Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Crap OEM Goodyear F1 Asymmetric Tires - Beware in snow!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree to disagree. OEM all-season tires in the past have all been decent (though, admittedly this is first EV). To have to spend >$1k to replace OEM with decent all-season tires or order 2nd set of wheels & tires for $3.5k is very annoying.

What sort of "all season" tires do you have experience with? Keep in mind these are performance all season, not touring all seasons. They are automatically going to be much worse in the snow than a standard touring tire. Someone already mentioned it but most OEM tires are quite bad in the winter - especially if its a performance all season. Go to tire rack and look at the ratings for the continental tires that come on the 19" wheels - they have horrible reviews. Tesla tilts all their cars toward max range, so you're going to have tires that are low rolling resistance and generally have bad rubber compound for winter. These aren't 'normal cars' where you commonly have pretty good tires that come on an SUV.

It is unfortunate that tesla doesn't do more education but I think they don't want to scare people away; so you end up just having to learn it yourself and make a judgement call for your own safety.

At least you don't own a performance car and have no understanding of what a summer tire is, and you absolutely should not be driving it in winter.....

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
What sort of "all season" tires do you have experience with? Keep in mind these are performance all season, not touring all seasons. They are automatically going to be much worse in the snow than a standard touring tire. Someone already mentioned it but most OEM tires are quite bad in the winter - especially if its a performance all season. Go to tire rack and look at the ratings for the continental tires that come on the 19" wheels - they have horrible reviews. Tesla tilts all their cars toward max range, so you're going to have tires that are low rolling resistance and generally have bad rubber compound for winter. These aren't 'normal cars' where you commonly have pretty good tires that come on an SUV.

It is unfortunate that tesla doesn't do more education but I think they don't want to scare people away; so you end up just having to learn it yourself and make a judgement call for your own safety.

At least you don't own a performance car and have no understanding of what a summer tire is, and you absolutely should not be driving it in winter.....

I’ve used both Continental DWS 06 and LW20’s on my vehicles. Both have been excellent in Wiscosnin winters. As good as snow? Of course not. But decent enough. The Goodyear’s are so much worse than decent.

I’ve used both Continental DWS 06 and LW20’s on my vehicles. Both have been excellent in Wiscosnin winters. As good as snow? Of course not. But decent enough. The Goodyear’s are so much worse than decent.

DWS06 is known for being an exceptionally good high performance all season tire in the winter. 90% of its high performance all season competition won't be nearly as good. I had dws on my model 3 :) Almost put them on the Y, but opted for vredestein quatrac pro.

Reactions: patnshan
The all season Pirelli Scorpion Verde 20” tires I had on my 2018 Audi SQ5 were good in the snow. Had no issues.

Same with the 19” all season Michelin Latitude run flats I had on my 2012 BMW X5 diesel.

The Goodyear eagle F1s seem to have less snow traction than those previous two tires...but I haven’t had to drive in the deep snow yet so jury is still out for me.

So folks:

Since this thread was originally posted, has then been any general updates to how these tires do in moderate winter weather.

I'm about to head up to Boston and I've got the "PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4" 21in wheels that came with my MYP. I put the Goodyears on to see just how much the range would improve (it's 10% for ~330miles FWIW). They are still on the 20in wheels as I haven't worn them out yet....

So folks:

Since this thread was originally posted, has then been any general updates to how these tires do in moderate winter weather.

I'm about to head up to Boston and I've got the "PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4" 21in wheels that came with my MYP. I put the Goodyears on to see just how much the range would improve (it's 10% for ~330miles FWIW). They are still on the 20in wheels as I haven't worn them out yet....
Be sure to post an update after your New England trip.

So folks:

If you’re asking about the Goodyears, they’re still terrible in the snow. Personally I wouldn’t risk driving on them anywhere you might encounter snow.

The PS4 A/S should do fine-ish.

If you’re asking about the Goodyears, they’re still terrible in the snow. Personally I wouldn’t risk driving on them anywhere you might encounter snow.

This shouldn't be shocking to anyone that the Goodyears are bad in the snow

1668781451420.png

The PS4 A/S should be lightyears better, but still nowhere near a real snow tire

Agree, the Goodyear Eagle F1 20” tires are not good in the snow. I used them for 2 winter seasons in the Boston area. They would slip when starting from a red light / stop if there was a small amount of snow or slush on the ground, when braking you’d have to be smooth and cautious.

I switched to the Vredestein Quatrac Pros in September, so looking forward to see how they perform in the snow.