Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch Screen is not bright enough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sparrow

S105/ Roadster 189
Dec 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
It seems like my touch screen display, the dash odometer display and even my JVC stereo head unit are no longer very easy to read on a sunny day. The brightness on all three items seems lower than they use to be. On a sunny day I can hardly make out any of the information on the touch screen even without sunglasses on. This is on a 1.5 with the hardtop on, no direct sunlight hitting the display and the headlights off. The brightness control knob only works with the headlights on and in any event the maximum brightness with the headlights on, is no greater than with the headlights off.

Am I just getting older and the whole world is dimming around me or is there something wrong here?

The sunglasses just make it worse. I can not read the touch screen even without sunglasses on.

I was thinking the same thing dhrivnak. The car must be thinking the headlights are on when they are really off. The only problem with that theory is that when I do have the headlights on I can adjust the brightness up and downward although only up to the same level as the touch screen is with the headlights off. When the headlights are off the knob does not change the brightness at all. I would think if the car thought the lights were on when they were really off, the adjustment knob would still work.