TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Total Solar Eclipse - Aug 21, 2017

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bonnie, May 14, 2017.

1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Who's making plans? I've got a campsite reserved in Idaho (alongside a bunch of my cousins) that is right in the path of totality.

Anyone else have plans made yet? I'm looking forward to seeing the photos & hearing the stories.

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 1.07.47 PM.png

• Informative x 2
  2. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

We may do a trip up to the top of a ski resort here; I've seen an invite being passed around, but haven't confirmed! Kinda don't want to jinx it and have it be cloudy by making special plans. ;) Where in Idaho will you be camping Bonnie?

3. bonnie

We have several spots reserved at a small campground NE of Idaho Falls (almost dead center on the center line). It's going to be a party with cousins and siblings and my kid and his family ... I'm looking forward to the company and the event. :)

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

We will be close by at Henry Lake ID

• Like x 1
  5. bonnie

Let's touch base beforehand - maybe we can meet up. We'll have plenty of scopes, if you want to join in for the day.

6. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

Got it, you won't be in my neck of the woods this time. Have fun!

• Like x 1
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
  8. bonnie

9. dkemme

dkemme Member

We made reservations in Cheyenne, WY six months ago, $370/night! We will meet up with a bunch of folks early Monday morning to drive up to Glendo, WY.

10. bonnie

We were lucky - the campsite was unaware of the impending event and hadn't raised prices. But all sites are gone now. (Bet they wish they'd looked ahead a bit...)

11. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

I'll probably be in Farragut on that day. Just looking at the timing for some locations around me

Local Circumstances for the 21 AUG 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at Farragut, TN:
    Duration of Totality*: 1m 20s
    Partial phase start: 1:04:26PM (EDT)
    Totality Start*: 2:33:27PM (EDT)
    Partial phase end: 4:02:28PM

Local Circumstances for the 21 AUG 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at Lenoir City, TN:
    Duration of Totality*: 2m 2s
    Partial phase start: 1:04:17PM (EDT)
    Totality Start*: 2:33:02PM (EDT)
    Partial phase end: 4:01:xx PM

12. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

We'll be directly east of you in Jackson Hole @ Snow King Mtn for the festivus.
    But you'll see it before us! :D

13. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

#13 NikeWings, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    There is a thread started by someone in TN with quite a growing group of attendees. I dont have the thread handy, but you may be interested in seeking it out.

Edit: Found it. But it was KY, not TN.
    August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Kentucky

14. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Dismember

We're going to W Wyoming, staying with a friend. I'm hoping the new Wyoming superchargers go in before than to make the trip easier....

15. animorph

animorph Member

Just made flight arrangements for our trip. Flying out August 20th, so your title gave me a momentary heart stoppage. From the link:

August 21, 2017

Eclipse Day!

No human action can disrupt the incessant dance of the cosmos, and the Moon's shadow will not wait on you if you're not ready. Like a mindless juggernaut, it plows its way through space toward a collision course with Earth. As predicted by the astronomers decades in advance, the shadow arrives with perfect accuracy, and touches down in the north Pacific Ocean at 16:48:33 UT*, at local sunrise. (At that spot, the Sun will actually rise while totally eclipsed. This is a sight few people - even veteran eclipse chasers - have seen, and from what we hear, it is quite uncanny.)

16. bonnie

Sorry! Was looking at my 'leave date' - will ask a moderator to correct :).

17. Hammer@OR.US

I'm going to walk out my back door with my cup of coffee to my deck and watch from my chaise.

• Like x 1
  18. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Yeah, I put it in my phone as the 18th then when I got the local time of totality I saw the 21st. Took me a few minutes to adjust and realize.

19. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Member

#19 M0DEL³, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Part of a group that takes TSE's rather seriously. We started planning for this one right after the Mexican eclipse of July 11, 1991. (We were much younger then). The interim 26 years has seen our group scatter (and unfortunately lose a few), but most will be assembling on an 89 acre farm just NW of Linn, Missouri. (But always ready to scramble the evening before as weather dictates.) It will be a party that starts the previous Friday, and includes a Google Hangout to include those whose life circumstance wont allow to be present.

As an interesting aside, we have also already acquired a farm site in Oregon County, MO for the Great TSE of April 8, 2024 - just 7 years from now. This will be an even better eclipse than this years, with a totality period ~300% longer, albeit at a riskier time of the year weather-wise.

The last known TSE to hit Missouri was 148 years ago in 1869, now we will score two of them less than 7 years apart - Sweet....

If Elon has his way, this may be the last TSE in the US where one can gaze upon Mars and know that no human has stepped foot there. Mars will be visible very close to the sun in the August 21 event. Venus, Mercury, and Jupiter will all also be visible.

One has to wonder what battery ranges will be by 2024...

• Like x 1
  20. MitchMitch

MitchMitch Lurker In Chief

So the Lowly Lusk Supercharger looks to be well placed after all! :)
    Least-used supercharger?