Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totaled or fixable

Can this be fixed or totaled

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thoughts totaled or can it be save! Love the car!!

Attachments

• 71D7AE54-EDA8-456C-A62F-29C29DD400D4.jpeg
    71D7AE54-EDA8-456C-A62F-29C29DD400D4.jpeg
    879.6 KB · Views: 262
  • 380583F9-0E65-4490-B127-3B9E38A765A0.jpeg
    380583F9-0E65-4490-B127-3B9E38A765A0.jpeg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 142
  • C5E345D6-84AD-4725-916F-2ED323C283AE.jpeg
    C5E345D6-84AD-4725-916F-2ED323C283AE.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 154
  • CAEA5145-5A39-40E7-AC5C-8B54D2F21184.jpeg
    CAEA5145-5A39-40E7-AC5C-8B54D2F21184.jpeg
    879.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 51D49A41-DF8B-475F-AC45-8948EB851FB1.jpeg
    51D49A41-DF8B-475F-AC45-8948EB851FB1.jpeg
    953.8 KB · Views: 143
  • A6EDD4EE-4C9A-4F08-8236-97DC5211E3D1.jpeg
    A6EDD4EE-4C9A-4F08-8236-97DC5211E3D1.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 145
  • C387BCAF-989D-416B-82D6-8375EBEA9125.jpeg
    C387BCAF-989D-416B-82D6-8375EBEA9125.jpeg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 141
It likely will be fixed vice totalled by your insurance company. Two reasons:
1. The cost of totalling the car is a VERY large number for a Tesla.
2. As there is no engine there, you don't have all of the damage that you would have in an ICE car. In effect most of the front is a crumple one. In your case, the pictures make it difficult to tell if there is frame damage. You certainly have a number of body panels that require replacement, likely the louvers and front radiators, probably part of the cooling system, and stuff around the frunk, but I would be surprised if the damage rises to the level of a total. That said it depends on the estimate prepared by your shop and how your insurance company deals with it.

It likely will be fixed vice totalled by your insurance company. Two reasons:
1. The cost of totalling the car is a VERY large number for a Tesla.
2. As there is no engine there, you don't have all of the damage that you would have in an ICE car. In effect most of the front is a crumple one. In your case, the pictures make it difficult to tell if there is frame damage. You certainly have a number of body panels that require replacement, likely the louvers and front radiators, probably part of the cooling system, and stuff around the frunk, but I would be surprised if the damage rises to the level of a total. That said it depends on the estimate prepared by your shop and how your insurance company deals with it.
You must be new to Tesla and repair costs that come with it.

• Funny
Reactions: DavidB
You must be new to Tesla and repair costs that come with it.
Actually I own a 2017 which was rear-ended in a similar type accident in May of 2018. I documented the subsequent repairs (estimates, delays for parts, getting the insurance to cover replacing the PPF and Ceramic coat, getting a DV estimate and fighting with the insurer of the guy who hit me to pay a DV claim) extensively in these forums. I am not saying he won't get a total, but that from what is visible in the few photos he posted, not only is it not a slam dunk, similar damage on an ICE car of a similar price range would not be slam dunk to get the insurance company to total it...but what the heck do I know?

A few factors go into determining if a car is going to be totaled. It's not just the extent of damage/cost of repair but also things like the value of the car pre-accident. A 2016 MS with 120k miles and a 2021 MS with 12k miles could receive the exact same damage but because the 2021 model is worth a lot more, it could be deemed repairable while the 2016 may end up totaled.

Reactions: drklain
Actually I own a 2017 which was rear-ended in a similar type accident in May of 2018. I documented the subsequent repairs (estimates, delays for parts, getting the insurance to cover replacing the PPF and Ceramic coat, getting a DV estimate and fighting with the insurer of the guy who hit me to pay a DV claim) extensively in these forums. I am not saying he won't get a total, but that from what is visible in the few photos he posted, not only is it not a slam dunk, similar damage on an ICE car of a similar price range would not be slam dunk to get the insurance company to total it...but what the heck do I know?
I’m not sure why you think being rear ended is similar to a front end collision.

also not sure why you keep bringing up an ice car, I’m willing to bet a Toyota Camry with similar damage would be cheaper to fix.

I’m not sure why you think being rear ended is similar to a front end collision.

also not sure why you keep bringing up an ice car, I’m willing to bet a Toyota Camry with similar damage would be cheaper to fix.
Not sure how many cars you've actually repaired personally, but I've repaired many. The difference in repairing an ice car involved in a front end collision is that often you not only have radiator damage, but the engine itself was pushed back off it's mounts (or bending them and the frame) as part of the crumpling of the front of the car. Most cars these days are front-end drive meaning that the engine's backward movement was transmitted through the transmission to the front axle, causing more damage. With a Tesla, there is the cooling loop to the front radiator(s), but then you effectively have a crumple zone until you get to the front drive unit.

In the pictures the OP posted, the hood was pushed up and the front quarter panel was damaged and distorted. As I said in my post, it was not possible to tell whether or not there was significant frame damage or not, but it actually didn't look like that bad of a collision other than to body panels (acknowledging that the front radiator(s) and cooling loops would likely also be damaged and need replacement). It did not appear the damage extended to the drive unit/front axle. Hence my comment that, from the photos, this did not look like it was as bad of a front end collision as if somethgn similar happened in an ICE car. Part of the reason Teslas have such a high safety rating is the absence of that ICE motor in front...creating a much larger crumple zone to absorb impact energy.

The reason I bring up the rear impact I had was, because there is no engine in a Tesla, a rear or front impact is quite similar from not only a structural perspective, but also from an energy dissipation perspective.

With respect to your comment about a Camry, it almost certainly would be cheaper to fix -- the higher costs associated with bodywork on a Tesla are well known. But a Camry is also a much cheaper car and when an insurance company makes the decision to total or not to total, the decision is based on the cost to repair vs. the car's present value. It is literally a math formula for the insurance company. When the denominator is much smaller, the likelihood of a car being totaled goes up...but you knew that already, right?

Obviously you feel differently and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you haven't demonstrated/stated any sort of background or expertise that qualifies you to belittle my opinions or makes me inclined to change them based on what you have posted.

it will be totalled.
Can we ask what happened and did it have anything to do with a cell phone
Genuinely curious why you believe this to be the case. It appears that the damage is limited to front bumper/nosecone assembly, probably the radiator(s), the hood and the front right quarter panel. Tires seem to be aligned which would indicate the impact didn't reach the drive unit/front axle and that the frame is intact. From a crash perspective, while it looks pretty bad from a cosmetic standpoint, it doesn't appear particularly bad from a structural perspective. What are you seeing in the photos that I'm missing?

Genuinely curious why you believe this to be the case. It appears that the damage is limited to front bumper/nosecone assembly, probably the radiator(s), the hood and the front right quarter panel. Tires seem to be aligned which would indicate the impact didn't reach the drive unit/front axle and that the frame is intact. From a crash perspective, while it looks pretty bad from a cosmetic standpoint, it doesn't appear particularly bad from a structural perspective. What are you seeing in the photos that I'm missing?
yup you obviously know what you are talking about (pssst quarter panels are on the rear and fenders are on the front) just sayin. There is plenty of hidden damage with that type of hit. Take it from someone whos been in the crash parts business for 20+ years. I deal with insurance estimates daily.

Reactions: 2101Guy
This is a silly thread.

The many essential facts are absent, such as:

1. Is this a fully-equipped 2021 Dual Motor Performance, or a base, 2016 75 Rear Wheel Drive?

2. Mileage and overall condition of the car prior to impact?

3. Diminished Value claim, or not?

4. FSD or not?

5. Actual cost to repair is quite dependent upon the damage, much of which is not visible as the frunk is closed, and many which requires measurements of the unibody rails and other structural points . . . none of which we have here.

Speaking of closed, this thread should be as well--we're wasting everyone's time thus far.

Thx.

Reactions: drklain
Not sure how many cars you've actually repaired personally, but I've repaired many. The difference in repairing an ice car involved in a front end collision is that often you not only have radiator damage, but the engine itself was pushed back off it's mounts (or bending them and the frame) as part of the crumpling of the front of the car. Most cars these days are front-end drive meaning that the engine's backward movement was transmitted through the transmission to the front axle, causing more damage. With a Tesla, there is the cooling loop to the front radiator(s), but then you effectively have a crumple zone until you get to the front drive unit.

In the pictures the OP posted, the hood was pushed up and the front quarter panel was damaged and distorted. As I said in my post, it was not possible to tell whether or not there was significant frame damage or not, but it actually didn't look like that bad of a collision other than to body panels (acknowledging that the front radiator(s) and cooling loops would likely also be damaged and need replacement). It did not appear the damage extended to the drive unit/front axle. Hence my comment that, from the photos, this did not look like it was as bad of a front end collision as if somethgn similar happened in an ICE car. Part of the reason Teslas have such a high safety rating is the absence of that ICE motor in front...creating a much larger crumple zone to absorb impact energy.

The reason I bring up the rear impact I had was, because there is no engine in a Tesla, a rear or front impact is quite similar from not only a structural perspective, but also from an energy dissipation perspective.

With respect to your comment about a Camry, it almost certainly would be cheaper to fix -- the higher costs associated with bodywork on a Tesla are well known. But a Camry is also a much cheaper car and when an insurance company makes the decision to total or not to total, the decision is based on the cost to repair vs. the car's present value. It is literally a math formula for the insurance company. When the denominator is much smaller, the likelihood of a car being totaled goes up...but you knew that already, right?

Obviously you feel differently and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you haven't demonstrated/stated any sort of background or expertise that qualifies you to belittle my opinions or makes me inclined to change them based on what you have posted.
Except you said an ice car, you said an ice car would be more expensive to fix, then you say a Camry would certainly be cheaper to fix… I’m not trying to change your opinion, you’ve done a great job of that yourself.

your statement that an ice car would be more expensive to fix is BS. Search this forum and you’ll see the exorbitant cost to repair a model s.
Or don’t, I don’t care either way.

• Funny
Reactions: 1windy

Your response has a lot of words in it. I commend you. I get distracted watching sporting events.

Reactions: AMPd