Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Pack Power vs. Ownership Lifetime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, your data looks good. The first value is the system total, then each PW.

My smaller 2 powerwall system shows:

"nominal_full_pack_energy":27950
"nominal_full_pack_energy":13930
"nominal_full_pack_energy":14020

So similar results as yours. Installed in May 2018.

OK, so nearly zero degradation. Interesting.

I do have an "off normal" usage pattern. I work from home, so usually one or both cars are charging during the daytime, so the input to the 4 x PW2 system is attenuated (probably 5kw or less at a time, total) and much lower than if I was feeding in the full solar to them. This, in theory, should result in less heat generation and longer life.

I do have an "off normal" usage pattern. I work from home, so usually one or both cars are charging during the daytime, so the input to the 4 x PW2 system is attenuated (probably 5kw or less at a time, total) and much lower than if I was feeding in the full solar to them. This, in theory, should result in less heat generation and longer life.
Mine have been in Cost Savings TOU mode the entire time, and typically go from 100% to 40% each day, then recharge the next day. I'm only at 100% for a few hours before the afternoon peak period. My feeling is regular cycling helps maintain the capacity.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Is that power wall IP the one you see on the wifi router? I tried and it said not authorized.
Any other hints on how to?

Within first 6 months of usage- approx 38 cycles worth of energy discharged (but no deep cycling)
Powerwalls total (2x): "nominal_full_pack_energy":28700,
Powerwall+: "nominal_full_pack_energy":14361,"energy_charged":650630,"energy_discharged":539030
Powerwall: "nominal_full_pack_energy":14339,"energy_charged":659480,"energy_discharged":548270

Thank you…where do i type it? Doni just type it on a regular internet web browser ?https://10.10.10.20.net
Pw address= gateway log in?
Just 4 byte numerical IP address. Your browser is going to complain that it isn't secure and you will need to select the advanced option and the proceed option. You will then get a login dialog box. The email and password is what you setup it up with the first time, there's a forgot password open.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Yes, but you need to log in first to be authenticated for the API calls.
Just 4 byte numerical IP address. Your browser is going to complain that it isn't secure and you will need to select the advanced option and the proceed option. You will then get a login dialog box. The email and password is what you setup it up with the first time, there's a forgot password open.
Thanks. Boy, at first I couldn't figure out what was going on after the IP got me to sign in, customer, PW, etc and the picture with the house, battery, solar, grid
display. None of the info there got me anything beyond routine. I gave up at first.

Then, just now I decided to add the /api/system_status after the IP numbers still in the address bar.
WOW, 9 full lines of stuff. Looks like the batter is in good shape with "nominal_full_pack_energy":13740, each.
What got me is not adding that API after log in to the IP number. Just didn't dawn on me until just now

Thanks again.

Thanks. Boy, at first I couldn't figure out what was going on after the IP got me to sign in, customer, PW, etc and the picture with the house, battery, solar, grid
display. None of the info there got me anything beyond routine. I gave up at first.

Then, just now I decided to add the /api/system_status after the IP numbers still in the address bar.
WOW, 9 full lines of stuff. Looks like the batter is in good shape with "nominal_full_pack_energy":13740, each.
What got me is not adding that API after log in to the IP number. Just didn't dawn on me until just now

Thanks again.
/api/status gets you uptime and firmware version
/api/meters/aggregates gets you a lot details for all of the Powerwalls including the import and export numbers

Is this normal? One of my powerwall is almost 15k…
nominal_full_pack_energy":42811
nominal_full_pack_energy":13950
nominal_full_pack_energy":13999
nominal_full_pack_energy":14862

I been cycling my power from 100%-5% everyday for the first month since it got installed i was able to get 41kw from the 3 powerwall… but now we manage our usage and its been cycling from 100%-30%for 3 weeks now…

Last edited:
Is this normal? One of my powerwall is almost 15k…
nominal_full_pack_energy":42811
nominal_full_pack_energy":13950
nominal_full_pack_energy":13999
nominal_full_pack_energy":14862

I been cycling my power from 100%-5% everyday for the first month since it got installed i was able to get 41kw from the 3 powerwall… but now we manage our usage and its been cycling from 100%-30%for 3 weeks now…
A bit higher than most people report for new systems, but not much more. The consensus is that on average the start with 14kWh capacity. A reddit thread that did a tear down implies that they might have a capacity up to 17.9 kWh based on the number of battery cells and the cell type.

Just as a datapoint, my Powerwalls were installed February 2018. The reported capacity is 27608. However, yesterday my Powerwalls charged from 33% to 100% and then discharged to 33%. The total_energy_left was 9101, for a total discharge of 18507. However, the cumulative powerwall discharge amount was only 16.98 kWh.

It seems like the pack capacity reported more closely matches the amount of energy taken to charge the pack. The energy that went to the Powerwall during the 24 hour period was 19.07 kWh, which would imply a parasitic loss of about 560 Wh if the 18.5 kWh measures how much energy went into the batteries. That comes out to 280 Wh/Powerwall/day - consistent with what's been posted here before, I think.

Just as a datapoint, my Powerwalls were installed February 2018. The reported capacity is 27608. However, yesterday my Powerwalls charged from 33% to 100% and then discharged to 33%. The total_energy_left was 9101, for a total discharge of 18507. However, the cumulative powerwall discharge amount was only 16.98 kWh.

It seems like the pack capacity reported more closely matches the amount of energy taken to charge the pack. The energy that went to the Powerwall during the 24 hour period was 19.07 kWh, which would imply a parasitic loss of about 560 Wh if the 18.5 kWh measures how much energy went into the batteries. That comes out to 280 Wh/Powerwall/day - consistent with what's been posted here before, I think.

Roundtrip efficiency loss is about 10%, as reported by Tesla in specs.

A bit higher than most people report for new systems, but not much more. The consensus is that on average the start with 14kWh capacity. A reddit thread that did a tear down implies that they might have a capacity up to 17.9 kWh based on the number of battery cells and the cell type.
If one were Tesla, wouldn't it would make sense to develop a market for cells that don't meet the necessary performance specifications for venicles that need maximum power/weight? i.e. home batteries?

So having a theoretical capacity of 17.9kWh, and an as delivered capacity of ~14kWh would seem to be perfect for Tesla. (No complaints from me, 14kWh is 14kWh.)

Just a thought...

BG

If one were Tesla, wouldn't it would make sense to develop a market for cells that don't meet the necessary performance specifications for venicles that need maximum power/weight? i.e. home batteries?

So having a theoretical capacity of 17.9kWh, and an as delivered capacity of ~14kWh would seem to be perfect for Tesla. (No complaints from me, 14kWh is 14kWh.)

Just a thought...

BG

Aside from the form factor (2170), they are not the same cells. Elon has said many times the chemistry they use for Powerwalls/Powerpacks/Megapacks is very different from the auto cells, in order to allow for deeper cycles without the same level of degradation.

Aside from the form factor (2170), they are not the same cells. Elon has said many times the chemistry they use for Powerwalls/Powerpacks/Megapacks is very different from the auto cells, in order to allow for deeper cycles without the same level of degradation.
I found an Australian battery testing group that has been running accelerated life cycle testing. Their testing methodology is cycling the battery at 80% (90%-10% I think) charge three times a day at hot/cold summer and hot/cold winter levels. They issue reports every 6 months and the latest report from Sep/2021 says that the Powerwall2 chemistry is Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt and after 2110 of their extreme cycles they SOH, State Of Health, was at 79%.

2110 cycles would be the equivalent of 5.78 years, so to have the Powerwall be at 80%. Eyeballing the degradation slope indicates that it would be SOH would be a bit lower than the warranty of 70% after after 10 years, but this is a very extreme cycling schedule that should be unusual in a real word application. They also note that the first PW2 had an internal fault and was replaced in Sept 2018.

1652730502078.png