TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Total costs of owning Model S in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Brian May, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Brian May

Brian May Member

What is the total running costs (not including costs on the website designer as part of the upfront costs) of owning a Model S in Australia?

I can think of:
    • electricity - depends on usage - not particularly interested in this here.
    • registration - assume this is the same for any car - my last registration fee for my existing (including TAC and insurance duty) was $719.90 in Victoria for the year.
    • maintenance of the car - as described here . If you pay in advance, looks like $4,500 for 8 years (depending on how far you drive), or average $562.50 per year.
    • insurance - how much do insurance companies charge?
    Is there anything else I missed?

2. Brian May

Brian May Member

Forgot one extra initial cost: Cost of purchasing and installing appropriate charger at house. Which probably has a lot of variables depending on the house, existing setup, and how fast you want the charging to occur.

3. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

#3 EcoCloudIT, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Brian,
    1. Previously 4-5 tanks a month of fuel on a car that travelled around 600km's per tank, I now SC (free) 4-5 times per month when I am passing Richmond SC (between customer appointments) and the rest at home. This means I charge at home around 3 times per month at a cost of $15.75 per charge (based on 90% charged on a Model S 70 at a rate of 25cents/kw). So essentially saving around $358 per month on fuel (just a guess but fairly accurate I dare say)
    2. In VIC for Rego, no discount...so yeah...about $719 from memory
    3. Haven't had my Tesla long enough, only in it’s 5 month now, however I have been told to expect around the $600pa, vastly cheaper than my last car (an SLK)….that thing cost thousands per year, ridiculous
    4. I searched high and low when getting insurance. For me I found RACV the best. I put my excess up at $2,000, I have a Rating 1 and since the first 2 years of a new car is covered with new for old I just selected the option “market value”. In 2 years I'll change over to agreed value.
    5. I paid around $400 to have my wall unit installed...I had a cable run that can handle 40AMPs which is the maximum for single phase. As a general rule of thumb I plug in when I get home (if it's a charging night) and the car takes around 6.5 hours to charge...not that it would really matter if it took 9-10 hours to fully charge as that is how long the car is not in use as a minimum on average.

Hope that helps.

-ECIT

4. baillies

baillies Member

Forgot Tires, wear maybe different to an ice especially if you enjoy the Tesla grin...

5. Brian May

Brian May Member

Yes, that helps thanks. Two points I am unclear on:

• How much is the insurance premiums for $2,000 excess? Actually $2,000 excess seems a lot to me, but I would hope that would translate to significantly reduced premiums.
    • I assume the $400 for installing the charger did not include the cost of the charger itself. How much does the charger cost without installation? I am guessing this might vary depending on if you get 1 phase or 3 phrase.

6. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

The monthly Insurance premium dropped to just under $100 per month, around $90 per month when I added in my two other cars (discount)....and yes a $2,000 excess. Unless I have more than $2,000 of damage I would be inclined to pay cash to fix any damage etc. in order to safe guard my no claim bonus. The whole protect your Rating 1 is a load of toss, the instant you make a claim your next yearly "renewal" goes up...sure they still apply a Rate 1 discount however on a highly yearly/monthly fee.

The wall unit is free when you buy the car, so only the cost of the electrician which for me was $400....was fairly easy access however the cable run was around 25m at a guess.

-ECIT

7. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

I pay $1600 per year ins with racv. I dont drive much am nearly retd. I mostly drive to our country property 100ks away. We have solar both ends but grid power as well in the country The country place has 2 kW of pv which is not enough so I supplement with off pk power at about 12c kwhr. Typically use 20kwhrs so $3.20 off pk. Will add an extra 3 kW of pv eventually. I paid cash for the Tes so no monthly repayments. Dont intend getting any service work done as Musk says there is no penalty. This is the reason I bought an EV.. I have only once been to the Richmond SC.

8. paulp

paulp Member

We connected 3.5kw of solar to our first tesla which has done 13000km since july. We havn't used all of the solar capacity, so 3.5 prooved too much for our needs. It's north facing at the most efficient angle, and SA is good for solar, all of which makes a difference to the system size.

9. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

A local country friend who has an 85D has no grid power thinks he will need 20kW of pv to get thru winter and charge his car. it is up 650m and cloudy in winter.

10. raynewman

raynewman Member

Was rung by Tesla PowerWall chap today who confirmed, currently, PowerWall does NOT support 'off grid' so they are no use.

11. 360C

360C Member

You should be able to get insurance at circa 1% of insured value as a general rule. You can decrease premium by increasing the excess or putting a low ceiling on the number of km travelled a year.

12. 360C

360C Member

#13 360C, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    I have a 10kw system with 24kw/hr of battery storage at home. There are many times when charging the car exceeds the systems capacity to provide power. The car seems to draw circa 8kw on its own when charging according to the solar monitoring software. The batteries provide a boost to available power; but if the house on its own is using more than circa 3kw, we will be drawing from mains power to operate the house and charge car at the same time.
    Your friend is right. He will need 20kw solar system probably supplemented by a generator to charge the car year round.
    We use traditional gel pack batteries which give much better bang for your buck than power wall. Not as sexy; but way better value.
    I am looking at upgrading my system to 20kw. In summer whith airconditioners running and car charging, the house uses 15kw plus.
    I expect to run 2 Tesla cars on my upgraded system when the Model X eventually turns up.

13. 360C

360C Member

Our solar/battery storage system can be used in true offgrid situations. If necessary it is combined with a generator.System is already in use in many rural sites.

14. paulp

paulp Member

You would have to be in the worst possible conditions, or drive a very significant distance if you need a 20kw system plus generator to just charge your car.

15. Brian May

Brian May Member

I wish. My current premium is $475 per year for agreed value of $5000 with Bingle. I shopped around too, IIRC other companies quoted at least twice that. Seems crazy for under 4.4 times the premium (=$2090) I could get an agreed value 40 times higher (=$200000) for a much more powerful car.

16. Brian May

Brian May Member

Just recently, I got my house evaluated for solar power. Seems we would lose at least 50% power due to nearby shading from trees to the north. So if you have large amounts of shading, I could believe it.

I have heard that it is a legal requirement that the solar/battery system shut itself down if the grid goes down. This is to prevent pushing power into the grid when people are trying to repair broken cables and electrocuting them. Apparently it is possible to have a switch automatically shut off the power to the grid if the grid goes down, however last I heard (this was several years ago now so possibly dated) none been approved in Australia.

17. Brian May

Brian May Member

Do the costs quoted on the Model S designer page include GST? Or does GST need to be added to the amount? The page doesn't seem to mention GST.

18. raynewman

raynewman Member

GST is included.

19. Brian May

Brian May Member

Good. Glad to hear it. I thought his would be the case, however wanted to make sure before I made a total fool of myself in another thread :)