Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toshiba SCiB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
http://ecofuss.com/scib-recharges-in-5-minutes-has-a-lifespan-of-10-years/

toshiba-scib.jpg

Last edited:
Wow,

I rembember the inital blurb on this battery years ago. I took the long silence since as the technology had come up DOA. We still don't know pricing, energy density etc. But this one could be a game changer.

Also, it has to prove itself as a commodity for Tesla's use of it an EV.

I haven't seen anything on pricing, but I'm going to assume Toshiba wouldn't bring them to market in 2008 if they didn't have a plan to make them competitive.

As far as energy density goes - I'm not a math whiz and can't figure it out myself, but others have. It's not good. It appears that they will not be suitable for EVs, despite Toshiba's claims.

Still, at least Toshiba and Firefly are doing something. Which is more than I can say for most.

Here's the link to the official Toshiba SCiB homepage:

TOSHIBA - New rechargeable battery SCiB(TM)

I sure hope Tesla considers this, otherwise, I am considering creating an aftermarket company that would produce battery packs using these cells for the Tesla S. The key to success of these batteries is the availability of Level 3 charging to take advantage of the rapid recharge instead of doing battery swaps; an idea that I never liked because of security issues and the fact that it leads most companies to develop a lease type structure for the batteries. In other words, you don't fully own your car. It is like buying a Ford and the dealer saying that you can only fill up at ExxonMobil gas stations or you are in violation of your lease on the fuel tank.

Thanks for posting this. Looks as if Toshiba has made progress since TEG posted the link 26 months ago. They've also addressed the charge/discharge capacity issue.

Curious as to what size battery is required to obtain 300+ mile range with this specification.

With all the battery developments going on TM might want to work with these suppliers and perhaps offer several alternatives that allow customers to choose their own battery.

Thanks for the feedback.

The hunt is still on for a better battery. One made of Nickel and Lithium @ 1000 lbs would give Roadster a 700-mile range. The tradeoff is a much longer charge time (~ 3 days according to gas2.org).