Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total loss of battery pack on new 2022 MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on a road trip in my 2-month old Model Y Performance, driving from SF-LA-LV. Everything was going well, and I was at my first stopping point in LA. I had supercharged a couple of times on the way down, and was stopping for my 3rd supercharge, after an hour of stop and go LA traffic.

20 minutes into my charging session, a car pulled up next to me and plugged in. Then I heard the horrible POP of the pyro fuse, followed by the dreaded errors. First, "Unable to charge - Supercharger reports an error", then "Vehicle may not restart; Service is required," "Electrial system is unable to support all features; Shutting down features to conserve energy" etc.

The vehicle was towed into the service center with less than 2k miles on it, and it's going to need a pack replacement which is inbound from Fremont / Reno.

Based on the car next to me plugging in around the time this happened, and the first error being a supercharger one, I have a theory that maybe the supercharger itself had an HV electrical component failure that surged energy into my car. Just a guess.

Anyway, somewhat disappointing, but otherwise the MYP has been fantastic. Hopefully it will be back on the road soon. Just wanted to share this story for informational value :)

I was on a road trip in my 2-month old Model Y Performance, driving from SF-LA-LV. Everything was going well, and I was at my first stopping point in LA. I had supercharged a couple of times on the way down, and was stopping for my 3rd supercharge, after an hour of stop and go LA traffic.

20 minutes into my charging session, a car pulled up next to me and plugged in. Then I heard the horrible POP of the pyro fuse, followed by the dreaded errors. First, "Unable to charge - Supercharger reports an error", then "Vehicle may not restart; Service is required," "Electrial system is unable to support all features; Shutting down features to conserve energy" etc.

The vehicle was towed into the service center with less than 2k miles on it, and it's going to need a pack replacement which is inbound from Fremont / Reno.

Based on the car next to me plugging in around the time this happened, and the first error being a supercharger one, I have a theory that maybe the supercharger itself had an HV electrical component failure that surged energy into my car. Just a guess.

Anyway, somewhat disappointing, but otherwise the MYP has been fantastic. Hopefully it will be back on the road soon. Just wanted to share this story for informational value :)
did you get a loaner from Tesla Service Center when you were in LA? I assume you needed to leave your car in the LA service center, once it is fixed, would they delivery the car back to you in SF?

did you get a loaner from Tesla Service Center when you were in LA? I assume you needed to leave your car in the LA service center, once it is fixed, would they delivery the car back to you in SF?
They did offer me a M3 loaner, but since I was flying out of LV a few days later, a one-way rental worked out better, which they provided. They also said shipping to SF could be a possibility upon repair completion, but I do need to leave the MY in LV for a bit, so I'll most likely fly back in and drive it to LV. Flights are pretty cheap right now.

There's also a $100/day Uber credit while it's in repair, so that's made getting to/from the airports easier.

They did offer me a M3 loaner, but since I was flying out of LV a few days later, a one-way rental worked out better, which they provided. They also said shipping to SF could be a possibility upon repair completion, but I do need to leave the MY in LV for a bit, so I'll most likely fly back in and drive it to LV. Flights are pretty cheap right now.

There's also a $100/day Uber credit while it's in repair, so that's made getting to/from the airports easier.
that is good to know and sorry for the trouble/repair you have to deal with. Hypothetical speaking, if they would need to keep your car for 10 days in repair, would they pay 10 days Uber credit? or would they be willing to give the rental?

that is good to know and sorry for the trouble/repair you have to deal with. Hypothetical speaking, if they would need to keep your car for 10 days in repair, would they pay 10 days Uber credit? or would they be willing to give the rental?
They would let the Uber credit run for the full repair. And I probably could have kept the rental. Luckily this isn't my primary vehicle so it's just more of a logistics thing at this point.

I'm very glad this happened a mile from my friend's house that I was visiting, rather than the following morning in the middle of the Nevada desert. So all things considered, it's not a huge deal..just an inconvenience. I would have been bummed to get a refurb, high mileage pack, but due to the pace of builds and the fact that packs were updated to 83kWh last year, I'm expecting it to be a new one.

On that note, anyone know how to visually identify whether the pack is new or rebuilt?

Reactions: Hickster
Just an update on this and a bit more info 💡

I picked up the MYP today, and so far it's running great. While the part number states a remanufactured pack, the service team told me that the Model Y packs are so new and in demand that they don't have reman packs available, so a new one went in. I was unable to confirm/deny, or to find a sticker on the pack. (I peeked under the car in a couple spots, but don't know exactly where it's placed.)

The invoice showed the following:

ASY,HVBAT,75kWh,2170L,AWD,1PH,M3Y,RMN(1137375- 01-W) $9,000
HV battery - remove & replace (labor) $924
2nd row center buckle - remove & replace (labor) $63

I was thinking, and the service advisor also commented, about how cheap that pricing is compared to what we've seen in the past. $9k for a pack and $987 for labor. Good news if someone needs to pay for a pack out of pocket.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The same thing happened to me! Was just told this morning I need a new battery, and just took delivery on the car on 2/19. Got the same SC error, but they looked at it and said there were no issues, charged in the shop, and sent me off. The next day I got the pop and an error, then the car would not turn back on.

I got the error on 3 separate SC stalls (on two different days), no one plugged in near me. Just an odd issue

Just an update on this and a bit more info 💡

I picked up the MYP today, and so far it's running great. While the part number states a remanufactured pack, the service team told me that the Model Y packs are so new and in demand that they don't have reman packs available, so a new one went in. I was unable to confirm/deny, or to find a sticker on the pack. (I peeked under the car in a couple spots, but don't know exactly where it's placed.)

The invoice showed the following:

ASY,HVBAT,75kWh,2170L,AWD,1PH,M3Y,RMN(1137375- 01-W) $9,000
HV battery - remove & replace (labor) $924
2nd row center buckle - remove & replace (labor) $63

I was thinking, and the service advisor also commented, about how cheap that pricing is compared to what we've seen in the past. $9k for a pack and $987 for labor. Good news if someone needs to pay for a pack out of pocket.
Not that it matters, but I thought starting in mid 21', they switched to an 82kw pack from the 75?

Thought I would also mention that we received the “Unable to charge - Supercharger reports an error” at the same supercharger station when driving to visit family at Thanksgiving and Christmas. In these instances we were ultimately able to successfully charge after switching to a different supercharger portal.

We don’t use superchargers very often and haven’t had any problems with our home charger at all.

Hopefully we will find out more once the Nashville service center opens today.

$9K definitely seems low...very low, given there are YouTube videos out there with M3 battery replacement bills for $23K+. I don't believe the $9K number is an entire battery replacement, it just doesn't align with any other data points.
Your skepticism is noted. The entire battery pack was definitely replaced and that was the invoice I received for the work, though it was covered under warranty.

Well the invoice says remanufactured, so that's probably why the price discrepancy. $23k is for a new pack. What prob happened is that he was invoiced for a remanufactured one, but they didn't have any, so they just got a new one instead... I see stuff like that happen all the time across other industries as well.

Reactions: TechOps
Well the invoice says remanufactured, so that's probably why the price discrepancy. $23k is for a new pack. What prob happened is that he was invoiced for a remanufactured one, but they didn't have any, so they just got a new one instead... I see stuff like that happen all the time across other industries as well.
I hope that's what happened, but as mentioned I don't have a way to confirm whether it was new. I did use Scan My Tesla app, which showed slight degradation from full capacity, but I still don't have a definitive way to confirm or deny exactly what pack was installed. Any suggestions are welcome.

Yes I think you are correct. But if the service writer billed for a reman pack maybe they would have gave him the 75. But if it’s new it should be 82. I would get them to give you in writing what battery they installed in your vehicle
Maybe I'm just nitpicky, but I'd be pretty pissed if they gave me a remanufactured unit that was worse specs than the OE part. That would be like if I took my car in for service, and they replaced my 4 piston brembo calipers with a remanufactured dual piston or single piston caliper.

Reactions: TechOps
So I followed up with Tesla again. They are claiming that the original battery pack the car was manufactured with was a 75 kWh pack. And they replaced it with a 75 kWh pack.

This is for a model year 2022 Model Y Performance, which was delivered in December 2021. Something is very strange here.