Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch Up Paint or Paint Shop Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Another vehicle bumped me from behind leaving a three inch scratch. See pictures.

Any thoughts on whether this scratch can be repaired by a Paint Repair Kit? Or should I go to Tesla Service Center or a Paint Shop instead? If Paint Repair Kit, should I get Tesla's Paint Repair Kit or an after market Paint Repair Kit?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

c431165c908bf81d26f52d33a29f27b728b52cbd-1.jpeg
69a337ccb7240429fc10ff6dc7f39d5f72d0e404-1.jpeg

I was waiting for some of the many people who know more about this than I do, but as they appear to be busy I will give you my uninformed opinion based on touching up my own M3: I think you really have to decide your own personal style. Does the fix have to be pristine, as in a car enthusiast would not notice anything was touched up, or does the car simply need to look good enough so a regular joe wouldn’t notice it was touched up. I went the “regular joe” route and bought the red touchup paint kit from Tesla. A couple of small scratches on the driver’s door were covered with a couple of light brushstrokes. Another ding on the fender above the passenger side front wheel was totally chipped off by the service center when they re-aligned my frunk and fender panels. I kind of had to brush over it and let it dry 10 or 20 times before it looked “regular joe” level to me…

I’ve had good results with the Tesla touch-up kit repairing small stone chips. They are still noticeable if you know where to look, but the main function of touch-up paint is protecting the underlying metal from corrosion, not restoring a factory finish.

If you’re looking for a “perfect” repair, as the poster above noted, you’re best off having a body shop make the repair.