Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torrential rain + 45-degree temps + 30 mph headwinds + 75 mph = OMG!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must have set some type of record for energy consumption during my drive yesterday morning leaving Chicago.

Left at 5 am and it was POURING, plus super windy and unseasonably cold (hey, it's almost June - why WOULDN'T it be 45 degrees F. and blowing 30 mph in Chicago?!?! :rolleyes: ) I've made this same 400-mile drive many times previously and it's always 2 charging stops, totaling 35-45 minutes of charging time. Yesterday the trip required 3 stops and about 70 minutes of charging time. Average consumption for the first 1/2 of the trip was 450+WH/mile, giving the car an effective 100-0% SOC range of ~166 miles and a "between the Superchargers" range of around 100 miles. As soon as I saw the forecast I knew it was gonna be bad, but it was worse than I expected.

What's been your worst/highest consumption for street (not track) driving?

Going from Denver to Tenn navigating to the next charger, midway got a message to "Stay below 75 to reach your destination." 5 minutes later another, "Stay below 70 to reach your destination". Another a few minutes later "Stay below 65..."
I decided to just hit a closer charge station instead of slowing. The car knew where it had to go and the remaining charge, it was actively monitoring its operational environment and alerting me - the cause was a headwind.

Once you arrived at your destination, you should have immediately turned around and headed home (to get the benefit of a tail wind)! 😜

fwiw: I lived in ChiTown for a few years and remember wearing my down coat to a Cubbies game on Memorial Day. It was in in the 30's in the morning. Finally "warmed" up to mid-40s by game time.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
...The car knew where it had to go and the remaining charge, it was actively monitoring its operational environment and alerting me...
Oh, I’ve got enough experience with long distance travel in different conditions in this car to know that I had to plot the trip in segments, Supercharger to Supercharger, rather than the entire trip at the outset. I knew I’d be driving with the flow of traffic (75+ mph) and that the car would otherwise suggest stretches between charging sessions that it couldn’t make without slowing significantly. I also used ABRP on my phone to estimate the SOC I’d need before leaving each stop. Lotsa planning, but it worked and I don’t mind it.

Less than 1 weeks out since ownership - took a trip from Chicago to Normal Il - ISU:
Left at 95% - Temp was 40F and winds out of 180 at 12-15mph - turned on Supercharger Destination in Normal IL in driveway before backing out.
IH55 - Des Plaines River bridge about 290 wH/mile at 65-67 - speed limit 55 and 65 - light rain so far.
Upped speed at Nuclear power plant to 70 and wH/mile jumped up to 302.
Juiced up at new supercharger in Normal at Meijers to 80% - arrived at 51% - charged to 80%
Return home I got 22.5% better numbers - (266wH/m) driving 72 mph on auto-pilot/cruise:

3 factors 12-15 mile tail wind, no supercharger pre-conditioning, and no rain.

Last edited: