Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint for aero wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to see I'm not the only one to curb rash those Aero wheels.

1st time - a couple weeks after getting the car. Repaired locally in SF Bay Area by Duster C for $125 (he's on yelp). He came out to my house, sanded it down, and repainted (he had a generator and spray painting rig). Look like new.

2nd time today - just got my bumper cover replaced by Tesla's Body Repair Center Shop in San Jose, pulled over to do a second look at the job, and promptly brushed up against a curb. Ugh.

BTW, my experience with Tesla's body shop was pretty good. Someone hit and punctured my rear bumper cover last Friday in a parking lot (no note, of course). I sent pictures to State Farm on Saturday, they approved it with estimate by Monday AM, I called Tesla on Monday and they scheduled me for Thursday 11 AM. They had the bumper cover prepped and painted when I arrived, and had me out the door by 3:00, car washed and detailed. So less than 1 week to get it all done. I ended up bringing work and some food. The waiting area is similar to Service Centers - clean, plenty of seating and desks, and fast enough wifi. Friendly staff. Bottled water and coffee only. I realize it's a pretty simple job but I was thinking they'd take at least a week to get the part.

Total for repair/replace was $1300.

Also, if you do decide to contact Tesla's body shop in San Jose for work, try calling instead of emailing. I think they check their emails but they never responded to my questions. While I was there it seemed like they were getting a constant stream of calls. If you get voicemail, hang up and redial until you get through.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
That color is way off. Or I got a bad pen. It’s way darker than the rim.

Attachments

• 62A84F13-9946-40C6-B693-1C85B309235A.jpeg
    62A84F13-9946-40C6-B693-1C85B309235A.jpeg
    510.2 KB · Views: 472
Reactions: Massive Attack
My friend is an auto painter, and though there are no paint codes for wheels, he found one in their paint computer system. While at work, he mixed up the formula for me, which he said involved many different components, and the colour is a far closer match than the duplicolor pen. Note that the photo below is blown up. From a distance, it is completely invisible.

36F9C31B-AA95-418A-90EC-3CBBA5BCC8BC.jpg

Wheelbands, folks...protect the wheel, cover the existing rash, easily replaced when you do it again - the accent strip just snaps in...quick to install...the kit includes enough for a couple of repairs...lots of colors...
Wheelbands – Durable Alloy Wheel Pinstriping and Curb Rash Protection

My wife came home on the verge of tears today; Sounds like a repeat of the same stories I've seen in this thread (making a turn when some moron cuts into your lane and you cut too close to the curb). We've took delivery 8 days ago.

After I talked her off the ledge (it took me several tries to even SPOT the damage!) I whipped out Google and came across this thread.

As much as I like touch-ups (done well it's MORE than good enough for minor damage) the idea of the blue wheel bands with my blue model 3 struck me as slightly more proactive, especially living in urban areas with lots of parallel parking (and more than enough stupid drivers). Would never have considered it, mostly because I didn't know they existed; got an account just to thank y'all.

Just ordered, will update when I've gotten them installed!

IMG_8734.JPG IMG_8735.JPG IMG_8736.JPG

My wife came home on the verge of tears today; Sounds like a repeat of the same stories I've seen in this thread (making a turn when some moron cuts into your lane and you cut too close to the curb). We've took delivery 8 days ago.

After I talked her off the ledge (it took me several tries to even SPOT the damage!) I whipped out Google and came across this thread.

As much as I like touch-ups (done well it's MORE than good enough for minor damage) the idea of the blue wheel bands with my blue model 3 struck me as slightly more proactive, especially living in urban areas with lots of parallel parking (and more than enough stupid drivers). Would never have considered it, mostly because I didn't know they existed; got an account just to thank y'all.

Just ordered, will update when I've gotten them installed!

View attachment 416777 View attachment 416778 View attachment 416779

If it bothers her that much, just pay to have it fixed professionally.

Reactions: RBowen
For people with the 18" aero wheels that didn't match with AFM0360 I'm surprised. I had great results. To my eye this was a perfect match: Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE66OK8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

First pick is after sanding out the scratches and second pic is after applying the linked paint 3 coats and 2 clearc (all in one pen). This is from a March 2019 model 3.
IMG_20190419_085306.jpg

IMG_20190423_175145.jpg

For people with the 18" aero wheels that didn't match with AFM0360 I'm surprised. I had great results. To my eye this was a perfect match: Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE66OK8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

First pick is after sanding out the scratches and second pic is after applying the linked paint 3 coats and 2 clearc (all in one pen). This is from a March 2019 model 3.
View attachment 429406
View attachment 429407

Maybe mine didn’t match because I used the paint pen. Maybe the spray paint version can blend in better.

Sorry to revive an old thread but thanks to all the great advice here I'd thought I'd share my 2 hour job as per your paint suggestions.

Dupli Colour Dark CX Grey, 3 layers of paint, 2ish layers of clear coat.

My advice to myself if I had to do it again would be to do a fine polishing step with 2000 grit sandpaper before applying clear coat, so that it doesn't look as... blobby.

992C71C9-9F93-4134-B47A-1B8297D8E700.jpeg
F21A58A0-0631-499B-BE40-31ABFA496B83.jpeg