Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint for white 2020 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been covered.
As we know, the paint finish on Tesla’s is pretty average (being kind!)
I have recently noticed whilst washing the car that I have quite a few stone chips on my white 2020 M3P.
Can anyone recommend a decent touch up paint ?
TIA :)

For tiny spots I use this from Ebay TESLA WHITE WATER PPSW PAINT 30ML TOUCH UP KIT *BASE & PEARL* REPAIR PAINT BRUSH | eBay

This is a two-part kit, the base white is a little too bright & the pearlescent coat gives a noticeable sheen but I've found that by mixing the two I can arrive at something that is very close to the original colour & only apparent if looking carefully for it.

After the paint has dried for a while I draw a soft tissue dipped in isopropanol alcohol gently across the surface & after a few passes this blends the blob down to the surface depth of the original paint. It's tricky but with patience the results are good.

My car hasn't needed to cover more than small chips (yet!) but if that was needed then I believe Chipex is the closest. Maybe someone else has experience with this.

(I had previously tried the Paint2 Fix PPSW kit but the white is very yellow, almost green/grey & not a good match at all so I can't recommend)

For tiny spots I use this from Ebay TESLA WHITE WATER PPSW PAINT 30ML TOUCH UP KIT *BASE & PEARL* REPAIR PAINT BRUSH | eBay

This is a two-part kit, the base white is a little too bright & the pearlescent coat gives a noticeable sheen but I've found that by mixing the two I can arrive at something that is very close to the original colour & only apparent if looking carefully for it.

After the paint has dried for a while I draw a soft tissue dipped in isopropanol alcohol gently across the surface & after a few passes this blends the blob down to the surface depth of the original paint. It's tricky but with patience the results are good.

My car hasn't needed to cover more than small chips (yet!) but if that was needed then I believe Chipex is the closest. Maybe someone else has experience with this.

(I had previously tried the Paint2 Fix PPSW kit but the white is very yellow, almost green/grey & not a good match at all so I can't recommend)
Thank you for your comprehensive reply, much appreciated.

I used this ChipEx kit in my first week of ownership after a knock with the power wash lance.

Chipex | Premium Touch-Up... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DYGLDQ7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Honestly it’s done an amazing job, it included the paint, shiny top layer and polish to complete it all. Very straight forward, and had everything included (brushes to a foam polishing block)!

I bought one off ebay and it was terrible. It was a single chipstick one. I wanted to go with real paint rather than the Chipex overpriced watered solution. I may try the dual kit from ebay that’s mentioned above.

Surprisingly, the best colour match for Tesla White I've found (following a tip from another forum) is Tippex - or any other correction fluid.

I scraped the trunk edge to the bare metal opening it while parked too near a wall (unlike my previous BMW, the power trunk does NOT stop opening if it hits an obstruction). Googled for paint & found lots of posts saying nothing was a good match, then a couple suggesting Tippex.
Had some at the back of a drawer, so tried it, and it worked so well that I just haven't bothered getting any actual paint.
2 months later, through wintry, wet UK weather, it still looks fine!

Finally found what I think is a really good match for my pearl white Model 3.

Rapid Paints PPSW

They actually contacted me and told me there were three paints in the kit so I got three large spay cans for the same price. This first is a white (PPSW) base coat, the second is the same colour but seems to add a bit of sparkle to the finish and the final coat is the lacquer. I haven't used it in anger yet but I spayed a piece of metal and the colour match IMHO is really good. Much better than the ChipEx product which I find is far too 'white'.