Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Making lemonade out of lemons. Got hit today by a dude with no license and no insurance. Video here;

You can see that he appeared to decide to hit me. Not sure what the deal was, just very, very glad we were both OK. I went to urgent care after the car was towed for some X-rays, and am chilling at home with ice packs now. My first experience with airbags.

Here are the remains of my baby. Very glad I was in such a safe car. I was going about 55 I think when he hit me. Who knows how fast he was going. I had JUST put on my gray Arachnid wheels a month or so ago. Ah well.

20171221_135511s.jpg 20171221_135324s.jpg 20171221_135252s.jpg 20171221_131956s.jpg

Anyway: I chose a Blue Model 3 and got the 19" rims. Lemonade day. :).

Glad to hear you're OK. Way to make the best out of a horrible situation. I'm constantly impressed by how well the S cabin holds up in these wrecks. Makes me feel even better about my recent 75D purchase. Be well and enjoy the new ride!

Reactions: MagT
Drugs? Alcohol? Suicide?

I am thinking possible suicide. Or just a terrible time to text on his phone. He seemed coherent, but he made comments that a lot of things were going on in his life and he was a bit messed up.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I remember seeing him, swerving to try and miss and then BANG airbags everywhere. A few passerby were amazed we were both OK. He was probably lucky he was in a Mercedes, another very safe car.

Going to head to the tow yard tomorrow to delete my info on the car and gather any remaining belongings (the car was still powered up when they loaded it on the the tow truck). Will get to test out my Ameriprise coverage with this. I went ahead and placed the 3 order so that can proceed while the insurance works itself out. I can't imagine any resolution other than a total.

This is why I will never drive in the UK. I don't trust myself to remember which side of road to drive on.

You'd probably be surprised how quickly you adapt when the steering wheel is on the other side. It's more dangerous walking because we look the wrong way before crossing the road and that can be fatal. But I've never had a problem driving on the other side, except for all the roundabouts in Australia that took some extra thinking before entering and exiting.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was texting when he drifted over but it sure does look like he's suicidal.

Reactions: Out4aDuck and e-FTW
HOLY CRAP! Glad you're okay... My adrenaline is still flowing from watching that dashcam video, even though I knew how it was going to end. I am amazed at both your reaction in the moment and your perspective on the encounter afterward. Hope any recovery you need is speedy.

Reactions: Big Earl
Wait a minute--he was driving a Mercedes, with no license and no insurance? That's a little odd. Stolen?
I don't know. The cops did come and file a report and they didn't tell me it was a stolen vehicle. I think it was his dad's, as that was the first call he made. I suspect he wasn't supposed to be driving it.

Glad you’re ok.

Once you’re back to normal, I’d love to hear why you went with a 3 over another S.

Mostly price and size. The S was a very big car for me, so I was really looking forward to getting a P model 3 (my original plan). Thought a smaller car with crazy performance would be a LOT of fun. I was going to test drive one before ordering, but this sort of threw everything out of whack. I would probably have bought another used S if I had gone that route, so I just decided to take the plunge and buy the 3. I believe it will still be a very safe car, and I am looking forward to gaining TACC.

I'll buy the P model 3 once AP 4 is out. :)

Making lemonade out of lemons. Got hit today by a dude with no license and no insurance. Video here;

You can see that he appeared to decide to hit me. Not sure what the deal was, just very, very glad we were both OK. I went to urgent care after the car was towed for some X-rays, and am chilling at home with ice packs now. My first experience with airbags.

Here are the remains of my baby. Very glad I was in such a safe car. I was going about 55 I think when he hit me. Who knows how fast he was going. I had JUST put on my gray Arachnid wheels a month or so ago. Ah well.

View attachment 268054 View attachment 268055 View attachment 268056 View attachment 268057

Anyway: I chose a Blue Model 3 and got the 19" rims. Lemonade day. :).

Woah, that was awesome (the bad kind).. glad you are ok. Great reaction time!