TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Touch Screen is not bright enough

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Sparrow, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

It seems like my touch screen display, the dash odometer display and even my JVC stereo head unit are no longer very easy to read on a sunny day. The brightness on all three items seems lower than they use to be. On a sunny day I can hardly make out any of the information on the touch screen even without sunglasses on. This is on a 1.5 with the hardtop on, no direct sunlight hitting the display and the headlights off. The brightness control knob only works with the headlights on and in any event the maximum brightness with the headlights on, is no greater than with the headlights off.

Am I just getting older and the whole world is dimming around me or is there something wrong here?

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I would double check that your headlights are not on and maybe see if there is a difference between headlights off and on. If you do not see a difference the car thinks the lights are on.

3. MileHighMotoring

Also see if you've got new sunglasses that are polarized. Those are murder on display screens.

• Informative x 1
  4. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

The sunglasses just make it worse. I can not read the touch screen even without sunglasses on.

I was thinking the same thing dhrivnak. The car must be thinking the headlights are on when they are really off. The only problem with that theory is that when I do have the headlights on I can adjust the brightness up and downward although only up to the same level as the touch screen is with the headlights off. When the headlights are off the knob does not change the brightness at all. I would think if the car thought the lights were on when they were really off, the adjustment knob would still work.