Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totalled my S today....so I confirmed my Model 3 First Production order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your dashcam video and the info you provided should be grounds (in my opinion...which sadly means nothing with regard to the law) for charging the other driver with attempted murder. Who wants anyone who would do something like that to be walking the streets freely -- or at the very least ever operating a motor vehicle ever again?

I am extremely relieved to hear that you're OK. If that had been me -- especially if my wife and/or daughter had been in the car with me -- I'm not sure I'd have handled it quite as gracefully as you are.
What I don't get if why someone was just suicidal why they wouldn't just drive it into a pole. Why take out an innocent driver? I seriously think that the older I get, the less I understand this world.

This is why I will never drive in the UK. I don't trust myself to remember which side of the road to drive on.

< Off topic>
It's actually not that much of a problem. You'd be surprised how quickly your brain can adapt. I had a 2 week vacation in the USA (was still living in the UK) and on my journey back I had a moment when I thought the bus I was turning the wrong way.

You might occasionally get it wrong when you turn onto another road, but the oncoming traffic will remind you.
My father did that when we returned from living in Germany. The reminder was a truck.

For people traveling to a "wrong-side" country, also be careful as a pedestrian. You have an instinctive connection between travel direction and near/far lane and it will be wrong. On vacation in Portugal from the UK I was trying to cross a road that was fairly busy and nearly stepped into the path of a car coming from my left, because my instinct told me that it would be in the far lane and I could start crossing as it passed.

Lesson: intersections are the key problem, so just take particular care as you approach. Note that traffic circles should not be a problem for wrong way driving, because the layout directs you the right way.

<On topic>
Clearly that driver had a problem. It looks the other driver had come out of a curve, but, for some reason, they didn't complete it.

I hope the OP and other driver are both OK.

EDIT: OK, I read more. That other driver had multiple problems.

EDIT: OK, I think I found the section of road on street view. Coming the other way there's a fairly sharp turn (as seen on one of the photos), and there's a warning sign with an S and speed 35mph. I could see that could have gone wrong. Right place, right time, wrong other people.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and Ulmo
I sent the police the video via email, as I couldn’t download it until I got home. I don’t know what he told the police, as they kept us separate while taking our statements. They told me they were just going to ticket him for not having a license at the time.

I would be a bit concerned if it was determined to be intentional, as I think there are clauses in insurance policies excluding stuff like that. (Read a terrible case on r/insurance once where a pedestrian was intentionally hit by a car and they were denied any compensation by the driver’s insurance as intentional acts weren’t covered). Not sure how that would play out on my uninsured motorist coverage, which is what I will be using.

I was a pedestrian struck by a car following a verbal altercation. (Guy was a jerk, trying to start something.) I took the high ground and walked away from his taunts. He responded by jumping in his car and running me down with it. I was faced with the decision of pushing for criminal charges, which probably would have happened if I and my lawyer(s) had made a stink but doing so would have immediately absolved his insurance company from responsibility. I elected to sue instead, to help cover the grief that accompanied two surgeries and months of physical therapy. As the judge commented after one of our pre-trial hearings, that was totally the right call. They let far more violent criminals off with a slap on the wrist, he observed, especially when it's so easy for him to claim negligence in his criminal trial, and he would probably have gotten a suspended sentence and probation, at the worst, which would have done me very little good. So, the guy who hit you was negligent. Period. Don't do him and his insurance company the incredible favor of making claims that his actions were intentional.

Last edited:
Ok, I’ve been anti-dash cam for a while now since there doesn’t seem to be any model that will encrypt the video for my legal protection. However, this video has me shopping for one this morning.

I am so glad you are ok. As mentioned by many, your attitude is amazing. Thank you for sharing this story and your reaction. I hope your new Model 3 finds it’s way to you quickly.

I think it's safe to say if this was a Tesla on autopilot it would've been avoided. I think? But let's say you have full Autopilot but it's not switched on - will it still engage and veer to avoid this type of collision on its own? I hope so!

Making lemonade out of lemons. Got hit today by a dude with no license and no insurance. Video here;

You can see that he appeared to decide to hit me. Not sure what the deal was, just very, very glad we were both OK. I went to urgent care after the car was towed for some X-rays, and am chilling at home with ice packs now. My first experience with airbags.

Here are the remains of my baby. Very glad I was in such a safe car. I was going about 55 I think when he hit me. Who knows how fast he was going. I had JUST put on my gray Arachnid wheels a month or so ago. Ah well.

View attachment 268054 View attachment 268055 View attachment 268056 View attachment 268057

Anyway: I chose a Blue Model 3 and got the 19" rims. Lemonade day. :).

So, so glad you walked away, apparently unharmed!! Many people, in the moment, freeze, with a much more disastrous outcome than that - very nice to see this outcome!

With the new suite of sensors in new Tesla’s, would that crash be caught in some form without a dash cam? Would Tesla release that info if requested? Your dash cam video answers many questions typically seen in crashes... just wondering out loud, now that we know both of you essentially walked away from that crash.

Ok, I’ve been anti-dash cam for a while now since there doesn’t seem to be any model that will encrypt the video for my legal protection. However, this video has me shopping for one this morning.

I am so glad you are ok. As mentioned by many, your attitude is amazing. Thank you for sharing this story and your reaction. I hope your new Model 3 finds it’s way to you quickly.

Yeah, we hadn’t installed our other dash cam in my husbands car yet. That is very high on the priority list now.

Reactions: DOCAL and ModelX
Not sure how that would play out on my uninsured motorist coverage, which is what I will be using.
First, I am happy you are here to tell the tale. Just incredible! :eek: Rest easy because you are likely to feel the physical aftermath in the days to come. Eggnog with a little brandy and rum in it will do wonders! ;) Your new, red model 3 should also help ease the pain.

A few year ago, our car, a MBZ, was totaled by an uninsured, suspended license motorist while sitting out in front of our house at the curb (she was on drugs). The limits on our uninsured motorist coverage would only pay $3000. Our attorney contacted the owner of the car (the father of the miscreant) and had a "heart to heart" talk with him indicating pay up or lawsuit. The owner of the car made us whole immediately based on KBB value out of his pocket. You have several ways to pursue this, but best to contact your attorney first.
What I don't get if why someone was just suicidal why they wouldn't just drive it into a pole. Why take out an innocent driver? I seriously think that the older I get, the less I understand this world.
A suicidal person does not think logically, that's why they are suicidal.

I think it's safe to say if this was a Tesla on autopilot it would've been avoided. I think? But let's say you have full Autopilot but it's not switched on - will it still engage and veer to avoid this type of collision on its own? I hope so!

I believe autopilot is designed not to leave the travel lanes. Emergency braking would possibly kick in though (per the Phoenix? wrong way crash report).
Now if the other driver had autopilot...

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte and GreenT
I sent the police the video via email, as I couldn’t download it until I got home. I don’t know what he told the police, as they kept us separate while taking our statements. They told me they were just going to ticket him for not having a license at the time.

I would be a bit concerned if it was determined to be intentional, as I think there are clauses in insurance policies excluding stuff like that. (Read a terrible case on r/insurance once where a pedestrian was intentionally hit by a car and they were denied any compensation by the driver’s insurance as intentional acts weren’t covered). Not sure how that would play out on my uninsured motorist coverage, which is what I will be using.
Looks like a classic texting drift. The phone records would confirm it.
Glad you were in such a safe car.
Robin

Looks like a classic texting drift. The phone records would confirm it.
Glad you were in such a safe car.
Robin

As odd as it is, I hope this is correct. After sleeping on it, he could have been reaching down into the passenger seat or something too. He wasn’t real clear on what happened after the accident.

It’s much easier to think he just made a dumb mistake than to contemplate the idea that he was intentionally trying to hit me.