric SLS they take it one step further by powering each individual wheel. See the video:

Mercedes SLS Electric Drive. Can Volts Ever Match Pistons? - CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS - YouTube

Do you think Tesla will implement this ALL AWD (4 motors) system with toque vectoring in the Model S, Model X, or some far distant super car, maybe the new Model R? Do you see big safety and /or performance advantages of four separate electric motors (one for each wheel) over two electric motors (one for each axle)? All I can say, is after watching this video I am excited about Tesla/Mercedes future collaborations!

It'll be useful for track times, but not necessary for normal driving. Standard TC and ESC even with a single motor is more than enough for that.

Torque vectoring like in the Mercedes is a nice idea for a super car though. For Tesla to accomplish the same thing with two motors would require differential based torque vectoring like in ICE cars.

It'll be useful for track times, but not necessary for normal driving. Standard TC and ESC even with a single motor is more than enough for that.

Torque vectoring like in the Mercedes is a nice idea for a super car though. For Tesla to accomplish the same thing with two motors would require differential based torque vectoring like in ICE cars.

Ok now to reveal my complete ignorance in this area. How would toque vectoring relate, if at all, to dynamic TC where dynamic TC has both the ability to give power as well as take power away from wheels?

Hi mikevbf

the different is that with Tesla the motor drive 2 wheels, where with the Mercedes there is a motor for each wheel
so if one wheel is spinning, you only cout power to that wheel and not both
this is especial useful when you are going round a corner as the outer wheel need to rotate faster than the inner wheel
when you can controle the speed of each wheel you can then provide the correct power to each of them
when you have one motor that provide power to 2 wheels you need to use some form of differential lock when going stright
but this lock do not work when you are turning

Yes I agree with you. So also for Tesla the torque could be applied to each single wheel in a completely independent matter and the torque vectoring could be realized also for Tesla.
@Mark
I don't understand why Mark does not agree with us.

Hmm
Well if tesla make the AWD with 2 motors you can do torque vectoring between the front and rear but you still need to do differential lock between left and right, it is still Way better than with a ICE
And TC on an electric is just so much better, and a 4 moter setup is super car, to realy take avantage of 4 motor torque vectoring you need a race track
But I will still be enjoing my future P85+ even that it only have 1 motor :)

This was discussed in another Model X thread and the conclusion was that true torque vectoring is not possible as long as there is a fixed gear connecting the motor to the two wheels, but you can "mimic" it by breaking on one of the two wheels of the respective motors.

This was discussed in another Model X thread and the conclusion was that true torque vectoring is not possible as long as there is a fixed gear connecting the motor to the two wheels, but you can "mimic" it by breaking on one of the two wheels of the respective motors.
Why would an SUV/van need torque vectoring in the first place? Not sure I see the benefits.

Why would an SUV/van need torque vectoring in the first place? Not sure I see the benefits.

Agreed - it's mostly for track/performance use. I wouldn't call the X a "van" though, more of a perfomance SUV. It would give better turning performance at high speeds and it could give tighter turn radiuses at low speeds for example. It would probably also make for an even better grip/traction on rain/snow/ice than "only" two-motor electric AWD.

Torque vectoring only needs AWD, not 4 motors.

Agree. That's why I think that Torque Vectoring should take place also on the Model X.

- - - Updated - - -

For stability reasons in very bad situations (rain, snow, ice and so on). IMO Torque Vectoring is vey useful.

And how would that be better than the usual ABS + stability control, which also does wheel-specific braking?

Torque Vectoring improves ESC + ABS because not only the brakes are applied at each individual wheel in a completely independent matter but also the torque is applied at each individual wheel in a completely independent matter for the purpose of keeping the wanted path. For this reason I like to call Torque vectoring "active ESC (Electronic Stability Control)".

Torque Vectoring improves ESC + ABS because not only the brakes are applied at each individual wheel in a completely independent matter but also the torque is applied at each individual wheel in a completely independent matter for the purpose of keeping the wanted path. For this reason I like to call Torque vectoring "active ESC (Electronic Stability Control)".
That sounds like snake oil to me. Providing a 'basic' torque and then braking individual wheels to reduce the torque on those wheels, which is what stability control does, is equivalent to actively controlling the torque on each wheel. No matter what the approach is, both ESP and torque vectoring lead to different torques on different wheels.

Do you care to elaborate?!? How do you propose to control torque independently to each individual wheel when two wheels are connected to one motor with a fixed gear?!?

I am not an expert of mechanics but I think that for instance Audi in its AWD system is able to apply the torque at each wheel with a differential on the axis of the wheels. Of course this is not compatible with the 2 wheels connected to one motor with a fixed gear.

Do you care to elaborate?!? How do you propose to control torque independently to each individual wheel when two wheels are connected to one motor with a fixed gear?!?
Those fixed gears include differential that allows left and right wheel to spin at different speeds.
On an AWD vehicle torque vectoring only differs from ESC system in software i.e. in strategies when it is activated.

ESC activates brakes only after sensors have detected that vehicle has lost grip.
Torque vectoring activates brakes "much sooner" i.e. while vehicle still has traction but transversial forces are "big enough".
Exactly how big is this "big enough" is an optimization problem - make it too small and you waste energy and burn brakes, make it too big and it transforms back into ESC.

ESC also brakes much harder than torqe vectoring as it only needs to 'relieve' the wheel from drive torque without causing braking torque.