Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totaled Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post! We received bad news today that our Model X was a total loss after a deer bumped into at about 35mph. Drove it home, no issues. Anyone else experienced a total loss with minor damage?

Attachments

• 20210719_220530.jpg
    20210719_220530.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 412
I have seen some other posts on the forum, mostly from people in CA, that had their cars totaled with what appeared to be relatively minor damage. They said their insurance company told them if the salvage auction value of the car + the repair cost exceeded the appraised value of the car prior to the accident, they would total the car. Unfortunately Teslas fetch top dollar at salvage auctions these days.

But I do have to say, from the photo you posted, that appears to be the most inconsequential damage I've seen anyone post yet and have their car declared a total loss.

I agree with @MY1stEV 's post. My guess for replacements: Front bumper, fender panel, & several trim pieces. There might also be body damage on the doors or the rear fender panel that is not pictured. All of the damage looks to be cosmetic only, but it is also possible that some of the pieces for the wheel assembly are damaged, and need to be replaced for safety. If it were my car, I would buy it back from the insurance company. Unfortunately, a salvage car loses supercharging rights, and Tesla Service will probably refuse to service the car (no matter what the issue).

If you have free supercharging, and do not want to lose that privilege, you might be able to sign a waver with the insurance company that absolves them from all responsibility for repairing the damage, and keep the car without it being totaled. Paying for the repairs out of pocket would be cheaper than buying back the car from the insurance company, and the car wouldn't have the salvage title.

Last edited:
This was my ‘21 MXP in April, it wasn’t totalled but it took 8 weeks to get it back. I’ve had 4 comebacks so far- 1@ Tesla + 3@ body shop.
To my eye it looks worse than your deer impact- the wheel was barely still hanging on. I found the whole affair beyond frustrating, the initial estimate was 2 weeks.
I have since learned the delays the body shop blamed on Tesla were their own fault and the people at Seattle SC were not responsible for them, actually they were very professional.

Attachments

• 88B947C0-A2CC-4F0C-BAFF-702060C461EF.jpeg
    88B947C0-A2CC-4F0C-BAFF-702060C461EF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 255
To the OP, all the picture shows me is replace the bumper cover, inner fender, and fender trim. Of course there will be more that doesn’t show, but if your suspension, steering, and half shaft don’t all need replacement that looks like a well under $10k repair. But I’m not an estimator.

A long time ago here in PA I had an accident in a Accord (low value car at the time) and the insurance wanted to total. But I knew engine was in good shape so I said no, I wanted to keep it. They then payed some value for the car, but I kept it and payed any difference in repair. Had it rebuilt and only real difference was that I paid some more for repairs over my deductible. I assume this is still an option, unless your state has some new/different rules. You also may be able to negotiate some more with the repair shops to help with cost on your own, since you would be self paying the repair.