TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Touch-up Paint - closest matches?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by FTLRKT, Oct 27, 2012.

1. FTLRKT

FTLRKT Member

For the four currently available colors - Black, Pearl White, Sig Red, and Silver - what does everyone think is the closest possible match to other manufacturers' paint colors?

My motivation here is to find a "close and acceptable" touch-up paint that is also "widely available" if needed.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Well, if you have silver, the aluminium underneath is pretty close, so you won't really need to do anything until the hood and front fenders require a complete repainting (no rusting problem with aluminium). With luck that won't occur for 15+ years.

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I think auto manufacturers are required to put the color code on one of the various labels attached to the car. With the code you can match touch up paint very closely.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

At least with Toyota, and I assume other carmakers, the body shop will put in the VIN and get the paint code. Doesn't have to be a body shop associated with the dealer either.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I've ordered touch-up paint from PaintScratch with great success. Touch Up Paint from PaintScratch.com.

Plus they variety of offerings is great: paint pens, brush cap bottles, and spray cans. Problem is they don't list Tesla yet.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I used there form to ask for more info. I'll try to dig up this thread to reply if a useful e-mail reply comes back.