Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Total Solar Eclipse - Aug 21, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
Columbia River Gorge
Who's making plans? I've got a campsite reserved in Idaho (alongside a bunch of my cousins) that is right in the path of totality.

Anyone else have plans made yet? I'm looking forward to seeing the photos & hearing the stories.

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 1.07.47 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and Canuck
We may do a trip up to the top of a ski resort here; I've seen an invite being passed around, but haven't confirmed! Kinda don't want to jinx it and have it be cloudy by making special plans. ;) Where in Idaho will you be camping Bonnie?
We have several spots reserved at a small campground NE of Idaho Falls (almost dead center on the center line). It's going to be a party with cousins and siblings and my kid and his family ... I'm looking forward to the company and the event. :)

I'll probably be in Farragut on that day. Just looking at the timing for some locations around me

Local Circumstances for the 21 AUG 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at Farragut, TN:
Duration of Totality*: 1m 20s
Partial phase start: 1:04:26PM (EDT)
Totality Start*: 2:33:27PM (EDT)
Partial phase end: 4:02:28PM

Local Circumstances for the 21 AUG 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at Lenoir City, TN:
Duration of Totality*: 2m 2s
Partial phase start: 1:04:17PM (EDT)
Totality Start*: 2:33:02PM (EDT)
Partial phase end: 4:01:xx PM

Just made flight arrangements for our trip. Flying out August 20th, so your title gave me a momentary heart stoppage. From the link:

August 21, 2017

Eclipse Day!

No human action can disrupt the incessant dance of the cosmos, and the Moon's shadow will not wait on you if you're not ready. Like a mindless juggernaut, it plows its way through space toward a collision course with Earth. As predicted by the astronomers decades in advance, the shadow arrives with perfect accuracy, and touches down in the north Pacific Ocean at 16:48:33 UT*, at local sunrise. (At that spot, the Sun will actually rise while totally eclipsed. This is a sight few people - even veteran eclipse chasers - have seen, and from what we hear, it is quite uncanny.)

Just made flight arrangements for our trip. Flying out August 20th, so your title gave me a momentary heart stoppage. From the link:

August 21, 2017

Eclipse Day!

No human action can disrupt the incessant dance of the cosmos, and the Moon's shadow will not wait on you if you're not ready. Like a mindless juggernaut, it plows its way through space toward a collision course with Earth. As predicted by the astronomers decades in advance, the shadow arrives with perfect accuracy, and touches down in the north Pacific Ocean at 16:48:33 UT*, at local sunrise. (At that spot, the Sun will actually rise while totally eclipsed. This is a sight few people - even veteran eclipse chasers - have seen, and from what we hear, it is quite uncanny.)

Sorry! Was looking at my 'leave date' - will ask a moderator to correct :).

Who's making plans?

Part of a group that takes TSE's rather seriously. We started planning for this one right after the Mexican eclipse of July 11, 1991. (We were much younger then). The interim 26 years has seen our group scatter (and unfortunately lose a few), but most will be assembling on an 89 acre farm just NW of Linn, Missouri. (But always ready to scramble the evening before as weather dictates.) It will be a party that starts the previous Friday, and includes a Google Hangout to include those whose life circumstance wont allow to be present.

As an interesting aside, we have also already acquired a farm site in Oregon County, MO for the Great TSE of April 8, 2024 - just 7 years from now. This will be an even better eclipse than this years, with a totality period ~300% longer, albeit at a riskier time of the year weather-wise.

The last known TSE to hit Missouri was 148 years ago in 1869, now we will score two of them less than 7 years apart - Sweet....

If Elon has his way, this may be the last TSE in the US where one can gaze upon Mars and know that no human has stepped foot there. Mars will be visible very close to the sun in the August 21 event. Venus, Mercury, and Jupiter will all also be visible.

One has to wonder what battery ranges will be by 2024...

Last edited:
Reactions: bluefuego