Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Totally my fault - Curb rash in autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xenius

Apr 24, 2015
Havertown, PA
Ok, so this morning on the way in to work I was drinking my wawa coffee (manual driving) and the lhe cap on my coffee popped off. Not wanting to spill mocha wake up coffee all over myself or more importantly, the car, I checked the dash (autopilot sensors saw the middle line and radar was pinging the side) and engaged autopilot briefly to pick up the coffee cup cap. In the roughly 5 seconds AP was engaged, it was seeking out the right side line I suppose and got too close to the curb. I pulled control away but not before hitting the curb and getting rash on my front right wheel and a bubble in the rear right tire.

Totally my fault.

Again, totally my fault, AP should not be used on non divided highways and surface roads.

That out of the way I'm a little surprised that autopilot literally had the car hit a curb when radar should have been aware of it. Ah well.

I intend to go over to the SC today to pick up a new wheel and tire, are they going to rake me over the coals cost wise? I want to eventually build a winter/summer wheel/tire set so I'm buying the wheel instead of just repairing the current one. I'll have the new one put on and I'll get the other repaired at a later date. If it weren't for a Drive Electric event I'm going to tonight I probably wouldn't go to the SC in Devon. I guess the main question is should I try and buy the tire/wheel somewhere else and have my local mechanic put them on? I know the SC isn't supposed to be a profit center for Tesla, but my 50 dollar coffee mug tells me they make money where they can :p

Sorry about your scrape. Done it a few times and looking at the wheel always makes me sad until it's fixed.
Coming from driving a smaller car, I had to have my wheel repair guy on speed dial the 1st 6 months....getting better now.
The wheel rash can cost between $75 and $100 usually. Michelin recommends changing a tire immediately that has any bubble. In reality if the bubble is tiny and you are going to change tires relatively soon, I would wait.
Just reread your post and it looks like it was more than wheel rash. They will gouge you a bit but less badly than other car companies....and you know it will be done correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenius
Sorry, I respectively disagree. I use AP 95% of my driving time everywhere, non-divided highways and surface roads included. How often and where one use AP has something to do with one's comfort level using AP, no with AP itself.

I use it everywhere I can as well. I was more saying "according to the rules and the agreement with AP....". Just trying to avoid the whole "you know that's not what they say you should use it for" type thing. Can't win them all I guess.

As for the solution I simply bought a new wheel and tire. New wheel for front right, new tire for back right. I have the other wheel as a spare that I may use for my winter set, I'll look around for a repair place or see about doing something myself.