Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total braking system failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The physical braking system in my Model 3 completely failed this morning.
I didn't realize it until I got on the freeway ramp and almost hit the car in front of me.
Luckily, the regen braking was enough to slow the car down.

The brake pedal felt like it was in a locked position at the top of its range. Could not depress the pedal at all.

This was an absolute critical safety failure.

The car was acting strange from the first moment this morning.
1. erratic window roll down behavior when I opened the front door
2. dark/blank screen upon entry
3. warning message: vehicle hold feature unavailable
4. warning message: 12 v battery must be replace soon

After I rebooted the car, I drove off to working thinking it was nothing.
After realizing the brake failure, I got off the next freeway and exit and drove it back home safely.
With the road side assistance tech on the phone, I tried rebooting the car with no luck.
Then, tried powering the car off via the lcd screen and waiting a couple of minutes seems to solve the issue this time.

The car is now with the Tesla service center.

How could this happen? This was extremely dangerous and I feel very fortunate.
I could have easily found out the hard way at 70+ mph.

Hope this never happens again to me or anybody else, ever.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 766
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 283
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 275
And this is why my insurance rates are too high. One has what they think is total brake system failure and continues to drive home after discovering the problem. Everyone should know the emergency braking procedure before driving a car. Please rename this thread to “Brake pedal seemed to fail” since that is what happened since the operator didn’t attempt to use the emergency braking system.

That still should not of happened. If the 12 v battery is going bad they need to find a way to tell us before system failures start occurring. It should give us some lead time. 2 years on the battery does not seem like a long time either.
This is not related to 12V batteries at all. If the car was awake, the PCS was producing all the 12V the car needs.

And this is why my insurance rates are too high. One has what they think is total brake system failure and continues to drive home after discovering the problem. Everyone should know the emergency braking procedure before driving a car. Please rename this thread to “Brake pedal seemed to fail” since that is what happened since the operator didn’t attempt to use the emergency braking system.

He didnt even use the normal braking system. The emergency brake system is activated by pressing down on the P button on the stalk which engages the parking brake to slow down.
His brakes were likely completely fine he just needs to press them properly to slow the 2 ton sedan down.

But yeah people like that drive insurance rates up unfortunately.

If nothing else, I'm sure a lot of us just learned how to operate the emergency brake
it is very unlikely, almost impossible that you will ever need to operate the emergency brake.
The foot brake is linked mechanically to the brakes - even if the car is completely incapacitated they should still work, you just have to press harder.

An example would be if someone is not able to move their legs for whatever reason or i.e. if the pedal breaks.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
it is very unlikely, almost impossible that you will ever need to operate the emergency brake.
The foot brake is linked mechanically to the brakes - even if the car is completely incapacitated they should still work, you just have to press harder.

An example would be if someone is not able to move their legs for whatever reason or i.e. if the pedal breaks.

Right. I’ve had “total system failure” before (not in the Tesla) ... power steering and power braking suddenly going away. Alternator seized up and snapped the serpentine belt. It definitely takes some manual effort, that’s for sure. But the systems ARE mechanically connected, so without any power whatsoever, it’s still controllable.

I’ll argue that the Tesla is even better than almost any other system out there, as not only do you have the hydraulic braking, but there’s ALSO regenerative braking available. AND, the electric steering rack has redundant control as well on Model 3.

Sorry this happened @3silverISgold. It’s difficult but manual reversion of the braking system is available. If you’ve never driven without power braking before, it takes a surprisingly large amount of force ... but the hydraulics are all there and working - if they weren’t, your pedal wouldn’t be stiff, it’d be on the floor.