Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch Screen Not responsive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we just picked up our Y. I am having issues with the touch screen being unresponsive to touch. I put in a service request and wanted to make sure it was an issue.

So I can touch the car icon on the bottom left multiple times and nothing happens or I will be in navigation and I cant select anything I can't swipe it closed or type then after 15 20 seconds it will work fine and i can type etc. All this while the car is parked. Here is a quick video of it happening then working

I did the 2 scroll wheel reboot as well and it is still an issue.

Was the issue fix? What did they do?

I'm having a similar issue. Only when driving. I'm on 2022.28.2. The first technicien tested the wiring harness. It was OK. He told me that it was my screen protector. I removed it and still does it. The second technicien tells me its a firmware issue dating back from 2022.20 and that 2022.36 would fix it...2022.36 is not out yet, so I'm waiting on that before reaching out a third time.

I had the car for about two months and it been doing it since the beginning. I rebooted the screen and powered down multiple times and the issue still persist.

Three clips of this, all within 15 minutes:

Reactions: Zalick
I have the same issue with the screen controls intermittently freezing. No screen protector and have done several 2 button resets but no fix. I can still use voice controls to make some changes but what a pain. I brought it up to the SA they mentioned to wait for update to see if it fixes it. I miss my physical buttons.....FWIW, I'm on software v11(2022.23.101.2)

Last edited:
I just traded my one year old M3LR that had the latest software and it had begun to display this behavior. My new MYP with “shipping/delivery software” (2022.23.101.2) which should be far older than what my M3 had also does this unresponsive screen trick.

Troubling, and confusing.

Mine does it from time to time as well.. The most was a minute long.. frustrating when I have pin to drive setup.. I have to go into the app and unlock the car to drive. Its just sooo random.. Just updated to 2022.36.2. Lets see if that helps any.. All other updates have not

My screen became unresponsive with 2022.36.2. Every time the car sleeps the touch screen is unresponsive and requires a scroll wheel reset to fix. The multiple taps and holding one area doesn’t make a difference. Also the full shutdown didn’t fix it either. I have a service appointment scheduled for next week.

Reactions: bfayer62
My screen became unresponsive with 2022.36.2. Every time the car sleeps the touch screen is unresponsive and requires a scroll wheel reset to fix. The multiple taps and holding one area doesn’t make a difference. Also the full shutdown didn’t fix it either. I have a service appointment scheduled for next week.
You didn’t have the problem before 2022.36?
I think your problem is not the same as us ,we problem is the screen be unresponsive randomly.the server say 2022.36 will fix my issue. but the update is so far away from me, i’m in china.

I am having the same issue as Kairide. Screen is locked up when the car wakes up, works after reboot, until it goes to sleep again, reboot again and it's normal.

It started a few weeks ago when I was updated to 2022.36.2 before then the touch screen worked perfect. I scheduled a service appointment and was told it's a known bug and will be fixed in the next update.

Last week I was updated to 2022.40.1, and still have the same problem.

I scheduled a new appointment, and they will be here tomorrow morning, with a new screen. Hopefully that will fix it.

I am having the same issue as Kairide. Screen is locked up when the car wakes up, works after reboot, until it goes to sleep again, reboot again and it's normal.

It started a few weeks ago when I was updated to 2022.36.2 before then the touch screen worked perfect. I scheduled a service appointment and was told it's a known bug and will be fixed in the next update.

Last week I was updated to 2022.40.1, and still have the same problem.

I scheduled a new appointment, and they will be here tomorrow morning, with a new screen. Hopefully that will fix it.
Good to know 2022.40.1 didn’t fix it. At first they told me it’s a known software bug and to try the long press/multiple taps fix. When I let them know that didn’t work they accepted the service appt. They are making me bring it in, vs a mobile appt., so they may know something needs to be replaced.

Let us know if the new screen fixes the issue.

Reactions: Bob2C and bfayer62