Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just under 1000km, and didn't do the ppf or ceramic coating yet because of a rear bumper paint defect that is waiting until Oct 22nd to get repaired.....and of course today I noticed a fairly substantial stone chip in the front bumper right down to the plastic, about 5x5mm :(

Are there any recommendations for touch up paint? The tesla one is sold out. I'll see if the paint shop doing the bumper can touch up the chip, but the problem is I was scheduling to do the ceramic (and possibly ppf) next weekend, then just have only the bumper ceramic coated 2 weeks after it is re sprayed....I didn't want to wait another month for this exact reason.

Thinking if I can get a touch up kit, I can do it before the ceramic (I'm assuming after ceramic is on using a touch up kit may have issues since nothing sticks well to ceramic...). It's not in a super visible spot, just under the driver side fog lights, but if I can deal with it before the coating I would like to...

Any advice? I can post a pic, but I'm running down errands and the car is charging in a public lot.

So just under 1000km, and didn't do the ppf or ceramic coating yet because of a rear bumper paint defect that is waiting until Oct 22nd to get repaired.....and of course today I noticed a fairly substantial stone chip in the front bumper right down to the plastic, about 5x5mm :(

Are there any recommendations for touch up paint? The tesla one is sold out. I'll see if the paint shop doing the bumper can touch up the chip, but the problem is I was scheduling to do the ceramic (and possibly ppf) next weekend, then just have only the bumper ceramic coated 2 weeks after it is re sprayed....I didn't want to wait another month for this exact reason.

Thinking if I can get a touch up kit, I can do it before the ceramic (I'm assuming after ceramic is on using a touch up kit may have issues since nothing sticks well to ceramic...). It's not in a super visible spot, just under the driver side fog lights, but if I can deal with it before the coating I would like to...

Any advice? I can post a pic, but I'm running down errands and the car is charging in a public lot.
You are aware that ceramic won’t stop it from getting chipped. Ceramic has hydrophobic properties. Essentially it repels water, never looks dirty. PPF prevents stone chips. I would get the official touch up paint if I were you. Just my two cents

Tesla doesn’t sell touch up for MC Pearl White as far I know only basic white. I may be wrong but I’ve never seen it listed. You need code PPSW. When I got my rear bumper repaired and repainted at Excellence the CS guy I delt with there went back to the paint shop and they mixed me up a small container of touch up paint. It’s the correct ‘color’ code but it’s basically only the correct white base color not with pearl and obviously not with a clearcoat. So it’s ok for very small touch ups but not ideal. It’s the one downside to MC pearl white.
I had 2 very small stone chips on my front bumper as well before the PPF. They are now well ‘preserved and protected’ :).
You could try these guys (they have other levels of kits as well):

Gold Kit

Last edited:
Reactions: Ludatik
@03DSG is right - Tesla doesn’t sell touch up paint for pearl white multi coat (code PPSW). The white that they do sell is likely for solid white (different paint code). There are a few US sites that sell it but I don’t think any of them will ship across the border. I don’t know why Tesla itself doesn’t sell it. I like the idea of asking the body shop for a small bottle of it.

The body shop idea is a good one. I'll do that to have some stock for the future.

The main problem is that I have the ceramic going on this coming week (works better for me since I'm off work this week and can be without the car for a few days). My guy is then going to do the rear bumper after its painted and the rear bumper has finished outgassing (they are fixing the paint defects on delivery, not this paint chip).

My ceramic guy said if I can get the touch up paint he would do the front chip for me as part of his work. I also found a company drcolourchip.ca who will come to my house and fix it for $100 cash. They also said they will only be able to use solid white, but I don't think it will be that noticeable since it's a bit hidden....still need to take some pics....

So, I know for < $100 I could buy a touch up kit, have my ceramic guy do it for free, and have leftover for the future, but I'm thinking of using drcolourchip since i dont have time to order and receive the paint....unless I could just walk into crappy tire and buy some solid white and clear and give that to my ceramic guy....will that essentially be the same stuff that drcolourchip would be using?

Added pics...now that I think about it the solid white paint will probably be fine. Also, not worth $100 to have someone fix. I may end up just using some white out :rolleyes:

Seriously though, maybe just a generic solid white from crappy tire for this one, and then ask the paint shop to mix some extra for the future.

IMG_20181013_193108.jpg

IMG_20181013_193114.jpg

The body shop idea is a good one. I'll do that to have some stock for the future.

The main problem is that I have the ceramic going on this coming week (works better for me since I'm off work this week and can be without the car for a few days). My guy is then going to do the rear bumper after its painted and the rear bumper has finished outgassing (they are fixing the paint defects on delivery, not this paint chip).

My ceramic guy said if I can get the touch up paint he would do the front chip for me as part of his work. I also found a company drcolourchip.ca who will come to my house and fix it for $100 cash. They also said they will only be able to use solid white, but I don't think it will be that noticeable since it's a bit hidden....still need to take some pics....

So, I know for < $100 I could buy a touch up kit, have my ceramic guy do it for free, and have leftover for the future, but I'm thinking of using drcolourchip since i dont have time to order and receive the paint....unless I could just walk into crappy tire and buy some solid white and clear and give that to my ceramic guy....will that essentially be the same stuff that drcolourchip would be using?

I used Dr. Colorchip (the USA version) to touch up a couple of small paint chips on the bumper of my pearl white M3. For clarity, I ordered the touch up kit and did it myself. The chips were on the bumper at delivery, but I was scheduled to have PPF on the bumper so didn't want to wait to have Tesla fix it. The results were pretty good. However, the paint seemed to be the base white paint color without the metallic flakes (and there is no separate clear coat either). Dr. Colorchip includes a note in the kit stating that the factory pearl white metallic is a three coat process (white/metallic/clear coat) and their touch up kit won't match exactly but that it's quite close.

I used Dr. Colorchip (the USA version) to touch up a couple of small paint chips on the bumper of my pearl white M3. For clarity, I ordered the touch up kit and did it myself. The chips were on the bumper at delivery, but I was scheduled to have PPF on the bumper so didn't want to wait to have Tesla fix it. The results were pretty good. However, the paint seemed to be the base white paint color without the metallic flakes (and there is no separate clear coat either). Dr. Colorchip includes a note in the kit stating that the factory pearl white metallic is a three coat process (white/metallic/clear coat) and their touch up kit won't match exactly but that it's quite close.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately here in Canada they only offer the service and won't sell you just the paint. You also can't import it across the border.

I am really leaning towards finding something local that matches as best as possible since anything I order will likely not make it here by Thursday which is when the ceramic coating prep begins.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately here in Canada they only offer the service and won't sell you just the paint. You also can't import it across the border.

I am really leaning towards finding something local that matches as best as possible since anything I order will likely not make it here by Thursday which is when the ceramic coating prep begins.

After I got hit I ended up buying 3 CTC paint tubes over 2 days looking for ‘pure white’ to touch up the black chunks on the rear bumper. I just wanted them covered until the repair/repaint. Non were pure white. Tried an Arctic white, a pure white and even Oxford white (my old 5.0 Mustang) and they all looked off-white when applied. MC Pearl White seems to be about as pure white as you can get.
If I was out your way you would be welcome to use mine but I’m in Cobourg. Maybe check with the bodyshop that’s doing your repair? Maybe they can mix you up a tester?

24D34A36-DB60-4B95-AF68-432231B69CEC.jpeg

How did this turn out? I thought ChipFixx was the CDN equivalent?

I bought Pearl White multicoat touch up paint here - www.automotivetouchup.com It comes in 3 separate glass bottles ( far superior to most touch up which usually comes in a plastic bottle with a " pen " which is useless ) containing base white, pearl, and clear coat. I have used these products on all my cars and they always match well. They are lacquer which is easy to remove if you make a mistake which is not the case with the paint the body shop gives you - typically acrylic enamel.