Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch up paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I have my ppf appt for next week and I got my first chip (auto trunk opened in an underground garage and hit a sprinkler head!) Gaa. Does anyone know where I can get the touch-up paint locally in Canada?

Every mail order direct from tesla takes weeks. Hoping to find a fix quickly...

Oh gosh, here is the photo of what I use

Attachments

• 20220630_091728.jpg
    20220630_091728.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 0
What is your car colour? There is a water based product, like Tesla's available online in Canada. I have it in the grey for my model S. I needed something black for my wife model Y quickly before we got the front wrapped. This duplicolor from Canadian Tire worked perfectly. Less messy than the water based stuff.
My car is black (i should go find the code...) I saw those items on amazon, but wasn't sure they would match (but black is probably easier than the pearl and multicoats).

I have a call to the tesla approved autobody shop - they are checking to see if they have some extra already mixed that they can give me - otherwise I should amazon prime that scratches happens stuff...

Upvote 0
My car is black (i should go find the code...) I saw those items on amazon, but wasn't sure they would match (but black is probably easier than the pearl and multicoats).

I have a call to the tesla approved autobody shop - they are checking to see if they have some extra already mixed that they can give me - otherwise I should amazon prime that scratches happens stuff...
The water based stuff is horrible to use and takes some skill. Getting the right amount of paint on there so it srinks while drying is a challenge, without leaving a hump. Also, the paint has to be dry enough, otherwise is blends with the clear coat while trying to finish the product. The Duplicolor is a general gloss black that dries quickly and has a clear coat also in the bottle. Much quicker to work with than the Tesla stuff. Also has a push pin applicator for small rock chips. Overall a way better product.

Reactions: thebarold
Upvote 0
The water based stuff is horrible to use and takes some skill. Getting the right amount of paint on there so it srinks while drying is a challenge, without leaving a hump. Also, the paint has to be dry enough, otherwise is blends with the clear coat while trying to finish the product. The Duplicolor is a general gloss black that dries quickly and has a clear coat also in the bottle. Much quicker to work with than the Tesla stuff. Also has a push pin applicator for small rock chips. Overall a way better product.
The stock touchup paint from Tesla is waterbased? Like in pen form or a small paint bottle?

I watched a YouTube video about Dr ColorChip vs Tesla's version and between those two, it's the exact same product. I considered trying it but I think that pen will suffice by allowing capillary action to fill the chip vs smearing paint around. How's the match overall when it dries? I assume yours is Obsidian Black Mettalic as well.

Upvote 0
Got the car back from ppf. their touchup pen was pretty terrible. (the chip was a good chunk) so i can still see and feel it under the ppf. Oh well. it is on the lip where a spoiler would go so I do have that option.

I had called the tesla approved autobody shop and they had some paint already mixed that they could have given me, however I ran out of time and did not want to push my PPF appointment again.

Upvote 0
Tesla charge my wife/I for a chip in our body panel because her trunk became misaligned and started to rub the exterior body panel (driver side). Her car is a 2021 Model 3 LR.

They stated that the cosmetic "chip" isn't covered under warranty but the trunk misalignment was covered.
WTH?
The trunk caused the rubbing off the paint but you will charge me $90 to "fix" the paint but ZERO dollars to fix the trunk alignment (they replaced a washer or something on the trunk shock). If I had know this and saw this tread, I would have gladly told them to fix the trunk and I'll buy a paint touchup myself.
But based on principal/logic, if your shoddy product caused a cosmetic issue then the vendor/manufacturer should pay for it. SMH.

Reactions: CFinVancouver
Upvote 0