Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint or take to shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife showed me a paint scratch on her hood right at where it ends at the windshield. It looks like she scraped it when scraping snow off the windshield this Winter, as there is a little scratch on the wiper arm as well. It looks like it is down to the metal. Trying to decide if this can be repaired with just touch up paint. The car color is MSM, if that matters. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_7997.jpg
    IMG_7997.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 222
You can easily touch up the paint on the hood. I have had good results with the touch up paint kit from TouchUpDirect.com (Just so you are aware, the hood is aluminum so it won't rust.) WIth TouchUpDirect you can order just the kit that includes matching base coat (color), mid coat (metallic flakes) and the top coat (clear finish) You probably won't need the optional primer for the hood repair.

I am not familiar with matching the paint on the wiper arms but it is also probably an alloy and will not rust so feel free to take your time in finding the right paint to match the wiper arm. (Then again you can also use a black Sharpie pen and no one will ever notice.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Puma2020 and mazers
@mazers You should check to see if the wiper arm is hitting the hood. I too have a Model Y delivered in June 2020 and the wiper arm is hitting the hood when the wipers are on with paint missing on the hood and the wiper arm similar to your picture. The SC determined the hood is warped and needs to be replaced. This seems to be an issue with MYs delivered around this time last year.

Need to have someone sit in the driver's seat with the door closed and the wipers on while you take a look from the outside. You can spray some water on the windshield while the other person varies the speed of the wipers. Mine is more pronounced on the higher speeds and depending how bad it is you can hear the wiper arm hitting the hood from inside the vehicle.

I also have MSM and have a tiny scratch down to the metal on my rear hatch from hitting the garage. I've taken it to at least 5 different body shops/detailers who all have said the entire hatch needs to be repainted and touch up paint will look like a 3rd grader did it. Estimated between $700-2400. Please keep us updated if you used touch up paint. I'm tempted to at least give it a try.

For Y owners who havent set hatch height limits (or even for those who have), you might find interest in my post in this thread

That’s a pretty big area of missing paint... Because of where that is, you could fix it with touch up paint and I doubt it would be noticeable to most people. This could be especially worthwhile if you anticipate that further scratches are likely in the future.

On the other hand a body shop can do a better job but then they’d have to repaint the whole hood, and blend onto any adjacent panels. If theres other damage on the hood that also would be fixed this could be worth it. Otherwise you’re be dealing with multiple panels being repainted for a scrape that’s almost under the hood.