Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Failure of Compressor Twice While SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model 6 70D. While at the Truckee SC last December 2017 my compressor failed and broke and refrigerant leaked out. The car was towed to the service center in Reno and fixed by Tesla. They said it was due to the Tesla approved body shop not repairing my car correctly from a side swipe collision in May 2017. Someone clobbered me on the freeway. Ok fine. Fast forward almost one year and I am driving across country and at the very same super charger it fails again. This time the air temp is colder so I can still kind of charge but very slowly. I make it to Salt Lake and it has failed again and needs to be replaced and has sent metal shards throughout the system. I asked is this is an "issue" for Tesla or is this a result of the accident still. They said it is neither. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Compressor failures tend to send metal through the AC system, that trigger more compressor failures. You need to make sure to flush the system very thoroughly, and install a filter in the suction line if possible. I'm not familiar with the Tesla AC system, some times they're really difficult to completely flush depending on the orientation of the evaporator and lines.