TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Touch-up Paint Sources

Discussion in 'Model S' started by berkeley_ecar, Mar 30, 2017.

1. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

#1 berkeley_ecar, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    In my pre-purchase reading in this forum, one thread (and I'm not finding it now) mentioned that Tesla did not even sell touch-up paint for my color -- Midnight Silver Metallic (paint code: PMNG). I called my local Tesla-approved body shop, and asked if they could supply me with some. They patiently explained to me that although they could supply the paint, I would not want to use it, as it (like the original product used in the factory) is water soluble, and would disappear after several washings of the car. What keeps it on the car is the clear coat on top of it. They recommended finding a firm online that makes touch-up kits, which would be solvent-based. Although I did a complete Xpel wrap on my car, that still leaves some
    amount of painted space exposed (especially on interior spaces), and I'd like to have some touch-up paint on hand if needed. I was pleased to find a site on the web (AutomotiveTouchup) with an interface that asks you to specify the make, model, year, and color of your vehicle, and the amount of paint you want to order (which they supply in the form of brushable paint, spray paint, or a color pen), and BINGO, they support my color. I will be ordering a paint pen, and wondering how good the match really is. I have no affiliation with this firm, and am certain that there must be other companies providing this service, but wanted to share my findings with other owners.

ADDENDUM: just before finalizing my purchase I noted that they use the same product for PMNG and NEU112E ("Steel Gray Metallic"), so I'm not certain it is an exact match. Will wait and call them tomorrow, and also look for other firms supplying touch-up kits online.

2. berkeley_ecar

3. Haxster

Haxster Member

2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class 755/7755 Steel Gray Metallic "may" be the same as PMNG.
    This might be easier to find off-the-shelf or at a Mercedes parts department.

• Informative x 1
  4. EMdoc12

EMdoc12 Member

Thanks for the info. I went with a kit from Dr. Colochip as I recently had rock penetrate the hood even though it was wrapped with xpel ultimate.

5. berkeley_ecar

Sorry to hear about your Xpel failure -- hope I don't end up in the same situation with my wrap, but this is why I want to have a touch-up kit readily at hand

6. berkeley_ecar

It would be good to get follow-up on how your touch-up goes. If the rock hit was sufficient to penetrate the Xpel, I wonder about the condition of the film around the chip, and how that will interact with the touch-up process and outcome.

7. EMdoc12

EMdoc12 Member

I'll have the expel taken off the hood before I touch it up. Even if its no perfect when I re-wrap the hood I'm sure it will be very hard to notice.