Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch-Up Paint Alone or Add Clearcoat???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like a dumba$$, I decided to open the tailgate of the MS in a parking garage to show a friend the storage capacity of the thing. Sadly, the edge of the tailgate collided with a rusty fire system pipe above and chipped (but not to bare metal) the edge. I am debating between a series of paint chip fills with a follow-up clean (using Dr. ColorChip blending solution and cloths) or a few paint chip fills and topping it with some clear coat fills.

How might you all attack this?

Is there a specific brand of touch-up paint (and clearcoat?) that you have had good luck with and might recommend? Since I already have the Dr. ColorChip system in place, I just need to focus on the paint and potentially clearcoat to follow.

Thanks in advance!

Like a dumba$$, I decided to open the tailgate of the MS in a parking garage to show a friend the storage capacity of the thing. Sadly, the edge of the tailgate collided with a rusty fire system pipe above and chipped (but not to bare metal) the edge. I am debating between a series of paint chip fills with a follow-up clean (using Dr. ColorChip blending solution and cloths) or a few paint chip fills and topping it with some clear coat fills.

How might you all attack this?

Is there a specific brand of touch-up paint (and clearcoat?) that you have had good luck with and might recommend? Since I already have the Dr. ColorChip system in place, I just need to focus on the paint and potentially clearcoat to follow.

Thanks in advance!

Hire a professional to do it for you. This is not rocket science, but EXPERIENCE is what counts here. There are usually mobile scratch repair guys that are good and fixing minor stuff like this for a very reasonable cost.