Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint repair + lesson to be learnt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SomeGuyWithaY

MYLR Red/Black/19
May 4, 2022
London
6 weeks into ownership and I've scratched it. The lesson for everyone is:
  1. Don't set "open boot" up as a shortcut button in the app.
  2. If you do, don't put it right above the "open charge port" button.
  3. Make sure you park far enough away from wall/garage door for the boot to open freely.
Kicking myself as I parked unusually close to my garage door, but I'm also frustrated by the tech.

Surely the USS's could have told the car how far away from an object the door is, plus, if cameras are really going to overtake USS's, then surely as the boot opens it could be checking for obstacles.

For the solution, searched for PPMR (thats the paint code from the passenger side chassis stamp) and ordered a Colour N Drive kit from them directly (£5 cheaper than amazon). Let's see what happens...

TBH, I'm glad it's happened as it's popped the bubble of being oh so precious about it!

My young daughter opened the door of my MY into the garage wall last week. She's only 3 so I can't blame her, but was a bit annoyed at the wife (for leaving the kid with an unsupervised car door!) and myself, as I'd stuck carpet up on the other side which is closer to the car when parked. There is now carpet on both sides. I'm also a bit paranoid about the boot hitting the garage door accidentally so might stick carpet on the inside of that as well!

Luckily it only took a small dink of paint off the trailing edge of the door and I used ChipEx on it and it's hard to tell now unless you are looking!

I feel your pain. Parked too close to a parking pole in a car park and scraped a 1cm wide patch right under the boot lid. Had a service appointment last week for something else and they touched it up for free. The car is filthy so will check when it’s next washed. Couldn’t really see it but I didn’t want bare metal exposed