TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Torque vectoring?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by commasign, Oct 14, 2014.

1. commasign

commasign Active Member

Anyone know if the new D models have any sort of left to right / right to left torque vectoring?

2. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Not yet, but possibly in the near future.

At The D reveal last Thursday, Elon suggested that thanks to the new electromechanical braking system on cars now, they could do some cool things through software updates later on, like torque vectoring.

3. Chuck P85D

Chuck P85D Member

it will definitely be a feature eventually. and unlike most cars today with torque vectoring, it will be "active" and not "passive".

(passive torque vectoring is provided by the brakes, or slowing the inside wheel down. active torque vectoring is provided by increased power to the outside wheel, no brakes involved. read: better!)

4. EarlyAdopter

Active torque vectoring can only be done with an active differential or four motors. Any toque vectoring on Model S will be brake based for the foreseeable future.

But yeah, I would _love_ a four motor Model S. I'll go on record here saying that's the one thing that would get me to ever trade-in my P85D.

5. Chuck P85D

Chuck P85D Member

oh my bad... I thought the current motors had differentials on them....

6. EarlyAdopter

They do, but they're just open diffs.

7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Not true. My Acura RDX sends more power to the outside wheel to push the car around a corner as opposed to brake the inside wheels to drag you around the corner. All done in the axel. Works like a charm. I find that I don't need in my Tess.

8. Chuck P85D

Chuck P85D Member

That's why I said "most", not "all". Next time, try reading with more effort and precision.

I owned a 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH back in the day. Active torque.

But the fact remains that brake-torque vectoring is more prevalent, primarily because it's cheaper/easier.

9. GlennAlanBerry

Yeah, I had a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD (before the Tesla) that was pretty sweet with the torque vectoring. It was a very nice car, for an ICE.

10. Olle

Olle Member

If I remember correctly what Elon said a few months ago, the D will have a smaller turning circle due to front and rear motor working together to augment the turn. (I can imagine this specific function works more comfortably on slippery surfaces). But it is a sort of torque vectoring.
    Active front to rear torque vectoring should work at speed too, with the correct software.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Sorry about that. The thing I do miss on my Acura is the passive. The active is great when accelerating. But decel can end up in front end plow. Thanks for correcting me.