TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Touch Screen Question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by scottflys, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. scottflys

scottflys Member

Just got my MS delivered this am in the Texas Snow and have a quick question, which I'm sure won't be the last one.
    So the Touch Screen has the top row of Icons. Driving with say the Map screen on the top and the Radio on the bottom the Map screen auto fills over the Icons on the top row after a few seconds. If you tap or double tap, can't remember which, the screen pulls down to show the icons, but then after a few seconds hides the icons again when the Map gets bigger.
    Is this a setting or something it does on its own?
    Thanks

2. hillestadk

hillestadk Member

Does it on it's own...I think it came with software update 8.0

3. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

Yep, just don't put the map on top. I figured that out real quick. I also figured out the NAV routing isn't very good. Waze is way better.

4. somnambule

somnambule Member

Any touch (single or double) brings back the icons.

Do you want to keep them visible at all times? At first, I thought I would find it annoying to not have the icons always available (especially as I was used to that in 7.x) but I now realize that I must not have needed them much anyway as I haven't found it to be a problem. Depends on your individual usage pattern, of course, and making this a setting would be good.

5. scottflys

scottflys Member

So having the Map on top hides them?

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I know many others feel differently but it's not a problem for me as I don't touch the screen while driving very often anyway. For me it's largely set and forget.

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

...this is a 'feature' of v.8.x firmware, and I hate it. My wife and I drive with the nav up and the rear camera down all of the time. Having to tap to get to the control bar, wait for it to drop down, and then aim for the proper spot on the touchscreen is dangerous. I really do not need the extra map area at the top. And, no, please do not tell me to rearrange the touchscreen to make things better. I have complained about this on many levels--we will see if this ever gets 'improved' with a user selectable version.

• Like x 1
  8. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

yes