Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, is this normal or should I be looking for a problem as to why they are running? I would assume the coolant pump running would be normal if the battery is being charged, but new to this. I really don't hear anything running?

@CAR3NUT,

@rudholm,

Well, based on countless passed experiences, when I enter the garage to monitor the Tesla Roadster, I often may hear the Roadster ‘bubbling’. Positive connotation.

Best efforts,

- P.

The screen stays on when the charge port is open or the car is running. Close the charging port and the screen will shutoff.

The coolant pump works differently. It runs whenever the car is on or charging. After that it depends on some other formula. From my experience the pump runs almost constantly when the temperatures are hot. For me that means it runs almost all the time from June thru August. When it is cooler, the pump will shutoff about 10 minutes after driving, charging, opening a car door or the charge port.

Maybe in Tuscon it might still be hot enough for the pump to still run constantly, but here in Atlanta it certainly is cool enough that it shuts down on its own.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
The coolant pump runs when the battery is charging, when it's hot, or when it's charged above a certain level (i.e., range charged). Here in Seattle, hot doesn't happen too much, so I usually don't notice it running unless the car is charging or range charged.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Yesterday I took delivery of my 2010 Twilight Blue, vin 673.
Have a question: When the car is done charging per the touch screen it always stays on. This morning when I went out it was still on. Is normal?

Welcome to the world of the Roadster. I’m just ahead of you with #613. I’ve found my touch screen stays on all the time if it’s plugged in. My questions is, does it hurt the screen to stay on?

Correct me if I'm misinformed, but don't you have to stay plugged in for the battery to balance?
No the car will balance when the pack is above 83% charge level and cells are out of balance. Balancing is more certain at higher charge levels so it is good to occasionally range charge. Plugging in is not required, but the reality is few people charge up, unplug and not drive. So, for the vast majority of situations, one balances when plugged in.

Reactions: AtAge19