Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Shutdown of Electronics on Freeway!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had a total electronics shutdown while driving? What could be the reason? Mine is a mid-2018 MX 75D. It still let me drive, but i didn't have back-up camera as the touchscreen went black!

Could this be a MCU issue? I upgraded to HW3 last year. I heard about the MCU recall or something to do with the touchscreen but I never received any recall notice. I am about to go out of warranty so am trying to figure out the best course of action.

MCU1 units were source of recall. Mcu2 was installed on Xs manufactured after mid March 2018 and is not subject to recall.

I would take it in. Alternatively you could see if the MCU come back after reboot. Hold both buttons on steering wheel down for 5 to 10 secs and release.

Reactions: VikH
I had this happen to me once while on the highway with autopilot engaged, and had just switched out of the Web interface back to just the map guidance. Everything froze, except autopilot was still driving the car. My speed indicator wasn't changing even though I slowed down (took it out of autopilot), and the map and GPS froze. Then everything went blank. Just a slight panic and can't tell you if I waited and eventually restarted with the two steering wheel buttons or if it restarted on its own. This was with MCU1 which has been changed out to MCU2. As Jboy210 suggested, take it in. Make sure you note the date and time and they should be able to look at the logs. You should be a MCU2 if it was made after March 2018.

My X has occasionally been doing this- I have an upgraded MCU2 (from MCU1). The first time I took it into service they said they will work on it. It’s been a few weeks, and it’s happened again, I just opened up another service appointment.

Has anyone had a total electronics shutdown while driving? What could be the reason? Mine is a mid-2018 MX 75D. It still let me drive, but i didn't have back-up camera as the touchscreen went black!
This was a regular occurrence for me with MCU1 in my 2017 MX.... easily 50 to 100 times. I have had it occur just once in my (MCU2) model 3. I don’t think a single occurrence is particularly alarming regarding the health of your car, although of course it is a weird driving situation. I guess because you are nearing the end of your warranty that you could ask the SC to investigate. I would be surprised if they say anything is wrong.

It came back when I rebooted after parking. I logged it when it happened so they should be able to look it up when I take it in. I am going to ask them if they will repair/replace MCU at no cost if it happens after my warranty is over since I am reporting it while still under warranty.

It's only the MCU crashing/rebooting, which has very little effect on how the car drives. It's not a "total shutdown of electronics". AP uses a different computer and will work normally without the MCU. You do lose your displays, so it's like driving with a non-working speedometer.

It's been reported here often enough, though I've only had one or two instances in our 2017 MX. It was reassuring to know that when it happened to me.

Could this be a MCU issue? I upgraded to HW3 last year. I heard about the MCU recall or something to do with the touchscreen but I never received any recall notice. I am about to go out of warranty so am trying to figure out the best course of action.

2018 100D with HW3 MCU2 here. This started happening to me after my HW3 upgrade. It’s definitely freaky the first few times this happens, but AP will not crash if it’s been previously enabled.

To resolve, reboot the MCU while driving by holding the two steering wheel scroll wheels until that nice Tesla T appears.I could always tell when the MCU was about to crash as our streaming Tesla music would begin to skip (like a scratched record). Unless I then pulled off the Interstate to reboot, the MCU would inevitably crash while in autopilot.

All that being said, my MCU hasn’t crashed on me since October. I’m assuming a software update resolved the issue. I’m guessing the fundamental problem is related to the forthcoming recall to replace that MCU chip with the bad buffer.

I'm no expert, but I would assume many of these "crashes" are the result of not having enough memory. I just received a Tesla recall that said I have only 8Gb eMMC (Oct 2016 MX) and they will replace my eMMC with a 64Gb chip, even though I haven't experienced the blank screen issue but once ever. They are waiting on the supply chain to build up enough of the parts to replace them all eventually at Tesla's expense.