Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch-up paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my Tesla touch-up paint kit today. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to using it?

Attachments

• IMG_20180719_111142.jpg
    IMG_20180719_111142.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20180719_111204.jpg
    IMG_20180719_111204.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 209
When I entered my white pearl it came up with a big warning that the color would not match because of the 3 layers of paint.

Any one have a source of a paint that would match?

I have used dr color chip on my pearl white ...ot blended fine ..white is forgiving in hiding things like this ...only other alternative is ask your service center to have their body shop they work with to mix up a bottle for u ..I did that before but was a three step process which is why I ended up going with dr Color chip

• Disagree
Reactions: Numonefan
@P85_DA was using it as amazing as the Dr. Color chip videos show? I have black and have a few chips on my hood and unfortunately the road rash chips on both Fwd. I'm planning to get it wrapped but wanted to fix it before taking it in The videos looks like magic so I was curious to how others have faired using it.Thx

@P85_DA was using it as amazing as the Dr. Color chip videos show? I have black and have a few chips on my hood and unfortunately the road rash chips on both Fwd. I'm planning to get it wrapped but wanted to fix it before taking it in The videos looks like magic so I was curious to how others have faired using it.Thx

Hi yes just like the vids which surprised me ...I had surface scratches didn’t require sanding ..if u require some light sanding get a fine grit (~2000) and do a dry/wet sand ..to smooth out ...also since u will wrap it will cover a lot of that as they typically paint correct first and the compund actually fills things in as well ...good luck !

I have used dr color chip on my pearl white ...ot blended fine ..white is forgiving in hiding things like this ...only other alternative is ask your service center to have their body shop they work with to mix up a bottle for u ..I did that before but was a three step process which is why I ended up going with dr Color chip
This is actually what the SC did for me. They were able to secure me touch-up paint in about 48 hours which was pretty impressive. My local SC outsources their touch-up paint creation to one of the best body shops in town. I used this to just touch up the gouge in my FWD and now you can barely see it. I think they were willing to do this because it was cheaper than the alternative. Either they mixed me some touch-up paint, or I would possibly ask them to sand + repaint a portion of the car :D

Reactions: P85_DA
My experience with the kit - if you have a deep chip down to bare metal, I don't know how you can completely fill it. I've applied about 5 coats and can't seem to make any progress in filling the whole way. Paint match is perfect though and hide the chip from casual view. I left the full fix to the professionals when I got my full Xpel wrap.

I gave my kit a try. While it's not perfect, it's better than it was. I think the Dr. Color Chip flip top bottle would be better because it would allow you to easily place a drop next to each chip and then use the squeegee. With the Tesla kit, you have an open paint bottle and a paint brush. It was a constant switch back and forth from the brush to the squeegee and the paint would dry on the brush but overall, I touched up ~30 specs and they look better than before but it is not back to new by any stretch.

I just used Tesla's touch-up paint kit on our blue Model 3 a couple of hours ago, and the new paint looks very dark, perhaps even black. I wonder if the color will lighten with time to match the car's blue color. The paint kit box does indicate the "metallic blue" color, and the small paint bottle seems to be dark blue. Has anyone else tried the blue touch-up paint from Tesla?