Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Cost of Ownership (Tesla and ICE)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody,

I've been working on a spreadsheet to try and find the true TCO using a net present cost analysis. I'd love to hear any questions, corrections, or improvements on the sheet I have. It's based off of a Khan Academy Rent vs. Buy analysis but has been retrofitted and improved for EV and ICE cars. I tried to put in a best guess for some of the numbers like maintenance, tires, fuel, etc costs, but it'd be great to hear some discussion of how accurate my numbers are. The costs are all allocated monthly so even costs such as tires which are one time expenses every X number of years are included monthly. However, I still feel this is far more accurate when combined with using present value of dollars rather than a TCO that does not take PV into consideration. I don't own a Tesla but am looking into the Model X.

Thanks.

View attachment 53584

I went through the same thing when looking at replacing my 2007 Acura MDX with a Model S. I looked at buying a 2014 Acura MDX vs owning a Tesla. I now drive a Tesla, here's why:

Cost Justification a tie? | Tesla Living

The cost was the same to me over the 7 years I expect to drive the car. Some of the factors depend on your situation - electricity cost, miles driven per year etc.

Don't believe the conservative numbers Tesla provides on energy used. Also you need to factor in the power lost in charging (about 15%) etc.

I think your spreadsheet spends too much on "what if", and myself would consider letting fly / self-insuring. You won't get to realize the cheaper costs of EV maintenance, paying for that spreadsheet. "12,000" battery, "1,900" extended warranty and .5 cents per mile "maint" are all not worth it, to me.

10k miles per year won't be as compelling on fuel savings, but they may save you some depreciation. Lastly, what is your depreciation?

Hi everybody,

I've been working on a spreadsheet to try and find the true TCO using a net present cost analysis.

View attachment 53584

Just for the fun of it, I did a partial cost of ownership analysis. It was for the sake of those who insist that even a $35K model won't be affordable for many. I got a loan at .99% from DCU. I went under the assumption that others would pay 1.5%. It's too soon to see about tires and other maintenance items, so I left them out, assumed tires would be similar, and routine oil changes would be gone, etc. But I made that a footnote instead of part of the calculations. I also did a "what if" assuming that there would be state and federal rebates of $10K, and also did the analysis without it. I figured on $75/week for gas, which is near what I pay, compared to using a nearby Tesla charger or plugging in at work for free. Not everybody would be in that situation, but it's my hypothetical and I figure that those looking for a cheap car would be likely to seek out free charging if possible. Around here, it's increasingly common for employers to give a place to plug in, and if not, the power company gives lower rates. I've had somebody who charges at home tell me his overall electric bill is lower with the discount than without the Tesla. A lighter car with a newer battery has some unknowns that I didn't factor in, but it might be even cheaper to run.

Then I came up with a monthly payment for a four year loan. I took the payment and subtracted $300, which would have to be the payment size for somebody who wants about the same monthly overall expense. With the amount of money left over, it would let a person get an $11,500 car, roughly, with the rebate factored in. I don't have the exact numbers but it's easy to plug into something. Without rebates, I think it compared to a $21,000 car. So my question wasn't how a person could afford a Model III, but how a person could afford not to have one.

Yes, the numbers were very rough, but give a rough idea of where things might stand. It could turn out that my numbers are wrong because maintenance cost way less. Interest rates might be lower than what I used. Electricity might be lower and a person might even make money on the deal if you factor in a drop in a utility bill. If you throw in a few vacations with charging stations along the way, that's more savings. Then it might compare favorably to getting one vs keeping an existing car. Even if you go the other way, assume no rebates, have a marginal cost for electricity, and a big gasoline savings, you still end up with an affordable car. You also have to factor in the fact that once the loan is paid off, the monthly savings are still there for gasoline. If a person keeps a Model III for eight years, it might be as cheap as getting an ICE vehicle for free.

So once the Model III comes out, there will be a risk of all cars looking the same if everybody buys one. Other car companies are in no hurry to build EVs and I don't see them trying to catch up any time soon. So I don't see a lot of competition on the horizon.

Of course my optimistic case isn't likely to be realistic, but at the other end, it might be realistic to expect a reasonable savings compared to keeping a $20,000 car for eight years.

Hello all, I have been reading all of the forums on this website with great interest since I am highly debating whether to purchase a 2014 Model S 85kwh or a 2014 Prius, to replace my 2004 Prius currently with 250,000 miles on the odometer and naturally, the overall cost of ownership is one of the big deciding factors.

My daily 130 mile commute averaging 50mpg in the Prius at the current gas price of $3.33 as of 08/01/14 costs me approximately $43.29 per week. I contacted my electric utility company and the "off peak" electricity rate is .9 cents per kwh vs. .22 for "peak". Using Tesla's charge time and cost calculator, my daily charge time would be 02:12 at a COST $3.85 at off peak rate, ENERGY used 42.8kWh - which translates to a weekly cost of electricity at $19.25 vs. $43.29 of gas. I am also taking into considerations both the Federal/NJ state incentives ($7,500 tax credit / No NJ sales tax for EV purchase). However, with all of the readings about the integrity of the drive units that many owners have had to replaced or the longevity of the batteries, after the Fed/State incentives and on going gas/maintenance savings (ie. oil changes, oil, fluids, timing belts, hoses etc), is the Tesla still a good buy for the long term with regards to overall cost of ownership? Your thoughts and comments will be highly appreciated.

These comparisons only make sense when you compare apples to apples, i.e. Audi A7-A8, BWM 5 Series, Mercedes S Class. When the Model 3 comes out, comparisons to less expensive vehicles will be more logical.

Two factors that can't be measured in dollars are:

1. The hassle of dropping off, picking up, and waiting for your car while having routine maintenance work and warranty repairs done.

2. The joy and inner peace of driving a luxury electric car—when a three hour drive feels like a one hour drive.

These comparisons only make sense when you compare apples to apples, i.e. Audi A7-A8, BWM 5 Series, Mercedes S Class. When the Model 3 comes out, comparisons to less expensive vehicles will be more logical.

This is probably the most logical and straightforward answer I've seen.

I'm desperately trying to make the purchase of a used 7 year old compact with 75k mi compare with any new Tesla coming out in the next four years. The math just doesn't work. I don't understand how people can always buy new cars every few years. Maybe I'm just too practical.

I'm desperately trying to make the purchase of a used 7 year old compact with 75k mi compare with any new Tesla coming out in the next four years. The math just doesn't work.

It's like this. The cheapest way you can live is rent a one room furnished apartment and eat canned beans. However, most people don't want to live like that. Having a nice house and shopping at Whole Foods or a local Co-op is never going to beat the one room furnished apartment and canned beans cost-wise.

With the Tesla there are other things to consider besides just straight dollars such as:

- The safety compared to a seven year old car
- The driving experience
- Being part of the future
- Not having to purchase from a dealer
- Not supporting unfriendly countries
- Helping to keep the air and water clean

Now if these things don't matter to you at all, then you should get that seven year old car. If they do then you have to factor those in.