Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Solar Eclipse - Aug 21, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My viewing area could be anywhere in Nebraska or Missouri, depending upon the weather. Has anyone seen web sites that are there to specifically forecast cloud cover along the path of totality? I'm hoping someone has something setup to aggregate all the weather forecasts leading up to the eclipse and current weather reports on the day of the eclipse to help you avoid areas that will have cloud cover. The best would be a color coded graph of the path of totality with different colors for the likelihood of an overcast day. I don't want to head somewhere that will be overcast!

I had been hoping to complete my kit from Van's Aircraft Total Performance RV Kit Planes in time for the eclipse to have the whole country be an option for my viewing area. That didn't work out, but I'll be ready for the next total eclipse visible in the US in 2024. While I won't have my plane available, I might have a seat secured with a friend in their airplane from the same kit manufacturer. If we head to an airport and it turns out to be overcast, we could always climb above the cloud deck, turn on the autopilot and still see the eclipse happen. The problem with that is it we wouldn't be able to use my Coronado PST Coronado Personal Solar Telescope (P.S.T.) Telescopes, Solar Telescopes, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes to view the sun during the partial eclipse phase.

Cheyenne to Glendo, Wyoming and back = 202 miles. Will need a 80% charge at least.
Supercharger stations in Cheyenne = 4
# People on this thread alone who say they are going = 3

Plus energy use in traffic and no ability to chase clear skies if cloudy in Glendo. Looks like Jarvis will have to stay home and we'll be taking the Subaru. Darn.

I'm only planning to look at the sun when the eclipse reaches totality and am too cheap (and wary, tbh) to buy a pair of "eclipse glasses", so I'll be using an eclipse viewer like this to keep an eye on the eclipse. Simple, gets the job done, and no worries about UV radiation. The image is small, but the moon's "bite" is clearly visible.

If you're with a group that you trust, you can hold the box over your head to get a closer look...

EclipseViewer.jpg

Cheyenne to Glendo, Wyoming and back = 202 miles. Will need a 80% charge at least.
Supercharger stations in Cheyenne = 4
# People on this thread alone who say they are going = 3

Plus energy use in traffic and no ability to chase clear skies if cloudy in Glendo. Looks like Jarvis will have to stay home and we'll be taking the Subaru. Darn.
In Torrington, WY, campsites with electric hookups have been available at Goshen County Fairgrounds (307-532-2525). Don't know if that's still the case, but it might be worth a call. You'd sacrifice about 30 seconds of totality by being there instead of the centerline of totality, but it might be worth it for the easier location and greater amenities.

Also, note that Loveland, CO has ten Supercharger stalls whereas Cheyenne only has four. And it's only 135 miles from Loveland to Torrington. Drive another 55 miles north, and you can reach the Lusk, WY Supercharger site which will be in totality.

The main issue is that both Wyoming and Idaho may have some clouds on Eclipse Day. Central/eastern Oregon has only clear skies in the forecast.

My viewing area could be anywhere in Nebraska or Missouri, depending upon the weather. Has anyone seen web sites that are there to specifically forecast cloud cover along the path of totality?

www.ventusky.com/?p=38.7;-92.2;5&l=clouds&t=20170821/18&w=0AAivpv2A

beware TMC likes to redirect through a tracker, you may have to copy and paste the URL.

The time marker jumps in 3 hour increments. Just look at the one before the eclipse, the one closest to it and the one just after (2 or 3 time slots) and make an estimate to interpolate mentally.

If you hit the play button beware it just goes forward indefinitely, that isn't a loop, the date will progress. Be sure you are still looking at 2017/8/21 when you get done with the play session.

Best if you have two monitors side by side and can put up the totality map on one and the cloud forecast on the other.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: swaltner
I am driving up Saturday to Madras, OR (from Sacramento).

Klamath Falls SC, then Bend SC....I am hoping it's not too crazy. Going up I'm feeling pretty good about....but coming back after it's likely to be crazy.

My nav has quit showing stalls available at super chargers....is anyone else having that issue? I am hoping to have enough charge to skip Bend on the way back if possible...

Dan

Dan, the Bend super charger has I think eight stalls, I used it this last weekend twice. It is at a Fred Meyer store in the far back parking lot so you can buy any and all supplies you may need. Sun River south of Bend has two outdoor HPWC charging stations as well. There has to be some plug share sites as well. I never needed to check,

I am driving up Saturday to Madras, OR (from Sacramento).

Klamath Falls SC, then Bend SC....I am hoping it's not too crazy. Going up I'm feeling pretty good about....but coming back after it's likely to be crazy.

My nav has quit showing stalls available at super chargers....is anyone else having that issue? I am hoping to have enough charge to skip Bend on the way back if possible...

Dan
I can't see stalls available either. Bad timing for that to quit working. Wednesday I tried it and it wasn't working at first then it started showing availability. No such luck last night or this morning.