Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touchscreen broken today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 for about two weeks and everything has been going well with it. However, this morning when I got in my car I noticed the rear-view camera wasn't working as I backed out of my garage, then I noticed the music was stopped, then about 10 seconds later the screen went black. I held down the keys on the steering wheel to reboot it, and (slower than normal, it seems, at least compared to my old Model X) eventually it came back. But there were a couple of obvious problems I noticed: the cellular data symbol had a line through it (i.e. there is no cellular connection, apparently), and the radio/music display at the bottom of the screen just had a spinning "loading" type of display. And then, 5 seconds later, it went black again.

This happened about 10 times on my way to work. It kept coming back after showing the Tesla logo, then crashing 5-15 seconds after the display came back. When I got to work I was unable to lock the doors. The phone interface shows the car as still being at my home and simply says "Updated yesterday" at the bottom while trying to connect to the vehicle (the location for which it shows as my home, not my work, where the vehicle is currently parked).

The app on the phone says the vehicle is running version 2017.50.10 563d37d.

This problem underscores one major difference between the Model 3 and previous models: the lack of another display (in front of the driver) makes it very difficult to use the vehicle while the primary display is rebooting (no turn signal sounds, no speedometer, etc.).

Any ideas on what I can do to get the UI working again?

That stinks. Maybe try a powerdown?

Turn signals stop in an S when the center is rebooted.

There is no speedometer on the center when the dash is rebooted.

May make things a bit “dark” but the two screens do not provide redundancy.

Have you tried to hold down both scroll wheels to reset it?

Yes, I did that 4 or 5 times while driving to work. I'd eventually see the Tesla logo, then it would go black again, then I'd see the UI on the screen, and I could use it a bit, but it would always go back to a black screen after 5-15 seconds (rebooting on its own, I assume, since it would then come back with a Tesla logo and then the UI about one minute later, only to repeat the process over again after 5-15 seconds).

My best guess is that the music app is crashing, bringing down the whole system, since when the display comes back I see the nav display, buttons, and everything else seems to be working, but the music strip at the bottom just has a spinning "loading" symbol.

One more interesting thing: the clock showed something like 4:07pm, even though it was around 9:00am.

Last edited:
Good to hear you're back up and running. If you didn't call the service center, I'd still call them to have them pull the logs to see if there is a software issue that could be fixed with a future software update.

Since you suspected the music player was crashing the GUI, as soon as it booted up, I'd try switching to a new sounds source. You may not be able to select anything in the GUI, but maybe the voice control would work. Something to try if you notice it again.

I’m not sure if the cellular connection and music player are symptoms or causes. When the screen reboots it would be expected for it to take a short time to power up the cellular modem and re-establish the cell connection. It’s certainly possible that the screen just kept rebooting before the cell connection could be established. And likewise, if the car has no access to the internet because the cell connection is down then it would be normal for the music player to be stuck on “loading” if you had it set on a streaming station. It won’t be able to load anything until the data connection comes up.

It’s possible that there was an issue with the music player causing the restarts, but I suspect that what you observed may have just been symptoms instead.

Sounds kinda similar to my model 3... but mine was a bit worse (just dropped off at service center so don’t yet know what was wrong)

However for me it was as if the screen wasn’t communicating with the car- the screen wasn’t “frozen” and I could open any menu- but nothing on the screen would affect the car (couldn’t turn on / off headlights or dome lights, couldn’t open trunk or frunk or charging port- and vehicle info was frozen on my current charge of 266 miles and odometer not changing.

Also the car didn’t affect the touch screen- I could shift into drive or reverse but screen still had me displayed in Park- so when i drove to service my screen said I was in Park whole time and had no speedometer (not a big deal- just popped up waze on phone and used it as hud). Also had no cell/lte signal- and gps not updating- on map still had me at home even after driving an hour to service.

I will update once they give me diagnosis, but annoying but I knew I was signing up as beta tester to get an early mode 3 (only had her 10 days and already miss it)

Edit- also- just for complete history- no i can’t scroll wheel reset- tired many times- but not triggering reset at all (it has worked to reset in past)

Last edited:
Well, got my car back tonight, they said they just needed to update the firmware on the touchscreen, which brought her back to life. So far drove the hour home without issue (and thank goodness got autopilot back for the traffic on the way home).

Reactions: CatB