TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Touchless Car Wash that Drags Car - Is that okay?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by cplaw, Sep 8, 2016.

1. cplaw

cplaw Member

Is it okay to get the Model S washed at a touchless car wash that drags the car though? I know the hand wash is preferable, but I prefer the touchless machine car washes because they're so much quicker -- in and out in a couple of minutes. Do I need to put the car in a certain mode?

And is touchless really necessary, or are the other types of machine wash okay?

Are the washes with the soft brushes okay?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

No brushes are soft.
    Touchless wash chemicals are bad for the paint.
    Hand wash only, with proper technique, to keep the best appearance.

• Like x 1
  3. JPP

JPP Active Member

If you are in a car wash that lets you sit in the car, then you just put the car into Neutral, and be sure to keep your butt in the driver's seat. If the car pops into Park, you've got trouble. If the car wash is meant to be driverless, you need to be able to set the car into Neutral and then exit the car. A few more steps that some owners/car wash jockeys don't know how to execute. Thus the car pops back into Patk--not good.

As far as actually discussing car care/paint care, please search these forums for way too many opinions on how and why to wash or wax or polish or detail or OptiCoat or cQuartz or..........

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Don't you have to put it in Tow mode?

This came up awhile back on the X threads in relation to the movable spoiler. Nobody ever came up with a solution for that problem if I recall but the consensus was tow mode for the rest of it.

5. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

First off I do not suggest a car wash BUT if u must, you need to be in TOW mode and you MUST turn off the rain sensing wiper function as well