Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch Screen Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my MS delivered this am in the Texas Snow and have a quick question, which I'm sure won't be the last one.
So the Touch Screen has the top row of Icons. Driving with say the Map screen on the top and the Radio on the bottom the Map screen auto fills over the Icons on the top row after a few seconds. If you tap or double tap, can't remember which, the screen pulls down to show the icons, but then after a few seconds hides the icons again when the Map gets bigger.
Is this a setting or something it does on its own?
Thanks

Any touch (single or double) brings back the icons.

Do you want to keep them visible at all times? At first, I thought I would find it annoying to not have the icons always available (especially as I was used to that in 7.x) but I now realize that I must not have needed them much anyway as I haven't found it to be a problem. Depends on your individual usage pattern, of course, and making this a setting would be good.

Any touch (single or double) brings back the icons.

Do you want to keep them visible at all times? At first, I thought I would find it annoying to not have the icons always available (especially as I was used to that in 7.x) but I now realize that I must not have needed them much anyway as I haven't found it to be a problem. Depends on your individual usage pattern, of course, and making this a setting would be good.

I know many others feel differently but it's not a problem for me as I don't touch the screen while driving very often anyway. For me it's largely set and forget.

...this is a 'feature' of v.8.x firmware, and I hate it. My wife and I drive with the nav up and the rear camera down all of the time. Having to tap to get to the control bar, wait for it to drop down, and then aim for the proper spot on the touchscreen is dangerous. I really do not need the extra map area at the top. And, no, please do not tell me to rearrange the touchscreen to make things better. I have complained about this on many levels--we will see if this ever gets 'improved' with a user selectable version.

Reactions: Andyw2100