Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch-up Paint Availability Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skipdd

Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2015
Silver Spring, MD
I have a nice (not) new scratch about 2 inches long (anonymous gift) on the right rear quarter panel and called the SC today to see if they had touch-up paint available. I have Midnight Silver. SC does not have it and unless I'm reading the Tesla accessories site incorrectly, it's not available there either. So, here is the thing - I've had the car just over a year and I checked shortly after I bought the car as well, and the situation was the same then. Is it really the case that Tesla has not had this color available for a year? I asked the SC today and it sounded like they have never had it. I did a quick search on the forum and didn't see this answered anywhere, so I thought I'd ask.

Of course I can ask the body shop, but I know that's going to be expensive..

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
Modelx007 - thanks for confirming I'm not crazy. Zambono and JPP - thanks for the information and links. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

And Snerruc - I'm puzzled as to why you would dislike the post. The point of the forum is to share info for the benefit of all. What's to dislike about asking for help with a problem? Now when someone else searches for this topic, they will find an answer. Actually two..

Reactions: Sm4llz
I have Deep Blue Metallic (paint code PPSB) and heard the same story from the local service centre after delivery and then again last time I asked a few months ago - they said they've never had the touchup paint in this colour, and it's not available for order on the website. I just checked the website again and I now notice it specifically mentions the deep blue, obsidian black, titanium and midnight silver are all unavailble. Strange.

The SC referred me to a local body shop who would be able to match it, and supposedly even provide a small dab for free - I only have the very smallest of nicks on the bottom edge of the door, so I haven't had a chance to follow up on that offer

I used Dr. ColorChip on my "new" blue S. It worked great. A little pricey though.

I mean you could still where the chips are, but the underlying color is no longer white/gray, it's not the color of the car, so the scratches/chips don't stand out as much.

Forget Tesla -- you don't need them for touchup paint. I recommend trying PaintScratch. Not only do they provide the standard touchup paint in a small bottle (with a small bottle of clearcoat as well) but also sell touch-up paint pens as well as large spray cans to match the color and clear coat to protect it. All you need to do is to provide the paint code with the items you want to order.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skipdd and mikevbf
Still waiting for the Tesla Store to stock Midnight Silver Metallic (PMNG). Most sites that advertise OEM color matching do not have Teslas, and those that do, do not seem to have the "newer" paint colors.

paint codes.jpg

Still waiting for the Tesla Store to stock Midnight Silver Metallic (PMNG). Most sites that advertise OEM color matching do not have Teslas, and those that do, do not seem to have the "newer" paint colors.

View attachment 220033
Dr. Colorchip. It aint cheap, but you can request any color from them.

I don't think they had the new blue in their pulldown list, but I requested it, and they send it to me, and it matched perfectly.

Or you can use artsci's link (Automotive Touch Up Paint from PaintScratch - Order Pro Grade Paint - PaintScratch.com), and they have PMNG.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaz
I'm amazed at this thread's longevity and no solution from the ace service division at Tesla. Some jerk laid a nice 4" scratch on my Midnight Silver Metallic S right down to the aluminum. It seems pointless to even pursue a Tesla SC option to fix it. My local SC is still just getting back on its feet after Harvey, so I'm thinking it might be time to get a quote from the body shop for a claim on my comprehensive.

I've also got a couple of minor rock chips on the front fascia that could use some TLC. The Dr. Colorchip PMNG kit might be a viable alternative since the scratch is below the door sill and not directly in the field of view, I'm hesitant to put it on the hood though. Lesson learned, after restoring the damage, next step is a wrap. The non-VOC paint they have to use because of CARB seems to be about as durable as gossamer.

DO NOT get me started on this one!
I've had my car for 2 1/2 years and they still do not offer Midnight Metallic touch up paint.
WTF Tesla? This is a basic and simple concept. Chip----paint----third party supplier. Confirm it's a match and GET 'ER DONE.
And thanks to Dr. Colorchip.

Oy.
I'm amazed at this thread's longevity and no solution from the ace service division at Tesla. Some jerk laid a nice 4" scratch on my Midnight Silver Metallic S right down to the aluminum. It seems pointless to even pursue a Tesla SC option to fix it. My local SC is still just getting back on its feet after Harvey, so I'm thinking it might be time to get a quote from the body shop for a claim on my comprehensive.
I've also got a couple of minor rock chips on the front fascia that could use some TLC. The Dr. Colorchip PMNG kit might be a viable alternative since the scratch is below the door sill and not directly in the field of view, I'm hesitant to put it on the hood though. Lesson learned, after restoring the damage, next step is a wrap. The non-VOC paint they have to use because of CARB seems to be about as durable as gossamer.

The Tesla Grey wheel touch up paint is a good match for Midnight Silver :cool: Model S Touch-Up Paint

Reactions: George Jetson