Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch-up Paint Sources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

berkeley_ecar

S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017
Jul 21, 2014
Berkeley, CA
In my pre-purchase reading in this forum, one thread (and I'm not finding it now) mentioned that Tesla did not even sell touch-up paint for my color -- Midnight Silver Metallic (paint code: PMNG). I called my local Tesla-approved body shop, and asked if they could supply me with some. They patiently explained to me that although they could supply the paint, I would not want to use it, as it (like the original product used in the factory) is water soluble, and would disappear after several washings of the car. What keeps it on the car is the clear coat on top of it. They recommended finding a firm online that makes touch-up kits, which would be solvent-based. Although I did a complete Xpel wrap on my car, that still leaves some
amount of painted space exposed (especially on interior spaces), and I'd like to have some touch-up paint on hand if needed. I was pleased to find a site on the web (AutomotiveTouchup) with an interface that asks you to specify the make, model, year, and color of your vehicle, and the amount of paint you want to order (which they supply in the form of brushable paint, spray paint, or a color pen), and BINGO, they support my color. I will be ordering a paint pen, and wondering how good the match really is. I have no affiliation with this firm, and am certain that there must be other companies providing this service, but wanted to share my findings with other owners.

ADDENDUM: just before finalizing my purchase I noted that they use the same product for PMNG and NEU112E ("Steel Gray Metallic"), so I'm not certain it is an exact match. Will wait and call them tomorrow, and also look for other firms supplying touch-up kits online.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverFollow
Thanks for the info. I went with a kit from Dr. Colochip as I recently had rock penetrate the hood even though it was wrapped with xpel ultimate.
It would be good to get follow-up on how your touch-up goes. If the rock hit was sufficient to penetrate the Xpel, I wonder about the condition of the film around the chip, and how that will interact with the touch-up process and outcome.

I have the same color and my car is a 2015, I can't believe they don't sell touch up paint "yet". Here's what I got from Tesla yesterday 12/7/17:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Tesla. Touch up paint for newer colors remains in development and has yet to be released. We have a waitlist of customers who would like to be contacted once the new paint colors are available. If you’d like to be added to the list, please provide the following:

-Preferred email

-Preferred phone

-Paint color: Midnight Silver Metallic

-VIN: 5YJSA1S1XFFP7XXXX

Let us know if you have any other questions.

[...] Tesla did not even sell touch-up paint for my color -- Midnight Silver Metallic (paint code: PMNG). [M]y local Tesla-approved body shop, [...] recommended finding [...] touch-up kits, which would be solvent-based. [...] I was pleased to find a site on the web (AutomotiveTouchup) [that supply] brushable paint, spray paint, or a color pen[...]

Thanks for sharing the news that Tesla is still working on the touch-up paint issue, FloridaScott. Disappointing, of course -- but understandable, given what they've got on their plate at the moment. AutomotiveTouchup is confidently offering PMNG paints now (you can order by phone using their 800 number), and I have 2 oz. bottles of primer, paint, and clearcoat, as well as a touch-up pen. Happily, I have not needed to use them (and hope I never will), but that also means I can not testify as to the quality of the match or their ease of use.