Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchless Delivery Walkthrough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to get insights on the process of touchless delivery, as I pick mine up on Friday. Specifically, can I ou take your time inspecting the car and can you get inside before accepting delivery if there’s no one to help? Has anyone felt rushed?

When I spoke to a delivery advisor yesterday, he was particularly unhelpful and seemed annoyed at the idea I’d be paying at delivery. His answer to all my questions was along the lines of "someone will call you tomorrow", which as you might have guessed didn’t happen. He practically insisted I pay electronically ahead of time, which I refuse to do for a variety of reasons.

This has been discussed in other threads previously. To summarize for you and others, here is what I know. Perhaps I am wrong with some portion of this, you get what you pay for in free advice. This is based on my experience.

1. Arrive on-time, not too early. Time slots are for many reasons, so try to honor them and not arrive too early unless perhaps you are first one for the day? Social distancing, crowded parking lots, and the ability for the staff there to handle any customer contact are some of the reasons why there are time slots to honor, to space them out.

2. Bring your smartphone and make sure it can access via cellular your Tesla account page AND it has the Tesla app loaded and you are able to sign into the app. The app will not show you much at this point, but you must to be able to sign into it.

3. Find your MY and verify it is yours via the VIN

4. Inspect the outside. If you are going to be that guy who brings a set of calipers and a magnifying glass to inspect every mm then do it quickly. You will be in the way after your time slot expires. You should be allocated 30 minutes (I was) to do complete delivery, no reason why the outside could not be done in 10 minutes or less. Document any issues on outside like paint chips, dents, scrapes, etc. - important to do this before you leave the lot.

5. If no reason to reject based on exterior inspection, no major issues, then you can try to inspect inside but it will be most likely locked. Look through the windows for anything wrong, seats okay, nothing obviously broken, etc. If it is locked, put on your mask and go see advisor inside to submit any outstanding docs and payment, that will let you do accept delivery in your account. You are not going to access the inside without accepting delivery. For people who pay in advance of arriving, there will be an envelope inside with the RFID key cards and paper work to sign, should be completely touchless experience. If you are bring payment, not sure if they do the same thing or you get those inside.

6. After all conditions have been met and payment made, you should be to accept delivery in your account web page. After doing that, give it a few minutes and make sure you car shows up in your account and in your app. You may need to sign out of app and back in again for it to appear. Closing the app and starting again is not the same, you need to sign out.

7. Once your app has your MY in it, you can use the app to open the doors.

8. Inspect the inside and complete your checkout. Again, try to complete before you time slot expires. At this point, anything major issues should have been seen already, and now you are only going to find the small stuff which should be fixable and not deal breakers. No need to use a microscope at this stage, you have up to 72 hours and less than 100 miles on the odometer after delivery to report any issues. So only look for the big stuff right now. If your drive home is less than 100 miles, wait until you get home and then take all the time you want to inspect. Just remember the time and mileage limit cut offs to report.

9. Now decide, still going ahead or not? You've already accepted delivery, chances are not too much can be wrong inside to negate that, you should have seen most of inside from the outside if something bad like seat damage or touchscreen glass was present. Access the envelope, remove the RFID cards, sign the papers with the pen you brought or the pen they give you, place the envelope with all signed papers in the box usually by the entrance, all depends. Make sure to hold on to the RFID key cards.

10. Done, you can now drive away or try to get somebody there to look at your issues while you are there. Sometimes you can get somebody there to do it now, depends on your location, or you may need to submit them via service ticket in the app.

11. When you get home, take your time to look it over and create a list of any issues to fix. Do not expect mm adjustments for everything to be perfectly aligned and spaced. Make sure to notify within the window allotted. Once you drive off the lot, some things if not already noted may not get addressed, like dings, scrapes and damage to the rims. Those things could happen after you left the lot, so make sure to identify those before you leave. Other stuff like the adjustment of a taillight can happen later on.

Good luck with it. And do not expect the fit and finish of a high end luxury or super car. If you are going to be hung up on those little things, then my suggestion is to walk away now. I got lucky with my MY, good QC, none of the crazy issues like others have reported. Remember, we do not have a statistically accurate sampling to know what percentage of deliveries have QC issues. It is like looking on Amazon web page for reviews. Not every satisfied customer will submit a review, there will be some positive, but those with negative experiences will be more likely to post, skewing the actual stats. Yes, I identified some minor things with my MY, but they got sorted. But I am not going to take a magnifying glass to every square inch and use a set of calipers to measure every panel alignment/gap expecting mm perfection. I inspected by eye from a distance and up close and made a judgement call, was it good enough for me? Ultimately that is all that matters, is it good enough for you. If you are going to get hung up on those level of details, not sure Tesla is the best fit for you.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Tesla ended up moving my appointment up to today, which actually worked out well for me. First, it was a beautiful sunny day, so I could see the car really well. Second, it wasn’t too busy.

That said, I don’t see any reason why I would have to feel rushed or limited to 30mins to accept delivery of a car that is known to have had quality issues. Spending the time to look at things closely can pay off a lot in the long run.

It most certainly took more than 30 mins to look at the outside, and I used one of the checklists which was super helpful. In the end, I documented 22 different issues, although only 3 I’d qualify as must fix. While I appear to have gotten lucky on the paint side of things, I did find a scratch on the interior side of the panoramic roof.

I actually caught it before accepting delivery and talked through it with a Tesla advisor to confirm they would fix it. At least here in WA, I had to insist on being allowed inside the car prior to accepting delivery. I also refused to hand over my bank information to them (which they keep and give themselves the right to use later, as an FYI). There’s zero benefit to paying ahead of time since you have to hand over a bunch of documents, so a check is quite minor.

I was really surprised to see other people barely do a walk around their car, hop in and leave. There’s no way they could catch issues like the many that have been described here. To each their own I guess!

• Informative
Reactions: CO_MY
Thanks for getting this thread started. I got a call last night saying that I needed to do a funds transfer and accept delivery prior to being able to inspect the car today.

I'd much rather inspect first, and then hand over the funds. But my delivery center tells me that's not an option.

How did you get them to allow you inside the car prior to delivery?

I posted my touch less delivery experience in the “....happy with their car” thread.

It was definitely a new car buying experience. I was disappointed in how it went down.

Good to know about the 24 hour comment. The rear hatch and rear seats need to be aligned.

Having said that, we are enjoying the car.

Thanks for getting this thread started. I got a call last night saying that I needed to do a funds transfer and accept delivery prior to being able to inspect the car today.

I'd much rather inspect first, and then hand over the funds. But my delivery center tells me that's not an option.

How did you get them to allow you inside the car prior to delivery?

Sorry if this is coming late. I did it twice - first, when the delivery advisor told me the same thing, and again a second time in person. The first time was the key though.

I first asked a simple question - can I pay the balance by check at the time of delivery? The answer to that question here in WA is yes (note: I believe some states don’t allow this because Tesla isn’t considered a dealer there).

My second question was about process. I worded the question carefully and purportedly didn’t ask *if*, instead asking *how* I would get access to the car. The initial response was « you can’t », but I said I wasn’t comfortable accepting a car sight unseen so he got the hint, checked with his manager and confirmed I could ask for someone on delivery day. Important: make sure to write down this person’s name so you have it for your records.

Third, on delivery day I got the same line. However, now that I had the person’s name, I just told them « I asked about this before delivery and so and so told me otherwise. Can you check? ».

I started my exterior walkthrough and a couple of minutes later, the car was unlocked remotely.

Reactions: HeartSong
Does anyone know if Tesla wipes any of the interior down to sanitize prior to delivery? Or - a good product that I can use that would sanitize things like the steering wheel, etc without harming the material/finish?

Reactions: CO_MY
Does anyone know if Tesla wipes any of the interior down to sanitize prior to delivery? Or - a good product that I can use that would sanitize things like the steering wheel, etc without harming the material/finish?

I personally saw my service advisor getting out of my car with sanitizer and wipe in hand when I showed up for an appointment a few minutes early, so they definitely do keep things clean. That said, if you're worried, just bring some clean wipes of your own, although technically my understanding is that Tesla advises against using any harsh cleaning products on the interior.