TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Touch-up paint

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Ruffles, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Ruffles

Ruffles Member

I received my Tesla touch-up paint kit today. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to using it?

Attached Files:

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

3. puhiniho

puhiniho Member

Did you ever try it out? I also liked at the Dr. Chip color and just amazed at the video it almost looked like an infomercial, how amazing it works.

I have a few chips and want to buy but wanted to hear if others have had much success.

4. Ruffles

Ruffles Member

I haven't been brave enough to try it :(. Maybe I'll take a look at it this weekend.

• Like x 1
  5. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

When I entered my white pearl it came up with a big warning that the color would not match because of the 3 layers of paint.

Any one have a source of a paint that would match?

6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I have used dr color chip on my pearl white ...ot blended fine ..white is forgiving in hiding things like this ...only other alternative is ask your service center to have their body shop they work with to mix up a bottle for u ..I did that before but was a three step process which is why I ended up going with dr Color chip

• Disagree x 1
  7. puhiniho

puhiniho Member

@P85_DA was using it as amazing as the Dr. Color chip videos show? I have black and have a few chips on my hood and unfortunately the road rash chips on both Fwd. I'm planning to get it wrapped but wanted to fix it before taking it in The videos looks like magic so I was curious to how others have faired using it.Thx

8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Hi yes just like the vids which surprised me ...I had surface scratches didn’t require sanding ..if u require some light sanding get a fine grit (~2000) and do a dry/wet sand ..to smooth out ...also since u will wrap it will cover a lot of that as they typically paint correct first and the compund actually fills things in as well ...good luck !

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

This is actually what the SC did for me. They were able to secure me touch-up paint in about 48 hours which was pretty impressive. My local SC outsources their touch-up paint creation to one of the best body shops in town. I used this to just touch up the gouge in my FWD and now you can barely see it. I think they were willing to do this because it was cheaper than the alternative. Either they mixed me some touch-up paint, or I would possibly ask them to sand + repaint a portion of the car :D

• Like x 1
  10. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

• Informative x 1
  11. bFlat

bFlat Member

My experience with the kit - if you have a deep chip down to bare metal, I don't know how you can completely fill it. I've applied about 5 coats and can't seem to make any progress in filling the whole way. Paint match is perfect though and hide the chip from casual view. I left the full fix to the professionals when I got my full Xpel wrap.

12. Ruffles

Ruffles Member

I gave my kit a try. While it's not perfect, it's better than it was. I think the Dr. Color Chip flip top bottle would be better because it would allow you to easily place a drop next to each chip and then use the squeegee. With the Tesla kit, you have an open paint bottle and a paint brush. It was a constant switch back and forth from the brush to the squeegee and the paint would dry on the brush but overall, I touched up ~30 specs and they look better than before but it is not back to new by any stretch.