Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Newbie Question - Supercharging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome :)

it uses the card in your Tesla.com account, if you paid a deposit for the car that card is stored

then just drive in (reverse) and plug in the top/bigger cable. You may need to lift it up-then-out to release the catch.

That’s it.

If you leave the car check the app to tell you when it’s nearly finished. It’ll send a notification 10 mins before it’s finished.
Don’t leave the car plugged in for more than 5 mins once it’s finished or you’ll get idle fees of 70p/minute

on some busy places it will initially reduce any target SoC above 80% to 80%, but you can override if you wish.

Reactions: Roy W.
When planning to Supercharge you press the button at the bottom left of the screen with the lightning bolt. Then choose which Supercharger you are going to.
This ensures that the battery is heated for the fastest charge, it will still charge if you don't.
When you arrive, just plug in using the plug with the corresponding pins that are below the Type 2 socket. They are combined.

The car will be recognised and you will be billed to the card on your account.

Simples.

Top tip; the superchargers are numbered 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3c etc. The numbers share a power source, so it’s always best to park at a number where there is no other cars charging. Eg if someone is parking on 3a it’s best to skip 3b and move to 4a (assuming 4b is free!).

just a little Tesla etiquette and also maximises the charge / reduces the waiting time as you get the maximum charge from the supercharger.

Reactions: CMc1 and Rustybkts
In my experience bumping into newbs at Superchargers there are two issues they have:

1. Getting the cable out of the charger sometimes requires a lot of wiggling and pulling.

2. When plugging into your car, make sure it is pushed in all the way firmly!

Use the button on the supercharger Handle to pop the charge port and hold to unlock the handle once finished. No need to do anything on touch screen.

The flap will also auto close. No need to press it down as some people do.

mind the gap (stall number/letters)

charge only what you need to reach destination/next charger, this will make your overall journey quicker as speed dramatically decrease as battery fills. You can program destination in Nav when charging and it’ll suggest how long to spend at the charger to reach destination.

ensure the supercharger is programmed into the Nav using the suggestion earlier and not manually using postcode etc. This ensures preconditioning (if car thinks its required)

enjoy

Last edited:
Have to say from my 48hr test drive last year, the first thing I did was go visit a SC (Warwick M40), really simple experience - then did it again at Hopwood M42 the next night, it was the thing that sold the vehicle to me. Getting plug out of SC unit was a bit fiddly at one of the locations but all in all it was a doddle.

I did that weird looking around at other people charging nearby thing in some sort of odd “look I’m charging my car” ritual - being my first time ever plugging a car in rather than filling up - but nobody was interested - gave me the impression that very quickly it becomes a different way of operating a car and just part of daily life.

Top tip; the superchargers are numbered 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3c etc. The numbers share a power source, so it’s always best to park at a number where there is no other cars charging. Eg if someone is parking on 3a it’s best to skip 3b and move to 4a (assuming 4b is free!).

just a little Tesla etiquette and also maximises the charge / reduces the waiting time as you get the maximum charge from the supercharger.
Unless it's a V3, then you can use any you fancy

Reactions: Cnixon
speed dramatically decrease as battery fills.

total newbie here too (so thanks to original person for asking this question so I could also learn!)

Follow up question.... IS THIS TRUE?! No petrol to make a full tank heavy, but the full battery slows you down?? is it a physics, weight thing? is a full battery 'heavy' or is it the way the computer is choosing to use the available charge - this is something I would never have expected! This could be a really stupid question.... but I'm really curious!

total newbie here too (so thanks to original person for asking this question so I could also learn!)

Follow up question.... IS THIS TRUE?! No petrol to make a full tank heavy, but the full battery slows you down?? is it a physics, weight thing? is a full battery 'heavy' or is it the way the computer is choosing to use the available charge - this is something I would never have expected! This could be a really stupid question.... but I'm really curious!

In this case, the speed is the speed of charging, not driving.

The final 80-100% of the battery can't be charged at the same rate as 20-80% of the battery's capacity. Add to this that you'll get reduced regen with a completely full battery and there really is no point waiting to get to 100% charge, unless you really really need the range.

I'm new to this all of this, had the car less than two weeks, and I'm not driving it much at the moment, but I look at supercharging/fast charging on the the basis of "What the minimum I need to charge, to get me there (and back, maybe) and then to a cheap/free slow charger?"

In many cases, I'll be looking to supercharge/fast charge just enough to get me to my destination, where I'll be able to slow charge back to a decent level of charge, before having to think about where I'm going/what I'm doing next.

Best example so far was a 300 mile round trip in one day. I almost could have done it in one go, but 20 mins on a 50kW fast charger meant I had plenty of range to get me home without worrying about range at all.