Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totalled Car - Comparable value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is (most likely) totalled (thanks Son ). I loved my model 3 but repair cost is just so high, most likely its going to be totalled.

My Tesla 3 was purchased on Dec 2019 (2020 model) with full FSD - Standard plus capacity. We live in central part of NJ.

I want to get heads start with collecting comparable car values. Its very hard to find value for FULLY FSD vehicle. Can you let me know some suggestions to find my cars true value? and how to deal with insurance company

Thank you

My car is (most likely) totalled (thanks Son ). I loved my model 3 but repair cost is just so high, most likely its going to be totalled.

My Tesla 3 was purchased on Dec 2019 (2020 model) with full FSD - Standard plus capacity. We live in central part of NJ.

I want to get heads start with collecting comparable car values. Its very hard to find value for FULLY FSD vehicle. Can you let me know some suggestions to find my cars true value? and how to deal with insurance company

Thank you
Go to the Tesla website and find a comparable car in your part of the country. Mileage and location can both make a substantial difference. Color and wheels can make a difference as well, although generally a smaller difference.

Here's a link to 2020 Model 3s with Full Self Driving - New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

There are 9 of them with prices ranging from $37,000 to $42,100 right now. That should be more than enough quality comps to satisfy the insurance company.

Thank you Guys, I live in NJ. Insurance company wants comparable 3-5 cars in my area. on Tesla site I only found on in NY. I am not sure if they will even consider it or not.

The other response had two links but I couldn't find comparable on that website in my area as well.

If there are any other suggestion, please let me know.

Thank you Guys, I live in NJ. Insurance company wants comparable 3-5 cars in my area. on Tesla site I only found on in NY. I am not sure if they will even consider it or not.

The other response had two links but I couldn't find comparable on that website in my area as well.

I think you should fight the insurance company on the Tesla comps outside the area not being acceptable. Tesla will ship the car to you, so you can buy one from Tesla in a remote location as easily as one in your own area.

You could try autotempest.com, but I don't see a simple way to see only cars with full self driving. I think you'll have to look at each ad to determine that. Here's a link to a search there for 2020 Model 3s within 300 miles of New York City. Note that there are links at the bottom to matching cars on Carguru.com, autotrader.com, Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace.

I will keep this thread updated as I get any update from insurance company...... as it is very hard to understand the value of FSD in used car market. kbb and edmunds are sooo old... they don't even know what it even means

You could
I think you should fight the insurance company on the Tesla comps outside the area not being acceptable. Tesla will ship the car to you, so you can buy one from Tesla in a remote location as easily as one in your own area.

You could try autotempest.com, but I don't see a simple way to see only cars with full self driving. I think you'll have to look at each ad to determine that. Here's a link to a search there for 2020 Model 3s within 300 miles of New York City. Note that there are links at the bottom to matching cars on Carguru.com, autotrader.com, Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace.
You could use the keyword search. Just adding FSD to the search field should catch most of them.

You could

You could use the keyword search. Just adding FSD to the search field should catch most of them.

I am not sure if you have settled everything with insurance or not. Take a look at NJ laws to determine comparable car values, it is question 14 on this link Filing an Auto Damage Claim with Your Own Insurer (state.nj.us)

Ask your insurance company to give comparables they used to determine the Actual Cash Value of the car. Most likely in the list they will have a couple of cars close to you and then others far away, which in some cases will be a lower value. Collect all your comparables and check the price on NADAguides.com (Old Blue Book), a lot of insurance companies and states use this to negotiate ACV's. Good luck with your settlement

Ev-cpo.com also saves data on sold used teslas. It’s a great resource for this type of research.

All,

It seems really, that only Tesla itself actually says whether the car has FSD or not. I'm in Southern California so at least there will be more comparables.

that EV-cpo site had FSD as an option, but it did link only to used cars sold by Tesla.